Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519163 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4335 on: April 16, 2017, 11:28:25 am »

Stupid NPC Reactions.

AC3 is quite guilty of these.

So I killed a dog for no other reason than it was barking more often than usual. (The prompt to kill the dog appeared in the top-left, claiming the dog was rabid.

After the dog died, one of the bystanders who was watching told me about how I did the right thing and how he thought the dog was sick, and I think he remember he said the same line 5 or 6-times over.

I've bumped into people and they've reacted as if they were attacked (with soldiers this is acceptable/understandable, with average civilians this is not) rather than asking what was wrong with me.

These are not normal people by any stretch of the imagination...

Speaking of which, I just beat the story of AC3, can any of you give any reason not to uninstall the damn thing?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: April 16, 2017, 11:35:29 am »

I know in The War of the Samurai you can bump into people to try to get them to fight you.

Though hilariously in one of them bumping into people AND accidentally hitting objects in battle... affected your score (and score is important for unlocks and titles)

It created a VERY odd situation.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: April 16, 2017, 11:42:46 am »

I hate games where the whole world is in danger! except not really, you can let the bad guy stew in his castle until the end of time and nothing will happen.

Yes that bugs me intensely!

Oblivion was particularly egregious for me.

I wish there was a clearly telegraphed threshold event, where after which the Daedric invasion would continue regardless and you were forced to actively stop it, before it was too late. However, being thrust into that situation right from the start would have been an annoyance.
-"Where have you been! The main quest is waiting!"
-"But I am only level 3! I want to join the Mage's Guild, and..."
-"No time! Get to it, or in three days, we will take Chorrol away!"

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: April 16, 2017, 12:21:46 pm »

I've been messing around in Morrowind and this came up

Badly formatted diaries
I really like game diaries, but I also like efficient flow of information so please, make sure the character and place names are either written in a different colour or done in another font as to increase their visibility.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: April 16, 2017, 12:51:11 pm »

Also:

Bullshit Boss Fights:

In Assassin's Creed 3, most of the assassinations either consist of actual assassinations or direct battles against the target in question.

In particular, the climactic battle with your da -(Assassinated for spoilers)- is ruined by the fact that all you have to do is counter him while standing near a wooden barrel.

There's another battle - a Boston Brawlers fight - where you beat up yet another person.

All the previous Boston Brawlers fights have bosses that can be dealt with through a simple application of counter, disarm (sort of) and then combo until you can't do so, lather, rinse, and repeat.

The one with the Rope Beater or what's his face (none of the brawlers have any special traits that make them worth remembering) has a much different strategy that is only shown to you by a table with funky Animus markings on it.

You toss him onto the table by countering. Then you punch him once or twice. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

The very final story mission is a chase sequence which I'm counting as a boss since the actual assassination occurs in a cutscene. That chase is bullshit too - a powder keg inexplicably explodes, knocking the player back, the chase target runs faster than you do for the first part of the chase, you can't shove people, said chase target sends the town militia after you, who do try to stop you with no obvious way to bypass them, in spite of the fact that several nameless characters know you're after the chase target and one actually does help you of his own volition...

I guess this whole game is actually representative of Ubisoft business practices, with Haytham as an employee and Connor as a customer - the former is correct in that the schemes will continue, while the latter is left with little more than a sense of despair.

Another AC3 one:

Unmotivated Activity = Unmotivated Gamer

The Boston Brawlers have no associated cutscenes. If they did, the cutscenes were too forgettable to be worth writing about.

Same goes for the postal service. And for the item collection for each of the towns (I don't even know how to check the item lists.)

There's no reason for Connor or Haytham to do these things - Neither Kenway has a reason to go around participating in a (presumably) illegal fighting ring, and while Connor seems to be a nice guy who likes to help people (I still can't get his characterization down even after the game's story ends), I don't know why Haytham would busy himself with errand-boy work.

The Almanac Pages are an especially bad example of the unmotivated activity - I don't remember if Connor interacts with Benjamin Franklin at all, but he still gets the task to pick up those pages without even knowing what the pages are for (until he gets them). I think Haytham gets the task about the pages in a cutscene, but Haytham also abandons his son and lover for his work, so I don't know how Connor knows the pages purpose.

Maybe this whole thing is a side effect of me not caring about the game anymore.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: April 16, 2017, 02:03:47 pm »

I didn't even make it to ac3, myself - I only finished ac2 and the first sequel with Ezio. There are so many things about those games that I hated, and I've probably ranted about then before. Idk. The wacky time predestination aliens insanity is what made me quit: I was enduring all the other stuff for the plot, and when the plot turned out to be that, that was it. I have no desire to play something where the plot makes no goddamn sense.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: April 16, 2017, 02:29:08 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean specifically.

Aside from the fact that an Assassin is somehow immensely skilled in open combat, but otherwise I didn't have very many problems with 2 or Brotherhood.

I don't pay too much attention to plots of videogames either, so I'm probably too stupid to notice the bad things anyway.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: April 16, 2017, 05:15:58 pm »

AC3 was the worst one (mainly because, to put it simply, Connor was just not an interesting character), and the plot Shadowlord mentioned completely stalls after it. Yeah, they make a big deal about how Juno is all free now to wreak havoc on humanity in the modern day, but then as of Syndicate all she really does is pop in once in a while to say 'hey I'm going to be a thing in this series someday'. She never will be of course, since to advance the plot means to one day end the series.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: April 16, 2017, 05:20:43 pm »

Assassins creed feels weird because it went from not so distant future with a historical past (with a magical/alien artifact involved)

To being some sort of weird future where trained militaries can apparently be defeated by people in their underpants doing "stealth"...

The series gets dumber with every game.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: April 16, 2017, 05:26:42 pm »

some sort of weird future where trained militaries can apparently be defeated by people in their underpants doing "stealth"...

...OK, I'll admit I haven't played Rogue yet or finished Liberation, but what are you talking about specifically?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: April 16, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »

I'd also like to point out that assassins are not known for being mass murderers, yet each one of the ancestors (and Desmond himself) can kill dozens of guards on a single play through, and is actually required to do so on several occasions.

some sort of weird future where trained militaries can apparently be defeated by people in their underpants doing "stealth"...

Stealth in video games will always have its questionable elements. Corners are a guard's main weakness most of the time, for example.

Shadows also get them a lot of the time too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: April 16, 2017, 05:37:59 pm »

...OK, I'll admit I haven't played Rogue yet or finished Liberation, but what are you talking about specifically?

It is a later plot development where you are training internet losers to be assassins in real life with the implication that it will actually work.

It kind of KILLS the games believability as a setting more then any ninjas vs. pirates with George Washington ever did.

My impression is they stopped caring.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:44:36 pm by Neonivek »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: April 16, 2017, 05:44:18 pm »

Oh, you're talking about the online 'story'. I never really thought about it because I played online a few times and realized no one actually knows how to play Assassin's Creed, so I stopped bothering with that aspect. Which is a minor pet peeve in itself; people who care more about the k/d ratio than actually how to play. I swear, in AC3 I could beat the Wolfpack online mode solo any time I wanted, simply because I knew how to play (that is, move slowly, use crowds for stealth, poison people, etc). If I played with even one other person, we would lose because they would run around at top speed and shank everybody for the minimum amount of points and we'd run out of time.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: April 16, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »

people who care more about the k/d ratio than actually how to play.

So humanity and human nature are pet peeves now?

I do understand where you're coming from, as a former multiplayer player. And the thing is, I see that kind of behavior all the time in objective-based shooters as well (Dirty Bomb and Team Fortress 2) - where everyone picks snipers or backstabbers while not realizing they're actually one-shotting their own odds of success.

In fact, let me flesh that out into a full peeve, even if said flesh will simply be torn off the bone by the very people I'm complaining about.

Inept Assassinators

A lot of people these days are attracted to what appeals them, and I can't really blame them for that, given that I've done what appeals to me dozens of times - but there are some among us who follow their desires much more blindly and foolishly.

Many of these desires tend to be the more primal human instincts - the ones to kill and consume - and this is reflected when they play videogames not only by their choice of genre (usually something fast-paced and violent) but their choice of class and playstyle.

In many games, these choices generally involve classes, abilities, and playstyles that involve hurting your enemy the most, if not killing them outright. To achieve their end as quickly as possible they try to pick classes and abilities that can instantly kill, no matter how hard it is to actually perform said instant kill.

That last part is what separates the adept from the unqualified.

TF2 players, I've seen over five Spies on a team that has about twelve players at max.

Dirty Bomb players, I've run into a match where two medics - a Phoenix and myself, an Aura - struggle to maintain six or seven Skyhammers (riflemen) or, worse yet, three or four Vasillis (snipers).

Chivalry players, Left 4 Dead players, Insurgents and Security alike - y'all are lucky. You have no idea what it's like to be missing a critical class, or to have that crucial role of healer fall atop a pillar that has visible cracks in it (i.e. me).

Maybe someone should create a Darwin Awards for gaming.

One last thing:

internet losers

You hurt my feelings! Not really

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: April 16, 2017, 07:00:44 pm »

It's more that I just wish people would read the damn instructions and make an attempt to actually be good at whatever game they happen to be playing. This same reason is why I look down on people who need to have two, possibly three phantoms babysitting their asses in Dark Souls 3 for an entire area. Summoning for a boss you've tried to beat on your own and can't is one thing, but not even trying to attempt PvE without a full squad of back-up is another entirely. At that point, you're not playing, you're just watching people beat the game for you. Get good, for Christ's sake. :/
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 324