Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325433 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1740 on: November 02, 2013, 02:28:13 pm »

That kinda sounds like a problem that was fixed in one of the recent patches. Why is it using an obsolete version?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1741 on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:55 pm »

That kinda sounds like a problem that was fixed in one of the recent patches. Why is it using an obsolete version?
If you're asking why the server isn't updated yet, well its because I have 2 jobs and am curently in class. I remoted to my home computer and updated it though. have fun.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 02, 2013, 04:17:48 pm »

Ahh. If you're wondering, it is possible to update it with just a console command
On linux: java -jar Starmade-starter.jar -nogui
On windows: java -jar Starmade-starter.exe -nogui
If you have the latest version already it won't update because it doesn't need to, but if it is out of date it'll update it just the same as it normally does if you run the starter GUI and tell it to update.

So it's possible to set it up to auto-update, but you'd have to make a script that would handle starting the server, waiting a day or two, and then safely shutting down the server (e.g. sending it a command to exit) and running that to update it, then starting it back up, and waiting again, etc. (Or perhaps someone else has written and posted one somewhere)

(In theory you could check to see if there's an update available automatically before shutting down the server, but I figure it probably doesn't hurt to unload the server periodically in case there are any performance issues after running for a long time without rebooting.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1743 on: November 02, 2013, 10:03:52 pm »

I'll look into setting up a scheduled job that will reboot/update it or something when I get more time.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 03, 2013, 01:06:05 pm »

I need to know if anyone other than me has experienced serious latentcy on the Forsaken's server.  I am updated to current version, I have confirmed that my internet is functioning properly, I have tried everything that I know how to do, and I still cannot hold a connection to the server for more than a few minutes, I just dimantled my station and tried to fly to a different system to check, but the problem does not seem to be localised in any specific sector.  I had no problems with the server before reset, so I have no idea why I have a problem now, please help me figure this out, I am getting very frustrated and I cannot find anything on the StarMade forums that is anything like this.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: November 03, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »

I have no idea what's up with you, but the last time I could actually connect to the server my ping was in the thousands, and I soon enough got disconnected.

Now, though, I have a completely different problem: I can't update starmade at all! It throws errors at me when I ask it to download an update D:
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 03, 2013, 01:51:34 pm »

Eric, make sure you are running as an admin if on windows, also I could not update yesterday but could this morning, I suspect the Starmade site server is overloaded, my connection moves at up to 50 megs a second and it took almost an hour to download.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: November 04, 2013, 04:59:45 am »

So today I fixed up my captured pirate base and and also spent a little time making my stealth ship able to carry the Pirate Killer ship on it's back. Here's what that looks like:

I think the next thing I want to do with this is make a big shielded ship with lots of turrets to safely convey the whole assembly to pirate stations.

This is an idea I got from reading a thread on the Starmade Reddit.

I also put 6,000,000 credits in the shop as well as several tens of thousands of grey and black hull blocks, in case there is demand for such things.If there is something someone needs a lot of, I might see if I have it (or maybe do some pillaging) and put it in the shop.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1748 on: November 04, 2013, 12:02:29 pm »

I need to know if anyone other than me has experienced serious latentcy on the Forsaken's server.  I am updated to current version, I have confirmed that my internet is functioning properly, I have tried everything that I know how to do, and I still cannot hold a connection to the server for more than a few minutes, I just dimantled my station and tried to fly to a different system to check, but the problem does not seem to be localised in any specific sector.  I had no problems with the server before reset, so I have no idea why I have a problem now, please help me figure this out, I am getting very frustrated and I cannot find anything on the StarMade forums that is anything like this.
Is anyone else seeing this kind of latency? It is US based so if you're over the pond that may be partially to blame.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 04, 2013, 02:07:24 pm »

I'm also in the States, in central Michigan to be specific.  The inexplicable thing is that my roomate, who has his computer situated less than ten feet from mine has half the latentcy, but he got wierd spikes on the server as well, mostly near pirates.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: November 04, 2013, 04:19:10 pm »

Possibly due to your java version (6 or 7, 32-bit or 64-bit), and the memory amount you've allocated for StarMade (in the settings on the very first window that appears when you run the launcher. I'd recommend setting maximal memory to 2048 or more, and to do that you may need to uninstall whatever Java you have and install the latest 64-bit version if that's not what you have. (Unless you're on a 32-bit OS, in which case you can't run 64-bit Java)

Also, if you have turned view distance up, that can also make the game seem slow.

Have any of you looked into cubatoms? I just dove into them last night and deduced recipes (that is, ways to split things and refine their cubatoms to get a desired product) to create these all cheaply (where terrain are the 1 credit terrain, L1 ore is something like 10-15 credits, and plants are similar, IIRC):
Faction module: For 2 terrain (uses 3 components, but uses both components from one terrain, making it actually somewhat efficient)
Black hardened hull: For 2 terrain
Power tank: For 2 terrain
Dis-Integrater: For 2 terrain + 1 L1 ore
AMC: For 2 plants
Pulsator: 1 L1 ore, 1 terrain, 1 plant
Thruster: 2 plants
Power: 1 plant, 1 terrain
Shield Disperser: 2 terrain, 1 plant

The plants are only the cheap plants. No cactus, for instance.
In practice it may be easier to just make faction blocks, sell each stack of 255 for tens of millions of credits, and buy the other systems.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:50:50 pm by Shadowlord »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 04, 2013, 05:34:47 pm »

Yeah, I figured out cubatoms long ago and started making faction blocks to sell from cheap terrain blocks.

Now I know why this feature isn't being worked on anymore.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 04, 2013, 11:26:51 pm »

"Run cowards! I Hunger!"
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:42 am »

Hi guys, after some careful observation on the server I have an unorthodox thought, I said before that the server was lagging very badly for me near pirates right?  Well my roomate engaged a group of Isanths the other day and I noticed that several of the ships were not rendering properly, I was just on the server a few minutes ago, and was engaged by another group of Isanths, and 5 of the seven were failing to render in the same way, they had only the cannon rendered on one side, no hull anywhere else, no internals, and hits to the diamond at the center did not register, they also did not fire their weapons.  I think the problem may be bluprint related, I am going to re-download the Isanth blueprint from Starmade, I suggest for Forsaken to do the same.

Edit: Okay, after downloading a recent copy of the Isanth VI .sment file my disconnects have fallen off sharply, I am still getting lagged to hell and observed dozens of debug messages about sectors causing lag on update, many of these sectors were near my travel path back to my home base at 43, 23, 22, but I passed through less than a third of them myself.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:55:18 pm by NullForceOmega »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 05, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »

I also get debug messages of the sectors surrounding my station base as causing consistent 1000ms server lag. When I go out to check them there is nothing at all there.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 181