Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325484 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Is there a way to swap into a turret without having to actually get out and shove yourself into the turret's control core?

Also, is it just me or does the orientation of the SD Cockpit block do absolutely nothing? I wanted a rear-facing parking camera, dammit!
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you can use Cheat Engine to increase the advanced building box size.

WUT

whaaaaaAAAAAT!!!???

also: Salvage beams as a weapon? Yeah! Duh!

Anyone up for trying to make the Monster?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They would be badass turrets. 30-40 blocks tall.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:23:42 pm by BigD145 »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

The latest update seems to have broken things. Connection problems, twitchy ships, ships being in wrong places, projectiles moving in a random unrelated direction but still hitting what they were aimed at.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

The latest update seems to have broken things. Connection problems, twitchy ships, ships being in wrong places, projectiles moving in a random unrelated direction but still hitting what they were aimed at.
Yep. Sounds like UDP to me. Also, the 3-computer test setup he mentions, hehehe. I needed to do that for our MMO project when testing things. That doesn't really surprise me, since TCP gives you so many guarantees we take for often take for granted. Switching a game to UDP pretty much means rewriting a good chunk of your netcode, then writing a wrapper for the UDP to do things you need it to do that TCP does but without the extra stuff you don't need.

TL;Not A Developer version: I'm not surprised in the least and would expect such for a least a few weeks while they grapple with their recent changes to the netcode.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to swap into a turret without having to actually get out and shove yourself into the turret's control core?

Also, is it just me or does the orientation of the SD Cockpit block do absolutely nothing? I wanted a rear-facing parking camera, dammit!
Not that I've found so far, but you can do the opposite thing. From any docked ship or turret, press the up arrow key and you will teleport to the mothership's core.
SD cockpit cameras always only face forward. However, weapon consoles' orientations are respected for their cameras, and they even fire attached guns in the direction that the computer is oriented. Could be useful.

Ok, long post, long counterpost.

A 1000x1x1 generator with the correct equation: 1,003,486 e/sec.
With that equation: 4,960,128.3 e/sec.
But it was obvious it was wrong without doing the math.

First, the last thing, I don't know how you are using that equation but it gives 2.3 million with a 1000 stick, not 4.96 million.
114.8*(((1000+1+1)^1.7030)/3) + 25*(1000) + 1

Second, now you posted another equation, that is VASTLY different from the previous one: "((xdim+ydim+zdim)/z)^1.7" which gave totally wrong values, like giving about 3 e/s for a single powercore.

I am now drudging through the confusing notations.... I can't figure out how it's supposed to be typed out.
Could you type it out in either a program that can show equation, or could you type it out with words?
And what does "sum" mean in this context?
And why so many parenthesise!!!

I've tried typing it in several times but keep getting imaginary results.

I've tried working out the official equation, but it too is written in a strange notation.
1. There was never a /z.
2. It's not "another equation, that is VASTLY different," it is identical to the first one I posted except with a couple constants changed to make the results 100% accurate. And then what I last posted was improved to work with lists, etc. Science marches on.
And what does "sum" mean in this context?
I passed in a list of all the power networks I had, basically. dim gets the length of the list. Operations carried out on the list by the TI-89 are carried out on all members of the list, unless using a function that specifically is designed for lists. sum sums the values of all the elements in the list.
And why so many parenthesise!!!
*facepalm*
So that, you know, things aren't done to the wrong thing.

Here, you wanted pretty equations:
I had to use an online latex equation editor (UGH, it's not automagic! TI-89 makes pretty equations automagically!) to make these.

(Dear latex: Why do you have to make it non-clear what is where as far as exponents go?
I fed it (\frac{1}{1+(1.000696)^{\sum((xyzDimList/3)^{1.7})*.333}}-.5)*2000000+25*(\sum(xyzDimList)-2*dim(xyzDimList)+nonOptimalPowerBlocks)

xyzDimList is a set or list containing the xDimension+xDimension+zDimension values for each power generator network, and dim means length of list. (I could have written |xyzDimList| for cardinality but I didn't know if you'd get confused by it)

If you want, I could rewrite it in reverse polish notation, getting rid of all those pesky parentheses... }:P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:57:06 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

so like, how does this affect us again?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

UpdatenSmupdaten!

So I started work on the security level!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also added but not shown, is another auxiliary dock for security, since you know... logistics 'n' stuff man. AND getaways, you always need a convenient and awesome getaway route if your a prisoner escaping or marines running for their lives!

I'm considering adding some sort of "bunker" to security for... reasons of awesoness. Kinda like the bridge in SS13!

next up is engineering, then-after fleshing out the station and adding a bunch of utility docks-on to building some alot of secondary asteroids!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i think i wrecked things

i have no idea if i actually did, but i'm failing to connect and the game died on me

just as i were doing something awesome too

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Me and Dunamis(sic) seem to have accidentally sparked a war between Greiger_Manufacturing and Army of Darkness when he wanted me to test his shields.  I sent a peace offer, but noone was online with the power to accept it.

Just a heads up to you guys, because my stuff is gunna autoattack you guys until somebody accepts the offer.  I don't want anybody getting mad at me because my turrets shot up yer stuff when ya got near them.

P.S. All my stuff should be at my home base so none of you Army of Darkness guys should need to worry as long as you don't enter my home base sector.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:27:46 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I performed some weapons testing, using the "convert money to rare parts" exploit of blueprints.

Test subject: BB guided missile system.
Amount: 10000 blocks.

Test proceeded as follows.

Experiment 1: All blocks clumped together into a single vaguely rectangular mass. Weapon adjusted for 96% explosion radius, 1% each to reload, range, damage, and speed.

Weapon fired at the surface of a worldplate. Result: mildly impressive hole in the world, roughly 40 blocks in diameter.

Experiment 2: Taking a little more effort, all blocks arranged into a checkered formation, each 100 blocks long, slaved to two separate control units. Adjusting all 100 resulting weapons would have taken too much time, so they were left at default values.

Weapon fired at the surface of a worldplate. Result: Somewhat impressive hole in the world, approx. 30 blocks in diameter. However, most missiles went through the hole.

Weapon fired against the edge of the worldplate, parallel to its plane. Result... this.
Spoiler: Holey smokes! (click to show/hide)
(Note: shown is the side opposite to the one the weapon was fired from. The furrow on the left is the result of firing just one of the two missile bursts. On the right is the result of firing both - predictably, most of the second batch flew off into space.)

Analysis: Weapons seem to suffer massive diminishing of returns when their size is increased past 100 or so. In most cases, a weapon system comprised of several arrays of size 100 will outperform a significantly larger weapon system of size over 1000.

Conclusion: To hell with huge guns. I'm building myself a corvette fleet. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I've made a nice ship. But I can't find any pirates to test it on :c

Also, I have no idea how to make the BB missiles lock onto a target.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was reading a bit about this on the official forums a couple days ago. I plan on doing a couple huge guns for speed and distance. The other 1000+ missiles will be smaller. You just try to outrun that many heat seekers.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i think i wrecked things

i have no idea if i actually did, but i'm failing to connect and the game died on me

just as i were doing something awesome too

yeah now i'm getting eof errors every single time for some reason

woop woop i broke a sector woop

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

I think my Calbiri will have shit ton of launchers 100 rockets per one. It will be a glorious planet destroyer, considering i have 7k rockets with me so far.

Also, Greiger, i accepted the peace treaty.

Forsaken, could you fix the max speed? Its unbearable at 50. Update must have reverted it from 150 to 50.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:31:43 am by DarkWolfXV »
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 181