Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519170 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4320 on: April 16, 2017, 12:33:24 am »

I feel like I've already mentioned it here but I hate tiny enemies that run away from you. I'm playing Diablo 1 and the little imp-type enemies will trade blows with you for a second, then just walk away and make you chase them down. It's incredibly annoying because they're harmless even at level 1, running away is the only reason they don't die as soon as you see them.

I think the idea is that they're fleeing, but it's just kind of silly because nobody in D1 goes faster than a brisk trot. "Sir, please come back here, I am not done hitting you with my axe."
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: April 16, 2017, 01:10:21 am »

I feel like I've already mentioned it here but I hate tiny enemies that run away from you. I'm playing Diablo 1 and the little imp-type enemies will trade blows with you for a second, then just walk away and make you chase them down. It's incredibly annoying because they're harmless even at level 1, running away is the only reason they don't die as soon as you see them.

I think the idea is that they're fleeing, but it's just kind of silly because nobody in D1 goes faster than a brisk trot. "Sir, please come back here, I am not done hitting you with my axe."

I hate tiny characters in games where they avoid most attacks... by standing normally...

I've actually started to prefer them to be magically hit by normal attacks even if the hitbox wouldn't normally connect... it is just funner that way.

One way they TRY to balance small characters in MOST recent fighting games... is by making them rely on aerials to do the bulk of their damage and often by making their attacks give them a bigger hitbox.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:12:02 am by Neonivek »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: April 16, 2017, 01:41:58 am »

Fucking Timers.

Looking at Dead Rising 2 as a prime example. It sucks all the enjoyment out of the game and just stresses me out in a way a videogame should not. Also fuck you developers, let me just play the game, don't force me to play it a certain pace.

EDIT: What makes it so bad, is that usually the game mechanics and the timer are so fucking at odds. Like Dead Rising, where all you want to do is kill zombies in fun, new ways, but it takes a long ass time to build weapons, explore and generally do missions when all I really want to be doing is slaying some putrid, green ass.

100% agreed, that's why I always run the game with Cheat Engine set to freeze the clock, temporarily resuming it only so that more survivors can appear.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: April 16, 2017, 01:45:18 am »

Even if a game is great... I am not sure it is possible to make the timer not a pet peeve. (other than making it pointless)

I think it is just human nature.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: April 16, 2017, 02:47:19 am »

Star Control 2 is a rare exception in my opinion.  But there were a lot of good things about that timer:
It was a *lot* of time, honestly.
Yet it wasn't pointless, because it started having effects long before the "end".  Races both near and far would start mentioning how worried they were, with increasing alarm.  I'm pretty sure it's the root cause of the Pkunk migration, which happens very early and shows the player that the galaxy isn't static- the zones of control can move, and they flash helpfully when they do.  And it means something important is happening.

You also get some significant reprieves on said clock by exploring and making allies - your official "mission".  Not to mention better and better info on what the threat *is*, and exactly how it might be stopped.

And if you still get low enough on time...  You actually get rewarded for *that*.  You can skip several potentially-lengthy quests by letting the bad thing start, and scooping the macguffins off the ruined planets.  There's some uniquely tragic dialogue, too.
(Reminds me of an UT genocide run, particularly since you really have to go out of your way to wait that long)

So I think that's an example of it done right, though it's much more than a simple timer.  It's more that the main quest progresses on its own, and tries to convince the player to join in.

I also liked the idea of the 2 bad-end timers in Fallout 1, though apparently it might not have been in the version I played.  But I've always had the unusual opinion that Fallout shouldn't be a series about settling down in safety.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: April 16, 2017, 02:49:14 am »

I agree, Star Control 2 did that wonderfully.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: April 16, 2017, 02:58:20 am »

Yeah, StarCon 2 was fine. I think you could literally spend 2 years mining and nothing else, and still have time to win the game.

Yet, the one time my timer ran out, I was more excited than infuriated, because it made total sense that that would happen.

Fallout 1 though. I never finished it because I was busy exploring and lost, so I just dropped the game. Forever, as it turns out.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: April 16, 2017, 03:07:55 am »

I like timers. Being forced to make a decision in the moment and use your time wisely is a rare challenge. I hate games where the whole world is in danger! except not really, you can let the bad guy stew in his castle until the end of time and nothing will happen. I don't want the world to just patiently wait until I set an event flag, I want to feel like there's things happening beyond what I'm directly responsible for. Nothing makes a game feel more artificial and dumb than "Begin final encounter y/n?" or "Want to wrap up some sidequests before triggering this flag?"

That's what a lot of games that pretend to have a living world boil down to. A whole bunch of game pieces waiting for the player to engage with them. Bethesda NPCs will jump out of bed at three AM to trade with you, that distress call will keep sounding forever in Mass Effect, you can just keep fighting Mutons and Ethereals well into 2020 in XCOM. No urgency (despite what the writers would have you believe), no negative consequences, just leisurely dawdle through the game until you deign to press the "advance main quest" button.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: April 16, 2017, 03:25:30 am »

Actually I'm gonna add another good timer: Most of the balanced official campaigns with Battle for Wesnoth had sensible timers that gave you a goal and kept you from durdling too much. You definitely wanted the terrain and time of day adventages, but you would usually get enough time for two big assaults per map, tops, before the time's up and you'd better close out the mission.

It also helped forward the plots, really. War's on, don't dilly-dally. Further, it made complete sense that the last Dwarf campaign mission had no timer, because you were slogging through the enemy stronghold and they had no reinforcements. It was just mopping up until you found the... whoever. Big Bads. I forget.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: April 16, 2017, 05:31:24 am »

Mass Effect 3 had an interesting approach. It wasn't exactly a timer, but doing the main story mission would advance time, changing settings and maps like the citadel and changing side missions if you didn't do them in time. It provided a nice sense of urgency while not strictly punishing the player for choosing different methods to have fun.
Mass Effect Andromeda avoids the "world is in danger! take your time please" problem by quite clearly and explicitly making the situation not something extremely time critical and having the side-quests feel relevant to your objectives. It definitely has its drawbacks, but it's nice not feeling weird that I'm finding lost heating units for people instead of stopping the aliens hell-bent on wiping out all sapient life.

Though no matter what, if a game has side-content that can be locked out by doing the final mission, I expect a "Are you sure you want to do this?" prompt for the final mission. It'd just be idiotic if you unknowingly lock yourself out of content.

And about XCOM: That kind of feels like a bad example? In XCOM1 the panic stuff means that unless you're playing on an easy difficulty setting or are just really good, you have a decent amount of pressure to do well because of the panic system. XCOM2 just foregoes the formalities and has a straight-up timer. Unless you mean UFO Defense, which I doubt.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: April 16, 2017, 07:30:25 am »

Mass Effect 3 had an interesting approach. It wasn't exactly a timer, but doing the main story mission would advance time, changing settings and maps like the citadel and changing side missions if you didn't do them in time. It provided a nice sense of urgency while not strictly punishing the player for choosing different methods to have fun.

That's exactly the thing I'm criticizing though. Planets are under siege and could be lost any minute, but not until you crank the lever and make time move forward. Spend a week doing side missions, and you'll find things exactly how you left them when you return. Are the Reapers and Turians just hanging out, talking about their progress in Dark Souls 492 while waiting for Shepard to show up?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: April 16, 2017, 07:45:31 am »

I hate games where the whole world is in danger! except not really, you can let the bad guy stew in his castle until the end of time and nothing will happen.

Yes that bugs me intensely!

Oblivion was particularly egregious for me.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: April 16, 2017, 08:21:29 am »

I remember in Oblivion I was hesistant to close the Oblivion gates because the spheres they held were limited in number and closing them would be lowering the number of areas to explore in the game.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: April 16, 2017, 08:48:01 am »

I remember in Oblivion I was hesistant to close the Oblivion gates because the spheres they held were limited in number and closing them would be lowering the number of areas to explore in the game.

Gates respawned... Though I remember never doing the main quest because those orbs were nice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: April 16, 2017, 11:15:21 am »

I think the fact that my favorite game series is the Pikmin game series says how I feel about timers.

Timers mattered in any of the Pikmin games?
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 324