Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Chartered Waters: new demo! 5/28  (Read 10520 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

IT KEEPS HAPPE- no it doesn't

alright now that i have purchase boolet how do i travel awaywards

i have this noice pathfinding done and good ol' asdf/arrow keys do nothing relevant (arrow keys move the map, woo)

consider allowing the map to roll over when going left or right unless we're not working with a regular planet here

You can press Y to make the camera lock onto your position :D
Making the map smoothly scroll between the left and right edges is something I've yet to consider. Sounds nice, but it'll be awkward to implement...

Edit

I made armor work, kinda! There's no way to actually purchase and equip it yet. That'll come soon.
It makes your ship slower but increases the armor by a lot. In that case, I've equipped four 'Pressed Copper Plating's.

I've also made the '>' key automatically make your ship move to the end of the path, as suggested by Remalle.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:12:20 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile

I've also made the '>' key automatically make your ship move to the end of the path, as suggested by Remalle.
You mean '>' isn't 'sink'? :O!
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

...Speaking of which, there totally need to be a "scuttle" function xD
Love, scriver~

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

What would that do? O___O

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scuttling is when you chop a hole in the hull of your ship and sink it on purpose.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

You do mean a synonym of scavenge..when you just get resources from a ship you own. It's all on purpose.

Still, I do believe there's the effect of 'tradeoff' anyway. When you upgrade yer ship? Yeah. New ship price - old ship price without any accessories added on. Possible accessories will be moved to the new ship (like that one unique thing you've got that ain't replaceable?) and everything else shall be sold.

Woo mercantilism.

Also nice job of the new stuff in Skyru.  ;D

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

hur hur that doesn't look good

Edit: though the lack of responses say few oeople are interested, in case someone is--as soon as I code GUIs for buyingband selling rations and sailors, I'll get another executable out. It now features roaming AIs, ration consumption, and men of iron! Said AIs don't do much other than wander around atm, though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:18:14 am by Skyrunner »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

New version up.

This demo features rations and sailors!
The town menu was revamped to give you a few choices: head straight to the Trading Post to make a profit, visit the Drydocks for a bigger, faster ship, or saunter over to the Tavern to hire a few extra hands or stock up on rations to make it through your next trip out to the wide open seas.

Those seas are less wide and even less open now, though, because you have company to share it with! Other (wo)men of the seas wander around the map. For now, they aren't your competitors: they don't buy nor sell any goods. They just wander.

Be sure to check you have enough rations before leaving. If you run out mid-trip, your sailors will quickly tire and start dying from starvation, and your ship will slow to a crawl: an entire 1 tile per day speed.

The downside to all this is that pressing '>' is laggy, because your companions also eat up CPU time trying to figure out where in the blazes they are going. This will hopefully be addressed soon.

Reminder on controls:

On most menus, Enter and Escape are 'yes' and 'no' respectively.
On town menus, press the highlighted-yellow letter to access that option. Case insensitive.
'Y' toggles locking the 'camera' to your ship.
Clicking the map sets a path to that tile. On the bottom of the screen are estimated rations needed and the ETA.
'S' pulls up the ship status window.
's' is the key to enter a town.
The arrow keys scroll you around the map.
'>' makes your ship move to the end of the path; '.' makes one day go by. If you have a path set, it moves your ship along the path.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, so, I need to actually "play" one of the newer versions of this, since playing is a thing that can happen now. Heh. I'll be checking it out tonight.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How the blazes do I equip the cannons I bought ages ago, and I spend too much time on this game. Too much time.
* LordSlowpoke shakes fist.

WATCH ME BREAKING THE SPEED LIMIT THOUGH and give me customization or give me death a way to name your ship would be nice at first

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

O_O You played the game long enough to not only buy a Large Clipper but have 130430000 left over?! Wow, that's a lot of play. How long did it take? Did you notice any glaring bugs?

Also, the cannons you bought aren't the equipable type. You can rename ships in the S menu by pressing R. The money display bug (e+ something) will be fixed asap.

I already have the framework for ship customization like extra sails for more delicious speed or armor, but I am too lazy to code the UI for it all. Heck, it took me five whole days to get around to coding the UI for the tavern.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I've got something to do during my next few lunch breaks.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

O_O You played the game long enough to not only buy a Large Clipper but have 130430000 left over?! Wow, that's a lot of play. How long did it take? Did you notice any glaring bugs?

It took me a grand total of 40 minutes. I made ~1.5M of pure profit from the first 400k I got (CAPITALISM HO) and used it to abuse markets until they cried mercy. The fact I could abuse the markets like I did is a glaring bug (you probably know what I mean by this) but you've probably got a fix for that coming down the line. That, and the silly pathfinding thing that lets you actually earn cash when doing one-day trips around islands. Once you have a large clipper, it's just chanting CAPITALISM HO like your ship is is made of Recette clones. Seriously, with this kind of cash I can buy out the entire town and sell it back to itself for twice or thrice over.

it would probably take longer if i didn't abuse the system recklessly but what sort of capitalist would that make me

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

it would probably take longer if i didn't abuse the system recklessly but what sort of capitalist would that make me
The kind that doesn't get to sound like recette nearly as much. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8