Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325499 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

It's a smaller version of my Light Raider, this is the bare core that I'm going to base some future designs on. It currently costs just a bit under 2 million credits.

What should I add on this thing? Turrets? Drones? Anyone have any efficient designs for medium turrets/drones? This thing has massive excess energy regen so turrets can draw power directly from the ship.

Are turrets even any good? They tend to get destroyed easily when I'm under heavy fire.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:23:51 pm by Blaze »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Things to know about turrets:
~ Turret docking enhancers work in lines, rather than blocks. Try to build your enhancers going out in a cross rather than a large cube.
~ Turrets require a BOBBY AI, and if your ship belongs to a faction, a faction block.
~ Turrets can drain energy from their host ship, so don't waste space on energy.
~ Turrets are actually pretty good for providing fire against small ships.
~ Your turrets will get shot up. You can repair them, but it is faster to just buy new ones and dock them on.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thing has massive excess energy regen so turrets can draw power directly from the ship.

Are turrets even any good? They tend to get destroyed easily when I'm under heavy fire.

Depends on how good your turrets are!

Also, if you get MORE POWER (only about twice as much), you can use radar jamming on that ship. Radar jamming is 500 e/sec per 1 mass, cloaking is 1000 e/sec per 1 mass. So right now your current power output could cover radar jamming for 502.5376 mass if it used ALL the power (which is why you'd want extra for engines, guns if you want to use the radar jammer in combat, shield regen, etc).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I like putting energy modules on my turrets, just because if you don't have them any shields you put on your turrets won't work. 

Hard to get turret shielding regen up to snuff, so somebody specifically gunning for your turrets won't get stopped by them, but one or two shield generators generate enough shield capacity to protect them from the one or two stray shot's they take now and then.  So you don't have to replace some every time you encounter a few pirates. 

Think of it as trading a few blocks of damage for an HP buffer, the regen is too pathetic to fully protect them from drawn out combat, but it adds a couple thousand points of damage of stray shots they can take in a short skirmish before actually being damaged.

I prefer the quality of life improvement a couple blocks of shield and energy grant, to the slight increase in output I would get by replacing the power and shield blocks with AMCs.

(I have 3 turret designs up on the catalog last I checked by the way, one of those may prove suitable for your needs, all of them come with shielding)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:03:29 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

I've played around a bit soloing, but I am looking to join up for some server play; but I'm barely functional when it comes to ship control and the like.  Joining a group that can help me through the ropes would be nice.  :)  I'm not exactly sure how good my internet connection is, though; so I have no real way to rate my ping or anything if I join a server. It is cable though, so I shouldn't have any drop-outs or anything.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think most anyone on would be willing to answer questions, regardless of factions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

For the record, on which things do buildblocks actually work?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

They will at least work on stations. Asteroids and planets I'm not sure about, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Planets yes, asteroids no.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

So... purely theoretically, how would one go about joining this server of yours/ours? And are there any guidelines, and/or any things one should watch out for when starting?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

You start the launcher and start game (the server at the time of this writing is not up to date, so you need version 0.09377 to connect) click the multiplayer radio button and enter 68.55.212.49:4242 into the host: port field.  And choose a name at the top.

You will then spawn at sector 2,2,2 at a shop that is most likely out of stock of everything of value so you'll want to have a ship you can import into the catalog that costs 25000 credits or less that has what you need.  or buy an existing ship from catalog>availible that somebody else built and is allowing others to purchase. Then yer good to go.

You can click on the faction button below your inventory and go to faction hub to see all the factions, and it will list their home sectors as well.  And you can use those home sector numbers to determine where everybody is more or less set up at.

And if yer ever looking for a ship in the catalog That one dude in charge of Greiger_Manufacturing makes the best ships.  Just make sure you don't buy a turret or sentry gun if yer looking for a ship.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:22:33 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Hm. 25K isn't a terribly great amount. A decent mining ship is going to cost far more. I guess the best bet is to bring something fast and spend some time manually mining minerals.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm. 25K isn't a terribly great amount. A decent mining ship is going to cost far more. I guess the best bet is to bring something fast and spend some time manually mining minerals.

You can build a semi decent miner by selling everything in your inventory except a ship block and power. If the shop is really tapped out I imagine you'll get a good price. You'll have more than 25k to build/buy.

Pyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, I have a stupid question; how do I give the npcs ships? I've been playing for a few days now and the only sign of pirates has been a station that I've gutted.
I agree, most of us can't make singing rockets either. Unless you count them screaming through the atmosphere towards a fiery doom as singing.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can also buy some stuff to make a semi decent fighter and take on a pirate station.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 181