Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dragon RTD Rawr: Turn 1: Birth  (Read 5817 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (6/6 players)
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 03:45:48 am »

I, personally, like basic combat and I like "deciding what is fair for the rolls and actions" rather than having a set outcome for each roll with each level of attribute. Some of the most fun RTDs I've played had very abstract rules. In many cases I find that rules may just make it harder to do something simply cool in a game. Without having set modifiers and amounts of damage for each combat move, you let players be more creative. It ends up feeling less like RPG combat where you choose one move from a list of many and more like actual combat. It simply feels more alive. And I personally really dislike having hit points in RTDs. I like having abstract health systems. It also feels more alive. Having "10/100 HP" doesn't evoke the same feeling of desperation as "cut left wing, broken left rear leg, heavy bleeding, many small cuts on torso". Honestly, that's what the advantage of RTDs over video games is, in my opinion. To me, an RTD is more of an interactive story than an RPG or something like that. It doesn't have to work on set rules, it doesn't have to require skill. Since the dice determine everything, RTDs inevitably depend on luck. That's why you don't really want to make everything "by the numbers" fair - even having set outcomes for each action wouldn't mean that you won a fight "fair and square" - the dice made you win the fight either way. The only reason I can think of to actually have such mechanics in an RTD is that sometimes a player may feel like their character is not being treated fair. But I feel like most players that would be interested in a RTD in the first place are civil and won't start whining just because "my rolls weren't that bad, I wasn't supposed to die". I feel like most players are, simply put, chill, and don't sign up for an RTD hoping to "win". All this is just my opinion, of course. But I feel that set rules are only needed for either something that is competitive by nature or something that must require skill.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:22 am »

And I personally really dislike having hit points in RTDs. I like having abstract health systems. It also feels more alive. Having "10/100 HP" doesn't evoke the same feeling of desperation as "cut left wing, broken left rear leg, heavy bleeding, many small cuts on torso".
Though you are basically just adding specifics a vague "badly hurt" if you look at it closely. Perhaps you just prefer the players not knowing or something. Which is also definitely possible in an HP system--just hide it from the players.

For example, what the GM sees: "HP 3/20, poisoned at -2 HP per turn, bleeding at -1 HP per turn."
What the player sees: "Heavy cutting on chest, heavily poisoned, moderate bleeding, nearly severed tail, gouges on both right legs, stabbed through left front foot."

Well, unless, of course, you like not knowing either, in which case an HP system wouldn't likely work.

The only reason I can think of to actually have such mechanics in an RTD is that sometimes a player may feel like their character is not being treated fair. But I feel like most players that would be interested in a RTD in the first place are civil and won't start whining just because "my rolls weren't that bad, I wasn't supposed to die". I feel like most players are, simply put, chill, and don't sign up for an RTD hoping to "win".
It's less a case of the players complaining for me and more about me feeling like I'm being unfair. I have a strong sense of guilt on even small things unless I am actually angry or getting revenge. Putting players into the dreaded waiting room is not something I really enjoy unless the player was legitimately sure he/she was going down and didn't make the effort to run away, or the player was doing something legitimately stupid/careless. I would especially not enjoy it if the power was all up to me.

But I feel that set rules are only needed for either something that is competitive by nature or something that must require skill.
Fair enough, but what do you feel about things that aren't competitive by nature, but have the potential to be competitive?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 04:53:50 am »

But I feel that set rules are only needed for either something that is competitive by nature or something that must require skill.
Fair enough, but what do you feel about things that aren't competitive by nature, but have the potential to be competitive?
Put simply, to me, RTDs are too unpredictable to be truly competitive. A competitive game has to give equal opportunities to all players and the outcome of each situation should depend purely on skill. When I think "competitive games", the first things that come to mind are Starcraft, MOBA games (DotA, LoL and so on), Counterstrike. You can make a competitive forum game, but that wouldn't be an RTD. Rolling for results already adds a factor that does not depend on skill. Ideally, a competitive game must have the least amount of randomness possible.
 However, when I talk about "competitive" games, I only talk about the games that give equal opportunities to all players. I once hosted a pure PvP RTD on this forum, but it being a RTD makes it "not competitive" in my book - the players knew that winning the game didn't make them "the best" and that they have to thank the RNG for the victory. It doesn't mean that it wasn't fun, tho. The players liked it and some really wanted a sequel. I, myself, had a lot of fun hosting it. So I'm not saying that you can't make an RTD where players play against other players. I'm saying that you can't make an RTD that relies on skill, tactics, knowledge more than it relies on rolls. 
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 01:22:59 pm »

So, to fill the time.....
How spaced out will we all start? Completely isolated from the other players, or within close range?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:31 pm »

So, to fill the time.....
How spaced out will we all start? Completely isolated from the other players, or within close range?
Isolated. Logically, you would start together if you had the same parents, but it seems we have no dragonbros here. 

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:19 am »

So, who are we waiting on?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (4/6 players)
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 11:41:34 am »

So, who are we waiting on?

We're waiting for
Story: Um...well, she's very curious, skilled at magic, biblophilic, poor at maintaining large hoards, and short-tempered.
and
Story: Very old Dragon that fly out form his home when he lost his fire breath and gained force breath...
to be fixed.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:46 pm »

Took me long enough to post, but hey tomas. Didn't join the game because it was already full by the time I woke up and got into the forums but nice to see you running something again.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:17 pm »

Took me long enough to post, but hey tomas. Didn't join the game because it was already full by the time I woke up and got into the forums but nice to see you running something again.
If these two don't respond by tomorrow morning, I will just let players in the wait list take their place. So assuming neither of them posts, it's not too late since there's only one player in the wait list.
 edit: Actually, I just though of having 8 players instead of 6, since firstly I have lots of free time now, second - this has simpler mechanics than most of my games, so writing turns will take shorter anyway and third - I want to show off a lot of the game world and I feel like I don't have enough characters to explore enough of it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:06:08 pm by tomas1297 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 04:17:17 pm »

Let Caellath and Scion in, thanks.  :P

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »

Editing a character in soon, then. Edit: Sorry about taking so long. Stuff. I'd go further in describing both appearance and backstory, but I got to sleep at the moment. May edit later.
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:00:42 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 04:41:12 pm »

Yay, i'll do mine sometime today then. :)
Rawr

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (4/6 players)
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 10:19:22 pm »

We're waiting for
Story: Um...well, she's very curious, skilled at magic, biblophilic, poor at maintaining large hoards, and short-tempered.
Trying to find time for this, my other games, RL, and sleep. Everything would be fine if I had a time-turner and...some other phlebotinum...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (8/8 players)
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 04:53:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that right?
Rawr

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (8/8 players)
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 05:19:50 am »

Is that right?
Yeah, that's fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6