Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519458 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3750 on: January 30, 2017, 05:38:14 am »

I just read the last three pages of neo ranting about something that was never said and what the fuccckkkkkkkkk

-_-

You know what you did.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:12:50 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: January 30, 2017, 05:43:04 am »

comment is going to be a running theme for a while. It is going to be nothing but that.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:13:03 am by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: January 30, 2017, 06:45:33 am »

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

Apparently the first Fable starts out with child-PC's village being burned down, friends and family murdered, and sister kidnapped. The most clichéd unoriginal opening story possible.

Stories that start this way are a peeve of mine.

also you can't play a woman
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: January 30, 2017, 11:17:35 am »

You get her back in like half an hour too IIRC.

Typing games where backspace doesn't work

When you're really typing and hit a wrong key, your instinct is to backspace and correct it. Not continue typing until you hit the right letter. Most typing games have a deduction per missed letter too, so you'll hit a wrong key that halts you mid-word, then miss a whole lot of letters because your typing instincts are out of sync with the game.

Typing game developers, please make your typing games behave more or less like actual typing? Please?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:07:08 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »

Apparently the first Fable starts out with child-PC's village being burned down, friends and family murdered, and sister kidnapped. The most clichéd unoriginal opening story possible.

Stories that start this way are a peeve of mine.

also you can't play a woman

Honestly Fable in general is just ... I see a *loading screen* lot of praise *loading screen* for the original *loading screen* but it's just such *loading screen* a bad port. Everything felt awkward to use, the art style was bleh, lots of things made no sense. All of that is ON TOP OF the intentionally most generic dross for a plot.

I mean, the third one definitely had its issues but at least the gameplay was smooth and there was a moderately interesting twist. Ish.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: January 30, 2017, 02:33:22 pm »

I didn't notice it the first time but Fable is ugly. It's an ugly ugly game. It's like they read in a book that cartoons have giant hands, huge feet and big heads, so they did that and nothing else.

Everybody has an obnoxious voice and every character is a dick to you for no reason, if they're not too bland to have a personality at all. It's hard to be invested in some of the moral choices when everybody's an asshole and treats you like an idiot. The "humor" is a stunted turd as well.

About the only cool thing in Fable was the self-imposed challenges via boasting, and nowadays games do that sort of thing with achievements.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: January 30, 2017, 03:18:52 pm »

Lack of error feedback

That is a bane of many, many games, and a couple of non-game programs, too. When something goes wrong, it's a really bad form to not specify what, exactly, went wrong, when there are multiple plausible reason why it could've went wrong.

Probably the most memorable example of this for me was Morrowind, where there is zero indication between missing because your roll+skill was too low, or missing because you weapon's hitbox is not connecting with the enemy's hitbox.
._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: January 30, 2017, 04:41:10 pm »

On a similar topic, I hate it when game statistics are incredibly vague and don't actually tell the player what they mean and the player has to look it up on the internet.

For example, in Mount & Blade, ranged weapons have an "accuracy" number. The game itself gives no indication whether a high or low accuracy number is good, and besides that it's unclear what poor accuracy actually does to the player. Does it make the player's aim worsen faster? Does it increase the deviation of the projectile?

It doesn't perfectly fit with my definition, but attack strength in Monster Hunter bugs me for basically the same reason. The game tells you what a weapon's attack stat is, but all you know is that a higher attack stat is a good thing. You can't see the monsters' HP, nor can you see how much damage you inflict with an attack, so you can't really tangibly tell how much more powerful a weapon is from your previous one.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: January 30, 2017, 04:59:57 pm »

I didn't notice it the first time but Fable is ugly. It's an ugly ugly game. It's like they read in a book that cartoons have giant hands, huge feet and big heads, so they did that and nothing else.

Everybody has an obnoxious voice and every character is a dick to you for no reason, if they're not too bland to have a personality at all. It's hard to be invested in some of the moral choices when everybody's an asshole and treats you like an idiot. The "humor" is a stunted turd as well.

About the only cool thing in Fable was the self-imposed challenges via boasting, and nowadays games do that sort of thing with achievements.

Given "Albion" is a word for England (Sort of)... There's your answer.

Bunch of people being dicks to each other in exaggerated accents? That is pretty much a staple of UK television.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: January 30, 2017, 05:19:42 pm »

Albion is what King Arthur ruled over in the tales. It's Britain, not England.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: January 30, 2017, 05:23:58 pm »

Albion is what King Arthur ruled over in the tales. It's Britain, not England.

Albion can be used to refer to either England or Britain.

Though yeah, the historical Word did refer to Britain (the entire island).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: January 30, 2017, 05:40:45 pm »

It wasn't the translation at all, in fact the lines are untouched AFAIK. It's the performances. Mei Ling's accent is the most noticeable change, but there's tons of little things. In general it feels a lot less passionate and emotive than the original performance. Also, Grey Fox got a stupid gravelly voice that removed any and all emotion from his lines.

The robot filter I mentioned before editing this post was apparently a thing I imagined at some point, huh.

EDITEDIT: Compare the original Grey Fox with The Twin Snakes version of the same scene. Massive spoilers, but I feel like it's the best scene to illustrate my point.
Thanks for that!  I'm really glad to know the differences between the versions.
Honestly?  Obviously the graphics were improved, but also I feel like the... details of the fight... were improved on, made more clear.
As for the voice actor, I would prefer the original.  But not... by much.  They're both throaty.
And technically the lines changed, but very slightly.  Original might have been a little better, or maybe just more exotic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: January 30, 2017, 06:10:55 pm »

It's not really the throaty, it's the emotion. Grey Fox in Twin Snakes feels like a block of wood when he delivers his lines. Which is ironic, because original Grey Fox looks like a block of wood :P

As ridiculous as some additions are, I do think just the additional frames and detail have improved some scenes as you say.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: February 01, 2017, 06:18:01 am »

Ok here is one I didn't have until Resident Evil 7 but

Right behind you teleportation!

Ok, now a very effective form of horror is that when the badguy is out of sight he can essentially be anywhere! Sure, these can stretch plausibility as they seem to be able to zoom around when your not looking even though they move slowly when your eye is on them... but still it is very effective.

And... Resident Evil 7 does that mostly well EXCEPT...

It has a obsession with that jump scare and is willing to do it pretty much no matter what. You could be in the middle of an empty field and they will be behind you.

It kind of ruins the horror for the villain to go from "He could be anywhere OHH NO!" to "Now this is a videogame, so he should be right behind me after this".

If you can't think of a way to get the villain to that spot... Don't use that spot.

Limited Flashlight resource in horror games

Ok before I go on I should state that this is more when the flashlight is a light source. I know that as a horror element the ticking clock that is your only source of light is a good source of horror.

Yet in order for this to work in most games they are typically forced to make the Flashlight as battery inefficient as humanly possible... Yet the issue isn't even JUST that it is annoying to have to constantly have this drain.

It is that "being able to see" is sort of an important commodity in a videogame and anything that messes with your ability to see for large swaths of time is something that should be expunged... Crawling around in darkness is terrible.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:24:08 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: February 01, 2017, 07:01:39 am »

Game makers like to pretend it is still the 1980s, and that a simple flashlight needs *8* D-cell batteries to make light equal to a candle, that lasts 2 hours.

Rather than post 2000, where we have super bright white LED flashlights that can run for nearly 24 hours and 2 AA batteries.
Because "Trope mechanic makes up for my lack of creativity YO."

More fun, IMO, would be adding an NFC chip-bullet/BB, powered by an AM broadcast energy source.  When the baddy is near, you hear the beeping from your proximity sensor but have no idea where it is.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 324