Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519148 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4395 on: April 28, 2017, 09:43:51 pm »

Ok here is one for Persona 5... actually 2

One is HUGE SPOILERS... but the first one is minor spoilers

THIS ONE IS THE MINOR SPOILERS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THIS ONE IS MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: April 29, 2017, 04:32:28 pm »

Ok here is one that isn't a problem or mistake... But this is the Pet Peeve thread and this is a pet peeve.

Holofoil / Shiny cards

I actually think they look particularly bad and make the artwork that much more difficult to look at.

I actually just prefer plain cards.

A couple of the previous Heroclix sets had "Sketch" variant models, which were rarer versions of existing models in the set.  They were all white but shaded drybrush style with black.  Some of them looked decent, but the majority just looked like undefined blobs.  People disliked it, so the new sets now don't have sketch models.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: April 29, 2017, 07:54:23 pm »

Bad Porting and Lack of Porting: The Disease That Plagues The Master Race

First off, sorry if you're a console-only gamer, I just was thinking of a fast and easy title.

Second off, you're (relatively) lucky - you don't have to deal with this particular problem.

Basically, when transferring a piece of software from one platform to another, one will need to make changes to the control. In addition to finding out how to configure the button mapping, there's the fact that most PCs have much different and varied hardware than consoles, which are (barring factory errors) made the exact same with the exact same hardware. Then you get into the fact that software-wise PCs may be much different than the consoles the games originally appeared on...

The point is that porting a game is a delicate art, and it's something that I can now appreciate when it's done right.

Because I've tasted what happens when it's done wrong.

Fuck you CD Projekt, and your misspelled name, and your botched attempt at making Saint's Row 2 fucking function without crashing on the PC, and the fact that digital copies of everything are far more common and versatile than CDs, just like how so many other publishers and companies are more common and more versatile. Some companies may have tried to port their game onto a different platform. These people may have failed. While these people may have both tried and failed, you, CD Projrekt, have not done the former and have thus, by default, done the latter.

Most of the people I know have made a mistake, and this includes most of the people on the internet, so I'm just gonna assume that everyone makes mistakes.

What I am less able to understand are console-exclusive games. I'm not gonna purchase a console right now (my father deliberateda bit before approving a purchase for a $5 game), so obviously that isn't perfect as a marketing tactic.

And I can't think of any other reason to have a game console-exclusive aside from "we don't wanna make a port for fear of screwing it up" or "a port costs too much money".

Anyone think of a reason to deny PC gamers titles?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: April 29, 2017, 08:01:44 pm »

There are four general reasons

-1) Exclusivity: It looks poor on a company to port exclusive titles. PLUS sometimes the game is made to be exclusive. Bayonetta 3, for example, was created specifically to be an exclusive title to sell more Wii Us.
-2) Porting costs: It isn't free to port.
-3) Fanbase: Sometimes the fanbase just isn't on the PC OR you want to develop your fanbase in one particular area.

ohh and lest we forget
-4) General disdain for the PC: This is MUUUUCH more noticeable among Japanese developers (Nintendo being a prime example) mostly because their Copyright laws are bonkers insane... but generally speaking some companies hate the PC mostly because of both letsplays and piracy. If you ever wondered why we never got another Subspace Emissary let me just say that YouTube played a notable part in that.

I mean I could mention how they don't translate well to PC... but with controllers becoming more prevalent... no...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: April 29, 2017, 08:05:14 pm »

Some control schemes just don't cross platforms well either. System Shock and other old PC titles simply wouldn't work with the limited inputs a console controller has. On the other hand, games that rely on tight and fast inputs usually play better with a console controller - Dark Souls and most 2D fighting games come to mind. SS2 actually did get a Dreamcast port, bizarrely, but they had to hack out most of the buttons to make it fit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:08:07 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: April 29, 2017, 08:07:17 pm »

Some control schemes just don't cross platforms well either. System Shock and other old PC titles simply wouldn't work with the limited inputs a console controller has. On the other hand, games that rely on tight and fast inputs usually play better with a console controller - Dark Souls and most 2D fighting games come to mind.

Yeah but we are talking about Console -> PC

Yeah... PC -> Console does have some impenetrable control issues. It is why no strategy game can reasonably be ported.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: April 29, 2017, 08:10:49 pm »

Some control schemes just don't cross platforms well either. System Shock and other old PC titles simply wouldn't work with the limited inputs a console controller has. On the other hand, games that rely on tight and fast inputs usually play better with a console controller - Dark Souls and most 2D fighting games come to mind.

Yeah but we are talking about Console -> PC

Yeah... PC -> Console does have some impenetrable control issues. It is why no strategy game can reasonably be ported.
Input difficulties only apply to a certain section of the market in any case. The primary obstacle is the intentional business practice of console exclusivity. You're out of luck if there's only one game you want to play on a certain console and it happens to be exclusive.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: April 29, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »

Oh wow, I assumed CD Projekt was CD Projekt Red, the group that makes Witcher (and pretty much just Witcher).  I was really confused that they'd be involved in a bad PC port, much less Saints Row honestly.

As best I can tell, it *was* ported by CD Projekt, but not their Red department that makes Witcher.
Sorta weird because I think the SR2 wiki pages has been scrubbed of references to CD Projekt.  I assume they used to be there because of this (confoundingly vague) post, which presumably cited the wiki page: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2tl075/til_cd_projekt_did_one_of_the_worst_port_in_pc/

Either way, yeah, trash port.  But I think it's safe to say Cd Projekt *Red* was only technically involved.  Still though, weird.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: April 29, 2017, 10:44:58 pm »

I Contest that, with this being one of the best strategy games I have ever Played, and it Being better over X-box.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: April 29, 2017, 10:54:39 pm »

I didn't know there was an XBox version of Supreme Commander at one point, I assume it ran well. Were you able to have multiple view screens like in the PC version?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: April 30, 2017, 12:39:33 am »

I didn't know there was an XBox version of Supreme Commander at one point, I assume it ran well. Were you able to have multiple view screens like in the PC version?
Sadly, no, we did not have multiple Views but we did have a constant frame rate which did not decrease when there were way too many units in the game.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: April 30, 2017, 03:50:39 am »

Sadly, no, we did not have multiple Views but we did have a constant frame rate which did not decrease when there were way too many units in the game.

That would be an interesting game to read about how it was optimised for the XBox.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: April 30, 2017, 09:57:25 am »

Oh wow, I assumed CD Projekt was CD Projekt Red, the group that makes Witcher (and pretty much just Witcher).  I was really confused that they'd be involved in a bad PC port, much less Saints Row honestly.

As best I can tell, it *was* ported by CD Projekt, but not their Red department that makes Witcher.
Sorta weird because I think the SR2 wiki pages has been scrubbed of references to CD Projekt.  I assume they used to be there because of this (confoundingly vague) post, which presumably cited the wiki page: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2tl075/til_cd_projekt_did_one_of_the_worst_port_in_pc/

Either way, yeah, trash port.  But I think it's safe to say Cd Projekt *Red* was only technically involved.  Still though, weird.
Considering this was in the days of Witcher 1, which was tech-wise the opposite of amazing (or amazing in all the wrong ways), I don't see that as particularly weird.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: April 30, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »

Fuck you CD Projekt, and your misspelled name, and your botched attempt at making Saint's Row 2 fucking function without crashing on the PC

What's your source for CD Projekt having been the ones to have ported Saint's Row 2?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:34 pm »

Playing Chicken With Sales

I know I could say "Releasing unfinished" or "releasing broken" games...

But this is more clear what I hate. When game companies play chicken with sales. They release a game unfinished or broken specifically so that if the sales do not come through that they do not have to devote more development time towards it.

And BOY OHH BOY did I hate when The Sims 3 did this. They essentially budgeted patch money exclusively to sales but underfunded it. Which is why you can find glitches that existed since the start of the game existing even today.

The reason I HAAAAAATE this is because it feels so self-fulfilling but it also screws over anyone who bought the game. Essentially "Sorry you aren't all suckers! Well thanks for the money"
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 324