Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dragon RTD Rawr: Turn 1: Birth  (Read 5808 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (5/6 players)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:11 am »

Story: Since you start as a hatchling, you don’t have a story of your own yet. Instead this is the story of your parents, as it will greatly change your start.
Just to save the GM a job. Mine's been approved as an example.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:48 am »

Story: Very old Dragon that fly out form his home when he lost his fire breath and gained force breath...
You all start as hatchlings, can't be "very old". And
Story: (Since you start as a hatchling, you don’t have a story of your own yet. Instead this is the story of your parents, as it will greatly change your start. Will your parents take care of you and your brothers in their cave, letting you grow and learn safely? Will they leave you in the wilderness, forcing you to quickly adapt to the life of a predator? Will you be born in a city, eventually becoming a trained battle dragon like your parents? Will your father be a powerful magician and teach you all that there is to know about sorcery? Be creative.)
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon RTD Rawr: (6/6 players)
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 09:00:48 am »

As a question, are there any generic evil races in the world - like typical fantasy goblins, where every other race hates them? Or is this still undecided?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 09:36:03 am »

As a question, are there any generic evil races in the world - like typical fantasy goblins, where every other race hates them? Or is this still undecided?
Most stuff is undecided. There are Drow in your backstory and I'd imagine them as a generic evil hated race (since Drow being misunderstood rather than straight evil is a cliché in it's own). City-states ruled by powerful sorcerers, always plotting, trying to figure out ways to become more influential than the neighboring city-states. A very fragile balance of power keeps them from warring against other races - the stronger you are, the more rulers wish to see your demise. The ambitious and power-hungry Drow always want to be the strongest and their hatred of having someone above them makes it very hard for them to actually organize maneuvers - a Drow footman would rather stab his general's back than follow his orders. Therefore, the ones that actually remain in command for long are especially skilled fighters or magicians. A sort of society where individual strength is everything. 
 Orcs I like to imagine as a somewhat native American inspired primitive race that is simply warlike and territorial rather than evil and more prone to fighting among themselves than against other races. When it comes to how Orcs interact with Dragons, Orcs do not tame them. While other races either acknowledge Dragons as sentient beings, as equals, or as mystical embodiments of the powers of good or evil, Orcs see Dragons as another beast to be hunted. If we're going with the native American motifs that I mentioned, some tribes of real native Americans believed that eating an animal would grant them the animal's strength. As the most powerful beast of the wild, hunting a Dragon would be very prestigious for an Orc. The reason why I want to have such a race is that, as I've mentioned, good and/or charismatic dragons can avoid most fights. So I need a race that simply refuses to reason with Dragons, because otherwise there would be nothing for that type of Dragon to fight.
 Goblins I haven't thought about yet. Maybe something like DF Kobolds - small societies that rely on raiding to get all required supply. I like imagining Goblins as weak, but cunning, however I'm not a fan of the steampunk/clockpunk Goblins that are quite common in fiction and neither am I a fan of the Goblins that compensate for their weakness with pure numbers. I don't want Goblins to be a real threat to Humans, more like a nuisance. And since Humans, Elves, Dwarves and other "good" races will fight among themselves (I find that more realistic), it's not like they have no one to fight against anyway.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 12:14:32 pm »

and finished. it okay?
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »

and finished. it okay?
Yeah, all good.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 12:25:00 pm »

Posting to watch
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 01:30:39 pm »

Aw, i am late to join. :(
Oh well, reserving place for when it'll be free for whatever reason.
Rawr

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »

Story: (Since you start as a hatchling, you don’t have a story of your own yet. Instead this is the story of your parents, as it will greatly change your start. Will your parents take care of you and your brothers in their cave, letting you grow and learn safely? Will they leave you in the wilderness, forcing you to quickly adapt to the life of a predator? Will you be born in a city, eventually becoming a trained battle dragon like your parents? Will your father be a powerful magician and teach you all that there is to know about sorcery? Be creative.)
The action starts before your dragon develops a personality. Of course, you'll want to steer your character in a certain direction, but I need to know the situation in which the dragon was born in to write the first turns. How do you plan to make her skilled at magic? Was her father skilled at magic? Did she find a book in her parents treasure trove? Do her parents live in a huge abandoned library? Was she raised by a human wizard? "Story" should be something like that.
Aah. I had misunderstood some stuff. I'll go fix it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:29 pm »

Man, I remember the last time Dragon RTD's started around the board.

Those looking for inspiration or merely memories, here's the links :P

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91236.0 <--- Tarrans sadly cut short one
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91277.0 <--- my own sadly short lived one

Will be watching with interest!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 06:06:07 pm »

Memories :S

Still, finished my overly drawn sheet :/

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 02:28:55 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91236.0 <--- Tarrans sadly cut short one
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91277.0 <--- my own sadly short lived one

Heh, I was searching for these, but couldn't find them. I was going to (with permission) borrow the mechanics and stuff in the OP, but looking back, perhaps it's a good thing that I decided to write my own rules. I was going to add stuff like claw types, wing types, tail types and so on, but halfway through I thought "is this really necessary?" and decided that simpler is better. Besides, when someone makes a character in this sort of game, they will follow a certain pattern. You expect a large combat focused dragon to have long claws and huge horns anyway, so by merging all physical features except scale color into "figure", I don't feel like I'm limiting character customization that much. It doesn't really harm RP possibilities either.
 Anyway, right now I am waiting for GreatWyrmGold and Remigiusz to fix their character sheets, then I will start writing the first turns.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 02:44:00 am »

Don't forget the third one by... ah, yes, Micelus. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91870.msg2564313#msg2564313

Yeah, it was a shame how all the three went. Yours overextended, mine grinded down due to numerous reasons (many overextending, but not even nearly all of it), and Micelus' just... faded away without a whisper.

...Now to have this constantly show up on my "new replies to your posts" page even though I might not ever play it. :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 02:46:10 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:54 am »

I'm pretty sure that having ten players instead of the more traditional six also makes it harder to run an RTD. I'm trying to go with something simpler to run. I tend to be overambitious with a lot of stuff and abandon it because it's either not as good as I planned or too complex to run. Which is why I'm going with more abstract dice roll results and with "make stuff up on the go" lore.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 03:19:11 am »

The number of players was not one of the major problems, really. If there was any problems with the players, it was the inactivity of many of them. I mean, I had to PM quite a few people, quite a lot of times, and it was not fun. Even when I didn't have to PM them, it took them a long time to post.

Simplicity was actually a problem in mine: I was constantly having too little rules in my RTD, while having many situations where rules would have helped. For example, the combat was far too basic, especially for the humans (how much damage does an arrow do? How much damage does a bolt do?), and there was no skill system, which was also a problem for people trying to learn things because they'd get attribute increases instead, leading to a compounding problem of people with too high attributes. This lead to many situations where I constantly had to decide what was "fair" for the players for their rolls and actions (which is a BAD THING because I am incredibly indecisive most of the time). Though maybe if you go enough in the other direction you won't have my kinds of problems. Go for it.

Being overambitious was DEFINITELY a problem in mine. Restrain yourself. Don't bother keeping track of various locations, nations, etc that the players will likely never visit again. Some of my players will even remember that war I had between two nations... heh, what a gigantic waste of time.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6