Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519203 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #4245 on: April 06, 2017, 03:27:44 pm »

Sif is a bigass wolf with a sword and anyone who says otherwise isn't thinking straight.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: April 06, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »

Sif is a bigass wolf with a sword and anyone who says otherwise isn't thinking straight.

Nah, Sif is the Norse goddess associated with earth.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: April 06, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »

We won't win but we will hurt you!

Ok some games have this weird tendency to have enemies have loadouts that are terrible ideas for actually winning fights... Yet are good at getting cheap shots on you purely for the purpose of causing attrition or losses. Which would be fine if they were part of a larger force... but...

It just feels like cheating. Then again this cheating runs deeper but I am too tired to go through the many ways enemies ignore all the troubles PCs go through.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: April 06, 2017, 07:34:29 pm »

Reminds me of the AI in Fire Emblem. In most recent games, they'll go to absurd lengths to off one guy because they know that most people will reset the level if someone dies. They'll even attack people they can't hurt simply in an effort to wear down your weapons in pre-Fates games.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: April 06, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »

My mind went for Darkest Dungeon on this one. Holy crap, I hate cupbearers. My hardest hitting team member is already a raging pervert due to the stress, stop splashing him with LSD wine.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:54 pm »

Makes me think about how unrealistic the cupbearer's attack was.

Firstly, the cupbearer seems to be able to hit literally any of your party members, even from the very back row.

Secondly, like any other skill, the Tempting Goblet has no cooldown. I'm fine with the Arbalest having infinite bolts and ammo and the Crusader never getting tired from all that swinging, but the cupbearer's goblet constantly applying stress damage... It's taking the piss.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: April 06, 2017, 08:45:17 pm »

I get the impression the Goblet wasn't exactly filled with wine... >_>

That might explain how there is so many... reloads...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55:07 pm »

I get the impression the Goblet wasn't exactly filled with wine... >_>

Literally taking the piss?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: April 07, 2017, 04:14:15 am »

Or giving the piss away.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: April 07, 2017, 12:49:07 pm »

Again, sorry if this came up already:

Congratulation for your victory, you win lose!

Especially common in games based on different source materials, or RPGs with complicated stories.

You come across an enemy that, in the story, you are not supposed to beat. He's way stronger than you, he's the big bad villain, and he will throw you around for a while, then say how badly you suck and leave you to your business.

Well... he won't. Not until you manage to win the actual fight. You know... the one that you are supposed to lose because you are too weak; you have to win the battle in order to access the next part of the story, where you see the enemy thrashing you with no effort.

Some games let you go on after you lose, and some even give you a small (or sometimes big) reward if you actually manage to win the fight; but usually, you don't get to keep playing until you win against what is, in every conceivable way, an impossible battle.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: April 07, 2017, 01:31:12 pm »

Yeah.  I'm even kind like the ones where you can technically win, but the boss pulls some plot-fu and wins anyway...  Though I do want the game to acknowledge that with special dialogue at least.  Mechanically unwinnable battles are okay too, if they make sense in the plot.  But forcing you to earn your defeat, or get a nonsense game over, is dumb.

Hopkins FBI had a version of that, actually (NSFW cartoon gore).  Not to spoil the *bizarre* premise of the game, but in the second chapter there's a point where you die and something special happens.  Thing is...  You could have died a dozen times up to that point and just gotten game overs.  Which doesn't make sense with the premise.  Course, the plot has plenty of other inconsistencies heh.

My peeve is going back to a classic game I've been a fan of for years and years, and...  Kinda being bad at it.  Particularly when other enthusiasts have apparently mastered it to the point of boredom.  Thinking specifically about Master of Orion 2 here, but there are so many other examples I could name.  Even L4D2 I guess, but usually old stuff like HoM&M or Alpha Centauri.  Oh and I'm *awful* at Descent, and not great at Quake 2 despite beating it once (on easy, I guess).
Usually I don't care about being skilled at games, but it stings just a little for classic ones.  Ah, who cares, at least I still remember and enjoy them (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: April 07, 2017, 02:03:31 pm »

The enemy automatically levels to your level.
I hate games, like Elder Scrolls, where enemy levels correspond to your own. The whole point of an RPG is an enemy that you had to run from, is, 20 levels later, getting its butt kicked by you.
If enemies correspond to your level, you never get to defeat an enemy that used to be way out of your league. You just get to fight enemies who are right near your league.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: April 07, 2017, 02:12:48 pm »

Oi, that's a new Elder Scrolls thing. Morrowind was great about letting you go back and shit-beat everyone who used to bully you.

Oblivion was definitely the worst offender, with daedric armored bandits after a certain level.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: April 07, 2017, 02:19:13 pm »

Daggerfall did that too Draig. Sort of. Monsters (undead, atronachs, etc.) were always a certain level, but humanoid enemies (nightblades, warriors, etc.) leveled up with you.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: April 07, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »

Daggerfall did that too Draig. Sort of. Monsters (undead, atronachs, etc.) were always a certain level, but humanoid enemies (nightblades, warriors, etc.) leveled up with you.

Daggerfall did leveling a bit more... schizophrenically. I don't recall the spawns leveling with you (You'd still get itty bitty babby spiders at high levels, iirc),  but yeah, humanoid enemies did level match with you. Again, it's been ages since I could get Daggerfall to play, but I don't recall the loot working as horribly. 

Eh, still. Oblivion was the only game that leveled the damn rats up with you.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 324