Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 181

Author Topic: StarMade - Minecraft IN SPAAACE! (early access) (its still alive!)  (Read 325404 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

The idea was that they would cloak as a form of defense, rather than depend on taking the hits. Except pirates aren't smart enough to cloak.

If we design a few ships that would be interesting as pirates, would we want to remove the standard design from the pool? Also, if we add larger ships, will they arrive in the same numbers as the smaller fighters?

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile

I haven't decided on a name for this thing yet, but BEHOLD!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right now, it has ten turrets, many of which refused to pose properly for this screenshot.

It is also not even close to being finished. The Aquila was added as a celebration for breaking the 40k block margin.

Current stats:
40.000+ Shield power, 4.500+ Shield Recharge
300.000+ Power Storage, 35.000+ Power Recharge
10 Turrets
1 Tactical Nuclear Torpedo Lance
1 Antimatter Lance Array
16 Fury Homing Missile Silos
Too many Heat Seeking Missile Pods, pending to be scrapped.

It is also all singleplayer/private friends-only-server, because multiplayer servers are ohgodfuckinguberchargedpiratesarerapingme.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After hours upon hours of work, here is the new improved version of the ship i'm working on :

Link

The only issue so far is that it requires colossal amounts of energy for propulsion, and with the cap on energy production, it's impossible to keep up. Energy storage still makes it possible to use thrusters, but only in bursts. It has very good acceleration for it's mass, though, so maybe I should remove some of the thrusters and pack some other things in the nacelles. At first the rear part was supposed to be the main thruster exhaust, but seeing how it has already more than enough propulsion, I changed it to serve as hangar bays. It actually looks pretty nice this way, I think.

Still, the amount of time required to build this is incredible, even something as trivial as making the black nozzle things for the nacelles took several hours, especially given how the symmetry isn't even in both axes so it was "only" building left and right together (that's a direct result of the changes I made to correct the oversized-head effect).

I still have a lot of work to do, but I find this part the most interesting, since now I have all this room to play with and decorate. The interior is still very rough but I'm starting to create rooms and basic subdivisions inside the ship.

Edit : nice ship, Julius ! I love the "Aquila". I think i'll do something similar on my ship, but blue and using some kind of viking runes to write "MJOLNIR".
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:27:16 pm by Sirian »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That a hell of a ship Julius!
I really like the "battleship" style cannons!

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile

I haven't decided on a name for this thing yet, but BEHOLD!

Right now, it has ten turrets, many of which refused to pose properly for this screenshot.

It is also not even close to being finished. The Aquila was added as a celebration for breaking the 40k block margin.

Current stats:
40.000+ Shield power, 4.500+ Shield Recharge
300.000+ Power Storage, 35.000+ Power Recharge
10 Turrets
1 Tactical Nuclear Torpedo Lance
1 Antimatter Lance Array
16 Fury Homing Missile Silos
Too many Heat Seeking Missile Pods, pending to be scrapped.

It is also all singleplayer/private friends-only-server, because multiplayer servers are ohgodfuckinguberchargedpiratesarerapingme.
35k power regen is absolutely abysmal for 40k blocks. Look back in the thread, proper power core construction has been explained a couple of times if I remember correctly.

The rest of it is looking pretty great though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile

-snip-
35k power regen is absolutely abysmal for 40k blocks. Look back in the thread, proper power core construction has been explained a couple of times if I remember correctly.

Haha, yeah. The only redeeming quality is that there's barely anything on it that really grinds down my power. It'll probably get more reactors later on.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I won another dogfight!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-

Haha, yeah. The only redeeming quality is that there's barely anything on it that really grinds down my power. It'll probably get more reactors later on.

This may help: http://star-made.org/content/power-generation-cracking-code
My first post in the thread starting to explain what's going on with power generation: http://star-made.org/comment/18400#comment-18400
Quick summary: The x, y, and z dimensions of each connected set of power generators determines primarily how much power it will generate, and this is exponential, until your total there ((xdim+ydim+zdim)/z)^1.7 or so starts to get up near 1 million. At that point gain starts to slow down. It won't go past 1 million. However you get 25 e/sec per power gen block in addition, so it's still possible to gain more power, just inefficiently.

(I'm Trafalgar on the star-made forums, by the way)

Also, engine thrust is calculated the exact same way as power. So you want long lines of engines or +-shaped engines, not individual engine units and not large blocks of engines, for maximum engine efficiency.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:09:08 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I like designing things. I rarely care about sheer power.

The Tabula Rasa is something of a salvage ship. It's quite powerful enough to fend off default pirates (how does one give them different ships, btw?), but its primary use is heavy mining. And stripping the pirate ships down in seconds once their core is overheating. The tower is primarily useless decor, but it does provide an extra five sets of "eyes" if the two viewports up front are taken out. Pretty agile too, but can either fire continuously or move continuously, not both.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, so the most efficient design of power and thrust is something like that :

X O X O X
O X O X O
X O X O X
with X a line of power, and O a line of thruster ?
But other stuff (weapons, shield) works best as a cube ?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Power generators get a Dimension bonus but a connection MALUS.

So you want your generators to have a high x,y,z radius but as few connected blocks as possible.

So something like this:

Scale to whatever ship size you'd like. Adding more generators without increasing the design's x/y/z radius reduces the efficiency of every generator block connected to it; which means adding too many stray generators might decrease power.

You can add a second, smaller 3-point thingy inside that one to make use of the space. You can also invert the design on the other axis.

Eventually you get something like this:

You can stuff shield cubes between the holes for maximum space usage.

Thrusters get a box and connection bonus, so you WANT them connected.

Shields can be crammed anywhere.

Weapons get a connection bonus and nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:17:32 pm by Blaze »

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile

The idea was that they would cloak as a form of defense, rather than depend on taking the hits. Except pirates aren't smart enough to cloak.

If we design a few ships that would be interesting as pirates, would we want to remove the standard design from the pool? Also, if we add larger ships, will they arrive in the same numbers as the smaller fighters?

1. Yes, that was the idea. You can very effectively dodge and cloak being a pain in the ass to hit with a wraith, and no tears will be shed when you die since its a cheapass ship. Its more about skill using this machine than pure firepower&armor. The pirates dont even dodge, which renders the wraith for them useless. Plus, no rockets, no cloaking, no nothing.

2. They will be in same numbers as small fighters, however it will be balanced out this way that there is a variety from the enemy pool. For example if you put in a battlecruiser it will never be all battlecruisers but battlecruiser(s) + other ships from the pool.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's compact, but since it's exponential by total dimensions (up until you get near 1 million e/sec), that's not the most efficient. A power generator which has 100 width, 100 height, and 100 length is more efficient than 3 separate 100 long power generators.

It's not that they get a connection malus. It's that your two separate power networks become one power network and cease to get counted twice. More effective if they're extending their dimensions when combined, but if the new one does not contribute to max dimension at all then you just lose whatever bonus it had on its own and don't get anything for adding it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

The above one is compact since it's just an example. Scale it up for larger ships and you still get the best size:power ratio.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

UPDATE!

Variable store prices are in. If it's not in stock it's price will be higher when selling to the store.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 181