Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519457 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3780 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:40 pm »

Or main quest NPCs :P
And yeah, I think there's a reason so many of us hoard in video games...  Been burned.
I did really like how Might and Magic VI handled it, with a mysterious Oracle NPC near the second town.  If you tell them "I lost it", usually they say "You never found it".  Unless you've dropped a quest item.  I think they magically have it, and tell you to be more careful :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: February 06, 2017, 02:31:38 pm »

I end up doing it to myself in any game that has crafting where crafting isn't the main focus. I tossed tons of alchemy ingredients on my first Skyrim game, essentially throwing away free money and levels because I can't stand the tedium of Skyrim crafting.

Meanwhile, every Minecraft world I create or join will soon have five or more double-chests overflowing with cobblestone and a machine solely dedicated to generating more. Cobblestone is the most common, useless, unwanted material in the entire game. Yet I can't make myself throw it away, because maybe someday I'll have the patience to see a megaproject through.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: February 06, 2017, 03:03:52 pm »

I once had a situation where I didn't have enough cobblestone in Minecraft. Had to set up quarries just to get more.

Of course the fact that I was building a 10k block transcontinental railway with two lines and many stops might have had something to do with it.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: February 06, 2017, 03:12:04 pm »

I admire the people who can do megaprojects like that, but I have no idea how they have the patience and creativity for it. @_@
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: February 06, 2017, 04:28:46 pm »

I admire the people who can do megaprojects like that, but I have no idea how they have the patience and creativity for it. @_@

It's almost meditative for me. Nice, relaxing, good break material.  Not something I want to do with all of my gaming time, but a significant part of it.

One of my pet peeves is games that enable this sort of gameplay, and then make you deal with interruptions on top of it. It breaks me out of my groove and is jarring. I love DF because I can disable invasions and carry on building. Terraria's more irritating because of the night spawns.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 04:36:19 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: February 06, 2017, 05:10:53 pm »

About the most complicated thing I've built in Minecraft was a piston drydock for easy boat docking. Boats still exploded for no reason sometimes when you hit the switch, but it made a nice conversation piece on the server. Redstone circuitry balloons quickly due to the way segments auto-connect with eachother, so I had to build it underwater. That meant it got flooded and destroyed a few times.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: February 07, 2017, 08:44:58 am »

Any enemy chatter at all

I like it. A lot. I don't care if they repeat things. It makes the world feel so much more alive. Because hey, there's people talking about things. Those people aren't just standing around waiting to be killed by the hero[/b] because they're living loot bags! Sure, it doesn't add anything to the story or make you feel bad for them, but I mean. Come on. There'd be more complaints if there wasn't enemy chatter. Hell, people are complaining that Gordon Freeman still has no voice, even if it'll be just a few lines to establish a character.

tbh, i like fallout 4's ambient dialogue a lot. feels a lot more dynamic, at least when it's mooks like the gunners or raiders. better than just a few lines at least.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: February 07, 2017, 09:11:41 am »

For me it's an uncanny valley situation. They feel less alive to me because they repeat a few ambient lines ad nauseam, NPCs in town often having repetitive conversations or making the same remarks to you every time you pass by. A robot like Spot (or any of the Big Dog-inspired robots) might be cute because it stumbles like a real animal yet isn't, but this dude's ScarJo bot is deeply unpleasant despite having more of the superficial characteristics of a living thing.

On a much, much smaller and less dramatic scale, that's my beef with enemy chatter. The random human enemies in (fuck, I was trying so hard not to bring this back to Bethesda) Skyrim or Fallout (any 3D, pick one) or Morrowind ultimately have no more characterization than the Nazi guards in Wolf3D, they're just noisier and have more animation. Yet the Wolf3D enemies are a lot more memorable (in my opinion) due to being cute human-like game pieces as opposed to a not-quite-there attempt at realism.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:13:39 am by itisnotlogical »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: February 07, 2017, 09:15:31 am »

Meh. I can see how you feel about that, but to me ambient dialogue has always been a big plus for me. Makes things feel more than just a setpiece for a game. More like an actual world. Like, I mean. If Diamond City Market didn't have the vendors shouting slogans while you're walking around, it'd feel much less like an actual market and more like a place for the player to dump stuff off at. Even if it is essentially the latter, it's still important to me to get a sense of 'hey this place actually has stuff happen while you're not here.'

but meh. whatever~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: February 07, 2017, 09:51:28 am »

Give it time.

Eventually, the enemy dialog will be a combination of a sanity checked markov chain, and realtime voice synth (that is actually worth a shit).  After that, it will have some rudimentary neural net ai running behind it so that the NPCs actually CAN, Actually banter. (semi-randomness from the markov generator feedstock, coupled with a NN AI that can determine meaning, and use that meaning to weight its own markov chain output before sending it to the sanitizer for proper gramatical and sentence structure.) Such AIs would have some "personality" variables for things they are programmed to like, dislike, know about, etc, that would dramatically shape their output streams and interaction with other NPCs.  (Think something on par with IBM Watson, coupled with some preset personality profile data)

It will still have plenty of warts, but would be better than the Russian stalkers shouting "A Nu! CHeeky breeky!" at you every time they see you in stalker.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: February 07, 2017, 10:12:51 am »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: February 07, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »

For me it's an uncanny valley situation. They feel less alive to me because they repeat a few ambient lines ad nauseam, NPCs in town often having repetitive conversations or making the same remarks to you every time you pass by. A robot like Spot (or any of the Big Dog-inspired robots) might be cute because it stumbles like a real animal yet isn't, but this dude's ScarJo bot is deeply unpleasant despite having more of the superficial characteristics of a living thing.

The robot is endearing enough it actually seems sadistic to kick it.

The humanoid robot is creepy mostly in context because I'm pretty sure that weirdo made that bot just so he could fuck it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: February 07, 2017, 04:56:41 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: February 07, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »

Give it time.

Eventually, the enemy dialog will be a combination of a sanity checked markov chain, and realtime voice synth (that is actually worth a shit).
While having an AI that can intelligently chat with itself is the endgame, honestly all we need to see a massive improvement is the second one of those. Making it so that you don't need to have an actual voice actor record every inane bit of gossip and chatter for NPCs, just a writer to put it all down and have a computer magic up a voice for it should drastically reduce the number of times you have to hear "Stay a while and listen!" over and over again.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:46 pm »

Give it time.

Eventually, the enemy dialog will be a combination of a sanity checked markov chain, and realtime voice synth (that is actually worth a shit).
While having an AI that can intelligently chat with itself is the endgame, honestly all we need to see a massive improvement is the second one of those. Making it so that you don't need to have an actual voice actor record every inane bit of gossip and chatter for NPCs, just a writer to put it all down and have a computer magic up a voice for it should drastically reduce the number of times you have to hear "Stay a while and listen!" over and over again.

Curious, has anyone tried to do this using existing ones and the excuse of making the setting only inhabited by robots?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 324