Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325443 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Quick! Someone check if that allows some hilarious economic Fable-esque exploits!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Great Maker forgive me for asking this, but if you're trying to make a battleship, why would you use 5x5x5 reactor blocks?
Really late to the response but I like the 5x5x5 reactor blocks (and yes each one is a 9300k regen block with shields in the empty spaces) because I like how they look.  Seeing a bunch of those big old energy blocks around the core makes it feel much more like a real engine room that the scattered looking mess the super efficient designs create.

Besides I have plenty of space in the thruster pylons I use for the actual super efficient power generator lines.  And I have far more power than I can reasonably use.  I can activate a cloaking system to drain all my power and be back to full power under full thrust, with shields recharging and all guns firing in less than a second.

Heres a pic of the ship with dock points showing.  In the catalog it is GM_Broadsword_Advanced_Cruiser

Stats:
Mass: 1291
Power: 61628 (238217 regen/s)
Shield: 37438 (3422 regen/s)
Thrust: 1557
Dimensions(Excluding turrets)
Length: 75m Height:30m Width: 42m

16 main AM front guns
6 Dumbfire rocket launchers for OtS bombardment
12 Greiger Manufacturing AM turrets, 3 Greiger Mnufacturing Heavy AM Turrets
Docking space for 2 shuttles.
6 chests.
Experimental Radar Jammer and Cloaker for testing the effects of short duration use on large vessels.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If this is what you did:
http://puu.sh/3wCDg.jpg

It's pretty inefficient. (I got 6909.8 e/sec, including the 1 e/sec from the core)

Even a naive approach like http://puu.sh/3wCLN.jpg (which can be scaled up) gives 8655.8 (including the core's 1e) e/s. (I made a L, then a smaller L inside it, then a smaller L inside it, staggering them so they didn't touch, etc)

There are optimal 5x5 patterns that generate ~9200 9500 or so, but good luck scaling them up. In any case, as you go to capital ship sizes, you'll find that it's far more efficient if you don't try to compactify your power generation.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:10:51 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

9927 is the best found. 9500 is the easiest to remember. I don't know why you're talking about anything under 9500.

Greiger below me has the 9500 version.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:55:44 pm by BigD145 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not 100% about efficiency.  I like it when I can but I like the core room to look good.  And to me a bunch of large cubes look better than a bunch of long lines.

and I'm using this 5x5x5 reactor design.

P.S. No I did not design that reactor myself it came from the starmade forums.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:01:03 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

Im in process of making my Calbiri class vessel, and the power regen so far is 900k. I wonder if i'll be able to hit a number significantly higher than that.
Also, 16k shield regen so far, and 16k thrust. And im not even at 1/5 of the ship yet.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some servers are reporting problems. For the admins: please switch to TCP in the server.cfg (hotfix has TCP as default)

Furthermore, the trading guild will now restock shops on arrival if at least one ship survives (can be switched off in the server.cfg).

Since the old system was very unreliable in detecting if structures overlap each other, I implemented a detector that based on heuristics checks single blocks that return a penetration depth over a certain margin. Since this can happen naturally when bumping into stuff especially with high speed, the block is checked by inverse transforming it to the space of the object it's colliding with. The the number of blocks in exactly that area is checked, and if that value keeps being height for over 5 seconds, the object is warped out of collision. This will hopefully prevent servers breaking down in lag from objects being stuck.

---
1 million is the limit for tricks. After that you have to go with raw block numbers as each one is only 25 recharge.
Im in process of making my Calbiri class vessel, and the power regen so far is 900k. I wonder if i'll be able to hit a number significantly higher than that.
Also, 16k shield regen so far, and 16k thrust. And im not even at 1/5 of the ship yet.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

25 is not that bad. I mean if you push it you might get to 1.1 mil if you are really trying hard with the size of my vessel. Still dont know what to do with such power.

Also, is there a power limit? Not power regen, but max power? Im so far at 133k.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25 is bad. Tricks get you hundreds per block.
Specs on left. Not even near finished. Yes, that's 10 million power bank and 1.8 million recharge. There are only 5 blocks between inner and outer skins and it's not even 1/20th full.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:17:00 pm by BigD145 »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Hm... I have an odd blueprint bug.

So I fiddled with my stealth bomber design so I could make a stealth raider (All I did was swap out the 1 big dumbfire missile launcher for 8 divided AMC and a few more thrusters). The game froze when I attempted to save the blueprint.

The blueprint itself loads correctly, but the price is 0 credits.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Guis.
How do I good at game? Mainly, how do I get new blocks and stuff? Planets are really buggy for me. Falling through them, not loading visually etc.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well if you can't go to planets you can try to mine some asteroids to make a ship capable of taking on a pirate base.  Once you take on a pirate base, well... lets just say their loot is absolutely broken in the value of the stuff they give you.  I've only ever taken out one pirate base and sold the mats, and I can buy 50 of my cruisers if I'm so inclined.

Most folks could probably even buy a few copies of BigD's ship with only one or maybe 2 pirate stations looted.

For taking out pirate stations shields are almost imperative.  Missiles if they hit will also do a whole lot of good, they will still show up as an enemy but a good missile hit will destroy the docking block underneath the turret, and once they lose that block they are helpless.  Once you've removed the turrets see if you can take out the faction block with AM guns (near where the targeting icon for the station is.)

If you hit it for 0 try to use the t menu to increase the damage of your AM guns.  As long as you hit for 1 you can slowly wittle it down and destroy it.  If no matter what you do you can't hit the faction block for more than 0 you have to do things the hard way. 

Near the faction block there's a hallway crossroads.  It contains the pirate loot.  You can access the chests and loot the valuables (Lv5 ore is most valuable) if the faction block is down.   If you can't destroy the faction block you can destroy the chest with ship guns and walk over the loot.  But that's less selective and chances are your inventory will fill up.  And the game destroys everything you pick up with full inventory.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:10:18 pm by Greiger »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most folks could probably even buy a few copies of BigD's ship with only one or maybe 2 pirate stations looted.

It's getting close to 400 million credits. One pirate base could buy ... ten or twenty?... Unless the server is reset I think I have 5500 L5 ore, which is max money times 2 or something like that.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I just recently got ambushed by a little pirate ship... that carried, among other miscellanea (like tree leaves), 191 units of whichever mineral of L5 quality. Which is, if I recall correctly, a million credits apiece. So I could build my next ship out of money if the game let me. :P And that's one little ship. Can't imagine what sort of stuff a base would have.

* Sean Mirrsen stocks up on storage blocks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:21:19 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. Now there's a thing. Build a faction homebase out of L5. It would be unpurchasable.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 181