Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325439 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You might want to recheck that maths:
It doesn't give the correct answers.
I have seen a similar equation before, but it did not give the correct values either.

Do you mean 'exactly correct' or do you mean 'in the right ballpark'? For 'exactly correct', someone would probably have to decompile the source. Oh look, someone did. And that works perfectly, according to my tests just now.

If you meant "I got like 2 or 3 million e/sec and really shouldn't have," are you sure your parens were in the right place? Because that can completely frak it up. It happened to me several times. If you mean "IT'S NOT COMING OUT RIGHT" and you put in the number of blocks where you should have put in the xlen+ylen+zlen or vice versa, that would be your fault.

The last thing I did was this:
{179*3, 178*3, 177*3, 176*3, 42, 5} -> x: (1/(1+(1.000696)^(sum(-(x/3)^(1.7))*.333))-.5)*2000000+25*(sum(x)-2*dim(x))
Representing the power generators which I have set up in this construction at the moment.
The answer I received was 1050057.1038168. In StarMade's build mode I see 1050057.1 e/sec. (Apparently the 1+ is for the core's 1 e/sec)

Ore tiers can only go down via mineral separator, there's no way to make it go up.

Actually, I recall that a certain "PlexRecycler" block or somesuch can make mineral level go up, which would mean that one could make stupid money by buying L4s and selling as L5s.

Anyways, did we end up agreeing on sectors that would be open-PvP, or did that idea get scrapped?

The PlexRecycler appears to do nothing at all as far as I can tell, and I think you agreed on 10,10,10 to 20,20,20?

Max: I like what you had up until Frigate, but that's where you lost my approval. Everything from that point on felt and sounded completely wrong to me, but then, I suppose you can call your ships of the wall frigates and your planetoids dreadnoughts if you really want to.

So if you are thinking that battleships need to be 50,000 mass, well, I disagree. But let's discuss what shield regen and damage values, and ship dimensions, you are expecting for these ship classes, because I think those (particularly shield and damage, not so much dimension, because you can, at least on paper, make a mind-bogglingly powerful ship in 200x200x200, as I will show in a minute) are the real factors which determine how capable a ship is, not mass. If the blockconfig is modified so that hardened hull is at 75% and its HP raised (although this causes issues with existing blueprints - their HP is stored in the blueprint), it helps as well, but otherwise AMCs go through hardened hull just like they do regular hull. You probably don't want to do that because all the hardened hull on the server will suddenly appear 'damaged' and it will bug the hell out of (probably) everyone (and re-rezzing the ship from catalog won't fix it).

So getting back to my point. My largest and most powerful ship at this time, which I named Warmonger, (I don't have it on the bay12 server currently) has a mass of 7004.2, a length of 72m, height of 45m, width of 96m, max energy of 2.192 million, energy regen of 909,240.1 e/sec, is somewhat slow (thrust of 1728), heavily armored in hardened blue hull (with angled pieces and so on), and has max shields of 150,068 and shield regen of 54,982 s/sec.

Its AMCs are capable of around 189,000 DPS, it has nineteen SD-BB missile launchers which each do 223 damage with a blast radius of 16.2, a speed of 2.4, a reload time of 22.4, and a single heatseeker missile that I added last night to test if it would seek cloaked and radar stealthed ships (it did not), and it has 10 turret mounts, and the standard (terrifying but ugly) turret which I designed for it is a massed-fire fighter-slaughtering weapon which does approximately 9934 DPS on its own (per turret), is self-powering (with more power than it needs), and is designed with hardened armor which takes damage and is periodically lost over combats (and can be replaced along with any lost AMCs) rather than having what weakass shields could fit on a turret and be easily disabled by a good fighter pilot. I have yet to get a real test of shielded turrets versus armored turrets against capital ships, though, and fighters die too quickly to do anything. It's only when I fight capital ships that the turrets get damaged, and my suspicion was that those would punch straight through turret shields regardless of how good they were, and then shred unarmored turrets like a cat shredding toilet paper, but I have yet to make an identical-except-for-using-shields-instead-of-armor set of turrets and swap them out and go hunting for pirate bc304s (which are rapidly being driven extinct as they have been removed from the list of ships the pirates can use).

I had noted that Warmonger had fallen into the 'dreadnought' area on all three of the existing scales, and it is quite deadly. It is clearly not a superdreadnought, however, as there are larger and more powerful ships beyond dreadnought, which I would term superdreadnought and planetoid, personally, and likely classify based on shield regen.

But 54k s/sec feels low for a dreadnought, to me. Probably more like a battleship or battlecruiser. It has impressive firepower, but does four times as much damage with AMCs alone as its shield regen rate.

If you're wondering how it looks:
An early in-development version: http://puu.sh/3tjRA
The version in service, taken yesterday (with turrets with battle damage): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26452959/warmonger.jpg
I made some prettier turrets, but they only had 18% of the DPS that those do, and didn't have anywhere near the saturation ability. Two are mounted now so I can see how they do (badly, apparently, they seem to track more slowly too for some reason), and they weren't in either of those screenshots.

Both images actually have the ship upside-down, but there's no up in space. (But then, why can't I do a roll around my forward axis in my spacesuit?)

So what I think is the upper cap on ship capabilities: From what I have heard, there is a 5 million shields/sec regen cap. Now some easy math will show that this is possible to fit in a 200x200x200 ship and still have a bunch of space left, by which I mean "It's only 32% of the space!"

You can figure out fairly easily, for example, that you can hit the 5 million s/sec regen cap well inside 200x200x200. A 160x125x125 box of shield generators would be enough to do it. Of course, that's 2.5 million shield generators. With default pricing and buying direct from the catalog it would cost 687,500,000 million credits, but getting that much money with default settings isn't hard at all. Getting it with altered settings, well, I've done that already. Alas, the price has been raised to 5000 credits each on the server I play on, so my plan to RULE THE UNIVERSE may take a while. Amusingly, the prices all being jacked up are how I've been able to get so much cash so quickly there. Cloaking devices are set as 50,000 credits. I'm mass producing them and selling them at stores with low amounts of them for over 150,000 each (3.15x appears to be the maximum, 3.14x is what I was getting when they had a few but weren't out of stock).

So I'd have to figure that as the upper limit for ship capability. 5 million shield regen, if you can power it (Hit 1 million regen and then quit and make a big cube of power tanks? Will only work if you only have to be under fire a short time, otherwise the tank will probably drain, especially if it's trying to use 5 million e/sec to recharge). But 5 million power (assume the 1 million is needed elsewhere) divided by 25 is 200,000 energy units, and that's an order of magnitude easier to pull together than 2.5 million shield units. That's also divisible by 125 and 160 so it can just be stacked on top of the shield generators (160x125x10).

... and I'm probably going to attempt to do this now, but I should probably do it somewhere which isn't likely to reset soon-ish, which the server I'm on is. :P

Edit:
I dug out the correct equation from the forum thread you posted:

where R is total power regen,
x, y, z are the box dimensions,
and p is the block count

Incorrect.

A 1000x1x1 generator with the correct equation: 1,003,486 e/sec.
With that equation: 4,960,128.3 e/sec.
But it was obvious it was wrong without doing the math.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:57:53 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, long post, long counterpost.

A 1000x1x1 generator with the correct equation: 1,003,486 e/sec.
With that equation: 4,960,128.3 e/sec.
But it was obvious it was wrong without doing the math.

First, the last thing, I don't know how you are using that equation but it gives 2.3 million with a 1000 stick, not 4.96 million.

Do you mean 'exactly correct' or do you mean 'in the right ballpark'? For 'exactly correct', someone would probably have to decompile the source. Oh look, someone did. And that works perfectly, according to my tests just now.

If you meant "I got like 2 or 3 million e/sec and really shouldn't have," are you sure your parens were in the right place? Because that can completely frak it up. It happened to me several times. If you mean "IT'S NOT COMING OUT RIGHT" and you put in the number of blocks where you should have put in the xlen+ylen+zlen or vice versa, that would be your fault.

The last thing I did was this:
{179*3, 178*3, 177*3, 176*3, 42, 5} -> x: (1/(1+(1.000696)^(sum(-(x/3)^(1.7))*.333))-.5)*2000000+25*(sum(x)-2*dim(x))
Representing the power generators which I have set up in this construction at the moment.
The answer I received was 1050057.1038168. In StarMade's build mode I see 1050057.1 e/sec. (Apparently the 1+ is for the core's 1 e/sec)

Second, now you posted another equation, that is VASTLY different from the previous one: "((xdim+ydim+zdim)/z)^1.7" which gave totally wrong values, like giving about 3 e/s for a single powercore.

I am now drudging through the confusing notations.... I can't figure out how it's supposed to be typed out.
Could you type it out in either a program that can show equation, or could you type it out with words?
And what does "sum" mean in this context?
And why so many parenthesise!!!

I've tried typing it in several times but keep getting imaginary results.

I've tried working out the official equation, but it too is written in a strange notation.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I think all the math debate here killed the server.  Just as well I guess, cuz there's another update.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

There's a symmetric building mode?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
On a side note, be VERY careful when doing large, symmetric builds. The symmetry/ship seems to have these sort of 'boundaries' marked out by the extent of the symmetry planes. They expand to encompass your entire ship; except sometimes the opposite side of a symmetric build won't, and the blocks placed on the other side won't appear there. Manually extending them with blocks on both sides is required in that case before the symmetry works properly. Though again, I've never noticed that with anything smaller than my current massive craft which makes the shops look kinda small in comparison.

On another note, I really really wish there was rotational symmetry. Even 180/90 degrees would be amazing [and easy to implement], particularly for generator blocks. my big generator layouts typically include some form of rotational symmetry which is a pain to lay out by hand for each side.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I'd like to share with all the large ship enthusiasts : you can use Cheat Engine to increase the advanced building box size. It could save your fingers and sanity. I just wish I had thought about it sooner now, as I lost many hours in trial & error on my damn engines that are 150 block long and triangular in shape (not to mention that I rebuilt them from scratch at least once, they use hull wedges, and I can only use symmetry in 1 direction...).

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

A tool I'd find most useful is either a line tool (Drag a line of blocks from one point to another), or a way to create panels of blocks by plotting out the corners before it fills in the center.

That last one would be especially useful, as I'm having to do a lot of panels at odd angles and I can't begin to understand how to place the blocks so they meet up on the angle I want.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

Having a problem logging in as Dunamis. It says i have an EOF exception. Anything I can do to fix?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I'd like to share with all the large ship enthusiasts : you can use Cheat Engine to increase the advanced building box size.
That's brilliant.

I have nothing to add, that's just brilliant.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I've got a weird glitch.
I mixed up KB and BB rocket modules, so first I had KB modules that I swapped out for BB modules.
But now the BB rocket computer doesn't show up on my hotbar, so I can't fire it, which is a pretty big bummer. Anybody got solutions?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Head into your weapons menu, choose a computer, and press a number to assign it to your hotbar.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks!

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I'd like to share with all the large ship enthusiasts : you can use Cheat Engine to increase the advanced building box size.
That's brilliant.

I have nothing to add, that's just brilliant.

Something useful as well when doing this : you can still use the arrows to lower the value, but trying to increase it will reset it to 10.

To give you an idea on how useful this is : just adding wedge plating on my 150 block long triangular reactor means placing 450 10-block long lines per pair of reactors.  I have 3 pairs so that's 1350 clicks to add the wedge plating on all engines. But the thruster blocks also follow the triangular shape so they take about as many clicks to build, often even in the dark as I had to follow a line through the whole length of the engine, and in all my fiddling i had to remove (also click intensive) and replace them several times over. Instead of 450 clicks per engine I only need 30 clicks (90 total instead of 1350) if I can use a 150 long building block. And I don't need to follow lines in the dark like a madman.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Updated again.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've made a new ship with 38 10-block AM cannons, 19 10-block d1000 missiles and 19 10-block BB missiles.
A rather sizeable shield generator, too. In total, it's 53x12x20 blocks big. Which isn't too huge, I guess, but not really small either.

It also has 6 turrets, 3 on top and 3 below.
I've managed to fit enough thrusters in so it's still pretty fast.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

Updated again.

Did you turn on the modified blueprint thing?

Cause I have run into some trouble where I bought a ship from the catalog and adding blocks to it caused the detector to freak the hell out and throw 4 million modified blueprint errors, and I really don't wanna get permabanned for that, when I don't even know how to modify blueprints.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 181