Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325575 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early alpha) (we have a multi server!)
« Reply #1545 on: September 04, 2013, 06:38:48 pm »

I think it might be okay, since I know for one Eric Blank has a station inside of his planet, and at some point we made an elevator that started on planet and headed toward the nearby star (though we didn't actually make it to the star itself, if I recall correctly) without any noticeable effect on the server.

My station isn't connected to the planet, though: that's actually impossible because the game is set up so that two objects cannot occupy the same space/be connected to one-another through any means besides a docking module. My neutral docks station was built so that it sits inside of a large hollow chamber I dug out. Safe, though. I think you're affected by the planets gravity still.

By the way, I will be unable to actually join the server via my personal desktop because my wireless adapter cannot connect to our router properly: I almost immediately get booted from the server if I manage to connect at all.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:09:00 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 05, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

The bay12 server really needs more players.
Or a reset, I can't find pirates anywhere, it seems most pirate bases have been killed and stopped spawning.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:34 pm »

The bay12 server really needs more players.
Or a reset, I can't find pirates anywhere, it seems most pirate bases have been killed and stopped spawning.

If you're in StarSys -1,-1,-1, you're not going to find many pirates. Most of the sectors in that system have been settled pretty thoroughly.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The docking bays are in place. Once I get the outline of the city, people are welcome to come and build embassies.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:26:32 pm by Glloyd »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 05, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »

Mos Eisley, I take it?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 05, 2013, 06:08:29 pm »

Mos Eisley, I take it?

Soon to be something along those lines. Docking bays on the left are private and the ones on the right are public.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: September 06, 2013, 02:15:52 pm »

I hope Schema implements an orbit system, so we can make death satellites over each others' planetary and asteroid cities. Maybe just something hacky, like an "orbit computer module" which you just point at a planet and it just makes the object attached to it go round on a path.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 06, 2013, 02:21:42 pm »

I hope Schema implements an orbit system, so we can make death satellites over each others' planetary and asteroid cities. Maybe just something hacky, like an "orbit computer module" which you just point at a planet and it just makes the object attached to it go round on a path.

There is something like that. Ships in near a planet will stay there hovering over it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »

There is something like that. Ships in near a planet will stay there hovering over it.

That's because it's the entire sector that moves, not the planet, so anything in the sector will remain at the same relative coordinates within the sector.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:15 pm »

That's because it's the entire sector that moves, not just the planet, so anything in the sector will remain at the
WILL REMAIN AT THE WHAT!?

Sorry, I'm using a horrible netbook and I keep tapping the trackpad thingy accidentally, this time it clicked the post button prematurely.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1554 on: September 06, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »

Durnit, I was going to play on the server, but it's not running the latest version.
Give me a break, the guy updates 2-3 times a week sometimes. When I get a PM about it I generally update it immediately so let me know. :)

Its updating now.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:11 pm »

@ forsaken1111: Yeah, I frankly didn't even want to bother you with it right away until a hotfix came out because the comments for the devlog mentioned server crashes and the update itself didn't have anything particular exciting (other than AM cannon particles now gaining speed relative to the ship they are shot from and the fact that it seems that nav targeting will now point directly at the sector instead of making you turn from sector edge to sector edge, if I'm interpreting things right, which will be great for trans-sector travel).

Anyway, I did some testing, and it appears that the sideways firing thing mentioned a few updates ago only works with AM cannons, and it bugs out if you enter a cockpit module, so the missiles strafing fighter will have to be put on hold.

However, I did find something interesting out. If you enter a ship and switch to a docked ship with the up or down keys, you can exit next to the docked ship's core. Sensible enough.

Anyway, where this get's really interesting is that this same method can be used to teleport across a large station. Simply enter the nearest docked ship, press up or down, and you'll be transported to the next or previous docked ship and can exit at your leisure. The system is a little buggy in that, since there is no ship core, if you get to the end of the line of docked ships, you'll just exit at the station's center (so I recommend putting a teleport pad there); also if you have turrets, you might accidentally disable their AI modules if you docked one in between putting in a teleport pad or accidentally go up or down to far. That said, having an instantaneous transport method is worth working out the few kinks in the system.

Oh, and I have some testing left to do that will require the assistance of the rest of you. I have installed teleport bays in my station at -8,-4,-3, and all of them should have permission blocks next to their docking ports (the "pads" themselves are unfactioned). If some people outside of my faction could go try them out and see if they work for them and if they are able to get into my docked ships and fly them by this means, that would be appreciated.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 06, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »

So I'm downloading this right now. Is there an offline mode where I can learn how to play? Or can I derp about in the Bay12 server?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 06, 2013, 04:00:55 pm »

You can play single or multi.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 06, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »

So I'm downloading this right now. Is there an offline mode where I can learn how to play? Or can I derp about in the Bay12 server?
There is an offline mode, and the tutorial isn't very comprehensive, so you can do both!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 08, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

Found a nice server that just had a fresh start 3 days ago. No more resets are planned soon. There's always at least about 7 people online.
It is a a PvP server with a safe zone ranging from -7,-7,-7 to 7, 7, 7. Inside the safezone there will only be consentual PvP.
There's only 4 factions allowed (and those already exist). So new players will need to choose a faction, or decide to brave the universe without a faction home.
It has custom designed pirates, for more fun.
Players can store 3 blueprints in the catalog, and recipes only cost 100 instead of 5000 items.
There's a size restriction for personal ships of 100k blocks. Each faction is allowed to have 1 flagship that may be up to 200k blocks.
Note, that turrets do not count towards the block limit.

I started a guild, Mothership Inc, and (re)started work on a modular flagship.
It would be fun to have some bay12 folks join us up there. I could use someone to help me design turrets and fighters, and I will need pilots as well.
There's also a RP bad guys guild, and two more to choose from.

If you'd like to join a server with some friendly folks from a broad range of timezones, please post a reply in this thread, so you can be whitelisted:
http://star-made.org/content/mature-server-mature-individuals-150km1-item-recipe-purchase24-7-uptime

Here's my WIP, the Grandmother, hanging at the planetary dock.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 181