Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325501 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I just made a dinky little flitter with two salvage beams, juuuust under 25K. Unless somebody laid claim to every planet visible from the starting point, I think there should be little trouble prospecting for stuff. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Hey guys, I have a stupid question; how do I give the npcs ships? I've been playing for a few days now and the only sign of pirates has been a station that I've gutted.
In singleplayer you have to go to the admin panel of the catalog and set permissions for NPCs to use it.  In multiplayer only admins have control.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Big change to shielding with the latest version. Who knows if it'll stay.

Code: [Select]
Server Fixes

Some servers had problems since apparently closing a socket does not imply flush() on some machines. That basically means the connection drops without sending the last packet. This is causing clients to get EOF exceptions. Please note that you will get EOF exceptions with this version if you try to conenct to a server that is not yet update to this version!

Shield Balance

I don't know yet if this works, but I have changed the balance of shields to be more powerful in smaller numbers and less overpowered in large numbers. The biggest change is an introduction of "shield recovery" on hit. This value is shown in build mode and determines the time in seconds the shields will start to recharge after a hit. This value depends on the amount of shild blocks placed on a structure.

Here is the technical data:

- shield balance:
-- capacity: (shieldBlocks*3.5)^0.66666)*350
-- recharge: (shieldBlocks*4)^0.48)*50
-- introduced recovery when hit (by shield blocks used)

Admin Tools

I devloped a system using abstraction of the original system to enable admin commands from anywhere.
Console Commands

console commands are now possible. Everything not starting with a forward slash is considered a broadcast message and will be posted in chat.
StarNet: remote lightweight admin tool

With this tool (with or without GUI) it's possible to send starmade admin commands or chat (like the console commands) to any starmade server from anywhere. This system uses the Server super password (in server.cfg). You also have to switch the system on to be able to use the remote tool. (default is off, option in server.cfg)

General fixes

- fixed shield shader
- build in server check to check for spamming blueprint buy actions (10 sec)
- fixed modified blueprint detector to only fire once and not on every block
- fixed blueprint detector consequence system
- fixed type setting method for block types over 256
- fixed crash for ships with custom blocks with blocks over 256.
- fixed crash for ships with blocks that exceed the max block type value of 2048
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:22:51 pm by BigD145 »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also a number of other important fixes as well.

I took those shield formulas Schema posted and threw them into a google docs' spreadsheet to see how they came out for different amounts of modules: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArfBRDTBNF_LdGY2aGFQaDh2WmRvRmNtRVNybHBjOVE&usp=sharing
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Makes placing a shield for a turret much more interesting I guess. Also, regen looks nerfed much.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the shield changes, though honestly it's probably because I never build large ships anyways and the changes benefit the small ships I enjoy building.

EDIT: Also, the delay in shield recharge kicking in means that small ships can theoretically eventually break a large ship's shield, though I haven't tried a practical test yet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:41:33 pm by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Server appears to have gone down, I was the only one on at the time though, so it must have gone down from me trying to hand salvage an overloading pirate ship.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: Also, the delay in shield recharge kicking in means that small ships can theoretically eventually break a large ship's shield, though I haven't tried a practical test yet.
Well, a small ship still has to bring the shields to 0 first, but once it did, it can damage the big ship, rather than struggling to keep it down.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Server appears to have gone down, I was the only one on at the time though, so it must have gone down from me trying to hand salvage an overloading pirate ship.
Its back up, and I went ahead and updated.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, a small ship still has to bring the shields to 0 first, but once it did, it can damage the big ship, rather than struggling to keep it down.

I think he was referring to the shield delay

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Is anyone else getting critical errors on attempting to update or is it just me?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did not have a problem updating.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The recharge changes seem to switch from buff to nerf at around 1700 or 1800 units, Anything with less will regen faster than before. (I added the old regen to the spreadsheet, took all of 5 seconds)

In-game I noticed that the time for shield recharge is much less on small ships (0.5 is the lowest I saw), and higher for big ones (4.0 on my largest, but perhaps it goes higher).

Not sure if that's for regen after being hit, or after shields go down - I've been testing missiles and dis-integrators, and those seem to do no damage to shields until they can overcome them, and then they bypass them, apparently.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I just made a dinky little flitter with two salvage beams, juuuust under 25K. Unless somebody laid claim to every planet visible from the starting point, I think there should be little trouble prospecting for stuff. ^_^

Inspired, I also made a 22.7k mining dingy. It has four salvager beams, 8 blocks apiece (0.57sec to harvest a block, so you nearly get 8 blocks/second), 6 mass and 20.2 thrust, 664.1 e/sec power recharge, and 2560 shields w/ 16e/sec recharge. No weapons, no armor beyond supposedly-disposable functional blocks, but hopefully shields of that strength will absorb one or two hits to allow you to realize you're under attack and GTFO, and it accelerates pretty rapidly. 3x5x7 blocks in dimension, and has one plex storage unit. Now Whenever I join a server, I can start with a wee little mining vessel :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, assuming I manage to upload it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am honestly looking forward to a time when the game gets balanced quite a bit more.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 181