Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325509 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1,000 shield blocks ~ 80,000hp

Something tells me that's a pretty damn big nerf.

Something tells me you're confused.
  • 1000 blocks is a 10x10x10 cube. That's 'pitiful' for anything bigger than, say, a heavy fighter.
  • Shield capacity increased for allshield amounts, across the board.

I made this to see how the new shield changes broke down across the spectrum of possible shield block amounts, although I couldn't compare them to the old shield capacity in this spreadsheet due to lacking the formula for it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArfBRDTBNF_LdGY2aGFQaDh2WmRvRmNtRVNybHBjOVE&usp=sharing

I did, however, record the shield stats for four different ships prior to updating, one with 33 blocks, one with 344, one with 27491, and one with 42744, and then compared it to the stats after update, and the capacity went up on all of them. It's 1.6x what it was before for the 33-block shield, 2.36x for the 344 block shield, 4.9x for the 27491 block shield, and and 5.27x for the 42744 block shield. The regen also increased on the two smallest shields and was cut on the two largest, so that the smallest went from have 1/10th the regen of the one that had 10x its blocks to have 1/3rd of its regen. The capacity boosts benefit medium fighters more than light fighters (the light fighter with 33 blocks only went from 5199 max to 8300 max, the medium fighter with 344 blocks went from 16787 to 39609, putting it even further ahead of the light fighter).

That medium fighter would already demolish the light fighter if it hit it more than two or three times in a row. The only chance the light fighter has is to not get hit and to hit the medium fighter constantly so its shield does not start regenerating, because it just barely has as much DPS as the medium fighter's newly boosted shield regen. It would take 100 seconds of shooting without any misses by the medium fighter to take down the shield on the 42744 block ship, if it never regenerated, and if there were no turrets or other ships, and the medium fighter never got shot. My current turret model has ~9500 DPS and is basically a fast-tracking bullet hose, and one concentrated shot would effectively destroy the light fighter outright. The medium fighter's shields could probably hold out for a few barrages, but not for a minute. (I intend to make a revised model as well, which will have more DPS, some shielding, not require extenders, and not be as expensive - currently the turrets are 562k each, checkerboarded with hardened armor, lack shields, and require extenders - although I am wondering if their tallness if a reason they seem to track so fast as compared to short and long turrets)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:16:55 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

I am sad that i'll no longer be able to max the shield regen with my calbiri. Oh well. The up-side is that small/medium turrets are now harder to kill, and small ships mostly dont have turrets. The nerf is in my opinon, is stupid. Almost as stupid as nerfing Ultralisks in SC2. (Nerf the late-game unit which almost no-one used and make it now even more unused.)
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

What? He just rebalanced the game, I don't see how that's stupid. Now ship power isn't actually decided purely by size.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

There are many things I'd like to see changed in this game, actually. Some changes would just make sense.

For instance, you know how the dimensions of docking enhancer units define the dimensions of the attached docking area? How about an extension of that to other things?

For engines, the count of blocks in an array would determine the sheer overall power, but the configuration would determine how that power is distributed. Length puts more of the power into forward accleration, width and height increase sideways/vertical acceleration and maneuverability.

For weapons (AM cannons and missiles), longer arrays would yield extra power per shot, projectile speed, and range, while wider/taller ones increase reload speed. Total block count still increases everything, but dimensions distribute power in different ways, effectively replacing the bugged weapon-tuning implementation.

Mining and other beams would get a bit of extra range from length, and extra power from width and height.

It was literally the first thing that came to mind when I saw how the enhancers affect docking areas. To my mind, it really makes sense - that you'd have a humongous spinal-mounted cannon array be slow-firing but long-ranged and powerful, while a stubby turret-mounted laser that occupies most of the turret's width would fire much faster by default. Not to mention missile arrays.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

What I want to see is a docking beam... No I mean from the other end. Look you know how you can bind your docking ports to undock things from your mothership? Well if those docks were already unused, then you could target a ship to make it dock onto you, if you get what I mean.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I want to see is a docking beam... No I mean from the other end. Look you know how you can bind your docking ports to undock things from your mothership? Well if those docks were already unused, then you could target a ship to make it dock onto you, if you get what I mean.

This or a directional beam from the ship cube on the ship seeking docking priviledges is needed.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are many things I'd like to see changed in this game, actually. Some changes would just make sense.

For instance, you know how the dimensions of docking enhancer units define the dimensions of the attached docking area? How about an extension of that to other things?

For engines, the count of blocks in an array would determine the sheer overall power, but the configuration would determine how that power is distributed. Length puts more of the power into forward accleration, width and height increase sideways/vertical acceleration and maneuverability.

For weapons (AM cannons and missiles), longer arrays would yield extra power per shot, projectile speed, and range, while wider/taller ones increase reload speed. Total block count still increases everything, but dimensions distribute power in different ways, effectively replacing the bugged weapon-tuning implementation.

Mining and other beams would get a bit of extra range from length, and extra power from width and height.

It was literally the first thing that came to mind when I saw how the enhancers affect docking areas. To my mind, it really makes sense - that you'd have a humongous spinal-mounted cannon array be slow-firing but long-ranged and powerful, while a stubby turret-mounted laser that occupies most of the turret's width would fire much faster by default. Not to mention missile arrays.

Thrusters and power already use the same system, and missiles use a slightly different, but related system.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, AM cannons, missiles and thrusters use the same system.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

missile max x,y,dimensions determine reload, speed and lock-on speed.

Thrusters box dimensions determine thrust, just like with powerblocks(but probably a different equation)

Am cannons just goes by block count.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's what it says on the wiki, but I'm not sure if that information is true.
Also, I'm sure thruster box dimension doesn't work like that. Only way to find out is to test, tough.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's what it says on the wiki, but I'm not sure if that information is true.
Also, I'm sure thruster box dimension doesn't work like that. Only way to find out is to test, tough.

I tested it before I posted the last thing.
Thrusters in a formation like:
xx
xx

gives 6.8 thrust

x
xxx

gives 7.something, I forgot, but it's moar!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That does not seem to be true about the missiles. For one, 4x1x1 missiles along the z axis are identical to ones along the x or y axis.

Even if it was the x, y, and z dimensions and they added like power does, then 8 missile tiles arranged into a 2x2x2 cube should (2+2+2=6) have a different result than 8 missile tiles in a line (8+1+1 = 10).

Let's see...

The first one has: 140.4 damage, 53.3 distance, 38.7 reload, 1.5 speed, 10.8 radius.
The second one has: 140.4 damage, 53.3 distance, 38.7 reload, 1.5 speed, 10.8 radius.

I didn't think so. Missiles just go by contiguous block count, the same as AMCs.

(I have tested thrusters in the past and they do work better in configurations like we use for power)

P.S. Ignore everything on the wiki, 90% of it is wrong.
Well, these pages are good:
http://star-made.org/wiki/item-ids
http://starmadegame.wikia.com/wiki/Factories

Not even on the same wikis as each other, but still. Those two are reliable, the others, not so much.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:02:12 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, right now weapons and beams just go by sheer block count. Thrusters and power use the same system, but all they do is multiply dimensions to get one value, power, and then do nothing else with it. What I'd like to see is the different X, Y, and Z dimensions do different things, with the block count still adding to power normally. Power and shields would probably not be any different though. Unless shields become more like actual shields (i.e. they are one emitter with given dimensions, and have "buffers" like the enhancer blocks, that increase their coverage and power), there isn't much you can do to vary them, and power is just power.

Anyway. This docking port tells me the docking area is too small for my ship. I don't know what it's smoking, but apparently it's pretty good stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Either that, or I'm missing something about how docking ports work.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you built your ship by paying attention to the alignment of the ship block with forward being forward and didn't rotate your view, then the belly of the ship will align with the docking module as it touches the green outline.

---->
[_____]
    X
belly of ship points down here

I'm plugging the idea of directional docking all over the official forums. One person wanted another mode to ignore plexdoors, but directional docking beams solves that problem and then some.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:40:50 am by BigD145 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, that might be the reason... See, this here is a planet, and the docking port is probably trying to face lengthways. Is there a way to make the block face sideways, while still keeping the docking area on top?

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 181