Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325557 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

No, I figured that could be the case, so I specifically made the box large enough to allow the ship to fit from the point where it connects (i.e. right under the tower). The issue was the facing. The game doesn't want to allow the ship to dock sideways.
You can change the dock module facing with ctrl menu. The arrow points to where the green box will be.
I can change where the docking area will be in regards to the block, but I can't change the facing. There's no way to reorient the docking area to be sideways while still keeping it above the block. The ship will always try to align lengthwise to the thing it is docking to.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, after playing far too much minecraft and getting sick of it, I was unable to continue playing star made. Especially when the way you obtain materials is 10 times more tedious and boring.

If anyone wants my big green ship with the docked healing ship and turret, you can have it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, after playing far too much minecraft and getting sick of it, I was unable to continue playing star made. Especially when the way you obtain materials is 10 times more tedious and boring.

If anyone wants my big green ship with the docked healing ship and turret, you can have it.

*Sigh* I will admit I am in the same boat. Without much to do or any challenge (and with the tools being rather bothersome) I too have kind of stopped caring.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, I figured that could be the case, so I specifically made the box large enough to allow the ship to fit from the point where it connects (i.e. right under the tower). The issue was the facing. The game doesn't want to allow the ship to dock sideways.
You can change the dock module facing with ctrl menu. The arrow points to where the green box will be.
I can change where the docking area will be in regards to the block, but I can't change the facing. There's no way to reorient the docking area to be sideways while still keeping it above the block. The ship will always try to align lengthwise to the thing it is docking to.

If you're trying to align part of your ship with part of the planet, change where the module is. It's the best you can do. Very annoying, I know. There are times I wish I could not have a big ole arm and just dock nose to module dead on without making a ship unflyable.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Raid a pirate base, get all mats forever
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The server does have configuration options and loot is usually dropped to 0.1 or 0.2 or disabled entirely.

Also, I am not sure how "I vacuum up the disabled spaceship with my space vacuum" is more tedious than "I punch a tree. I punch some stone. I arrange stone and wood in a box in a strange pattern and magic it into a pickaxe, and then hit more rock with that." #doesntminecraft
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Well the punching trees an hitting stone, at least initially, takes very little time, so it is nice and broken up. Later on when you are strip mining and you spend several hours digging it feels a lot better because it has this operant conditioning mechanism built in where you randomly get something you value highly. If stripping down ships provided less value for the average block, but had a chance for a very high valued block, it would feel a lot better.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

> operant conditioning
> feels better

That's terrible and you should feel terrible.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Look that is just how it works. We feel better about repetitive tasks when operant conditioning is involved. Can this be exploited to get people addicted to crappy games? Yes, easily, but that doesn't make it inherently bad. Portal was a series of more complex operant conditioning chambers, and that game was great because it was using conditioning to keep your pace going while at the same time having a great design.

I'll feel terrible when I feel like feeling terrible. Most likely around the same time I start using the '>' arrows like this is 4chan.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno, I think that if we had some actual, y'know, variety in stuff, and if pirates all had something on them and the returns weren't so ludicrously random so as to give players an incentive to do something instead of lucking out on 1500 units of the most expensive minerals and just buying everything else... well, it'd be much more interesting. Right now, we have exactly one type of usable weapon: AM cannons. It's the simplest and most reliable weapon, for use everywhere. For everything else, you just use money and blueprints. I know the game's in alpha, but it really needs some variety. Cannons of different types, fire-and-forget missiles that only track enemies, combat beams of different effect, antimissile systems. Different kinds of armor that does more than just absorb damage or has more uniqueness to it than a fancy color. Maybe even different types of shields, different types of power generators, engines, etc, etc. Similar games like Minecraft and Terraria ride out on sheer variety of the otherwise simple things you can do. StarMade needs to have that variety in order to be interesting.

And of course, more challenge. Horrible alien fleets of insurmountable power in far-away sectors, roaming squads of Von Neumann drones that salvage anything they see, pirate raids that are more than a few pesky fighters from an easily squashable station, that kind of thing.

edit: On other news, bringing a new meaning to the acronym AMC, my home is now protected by a turreted antimatter... cactus.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:25:36 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

We'll almost certainly get more variety later in development. As it stands it might actually be easier on development to keep things as simple as possible while working out the game engine and mechanics, so that we have a standard kit for testing purposes. There's plenty of room for variety, like lasers, reflective armor to repel said laser fire, etc... But all that could turn into a huge pain in the ass for Schema to keep up to date on top of what we have now. Kinda like how Toady doesn't want to work on tutorials or put too much into the GUI right now: If he did, that'd just be something that would tie down development every update.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

Well IC2 Minecraft is way better than Starmade but notice that Starmade is currently in alpha and has a lot of potential to be more fun. I like playing MC but I need space ships, but to my knowledge the Zeppelin mod is not updated for a long time. (The best mod aside from IC2). The downside is that the mod does not work on multiplayer and I NEED PvP, thrill, and shit to survive. Starmade lets me at least blow up some pirates and planets (When will we add battlecruisers to their enemy pool? Srsly, I dont want to fight small shits that do nothing.) Oh. And the 50 speed limit kills ALL the thrill. So im currently gone being head of shitcurity in Space Station 13.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:53:20 am by DarkWolfXV »
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minecraft does not have variety. Mods (programmable blocks, my doG!) have variety. Basegame Minecraft has a lot of recolors. Starmade is a step or two up with rotating solar systems, localized gravity, and vehicles that are largely independent from the rest of the grid.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of largely independent vehicles, is it in any way possible to make a part of an object not faction-dependent? I.e. a dock port usable by non-faction ships, or doors that can be opened by anyone? I.e. if you want to make something like a guest area in your base/station, but don't want accidental turret fire or particularly mischievous guests to damage anything.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been requested. I know I have. It should probably be faction dependent as in friends or neutrals and not enemy factions.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 181