Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519455 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3765 on: February 01, 2017, 07:36:11 am »

Interesting Tidbit "Alone in the Dark" got its name due to a mechanic it dropped during the development process. Originally you were going to have a matchbook with only a certain number of matches, when they ran out you lose (either because they kill you, or because the final part of the game requires one).

Now if only I could forget Alone in the Dark 2 and 3 happened...

Also I find it interesting that the female character they made for the first game (who is also the "First female videogame character ever made for a female audience") is more popular and frankly interesting than Carnby... Yet Carnby has been in 2, 3, and the modern day Alone in the Dark (I think both of them).

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: February 01, 2017, 10:55:10 am »

Game makers like to pretend it is still the 1980s, and that a simple flashlight needs *8* D-cell batteries to make light equal to a candle, that lasts 2 hours.

Rather than post 2000, where we have super bright white LED flashlights that can run for nearly 24 hours and 2 AA batteries.
Because "Trope mechanic makes up for my lack of creativity YO."

More fun, IMO, would be adding an NFC chip-bullet/BB, powered by an AM broadcast energy source.  When the baddy is near, you hear the beeping from your proximity sensor but have no idea where it is.

Hell, there are flashlights and lanterns these days that don't even require batteries at all:
https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Light-Shake-Flashlight/dp/B000BPJ262
https://www.amazon.com/Cranking-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Emergency-Carabiner/dp/B010LQOROW/ref=pd_lpo_469_bs_tr_t_2/161-9352208-1904604?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YDKV7FPTC55W809DNFNC

Hell, these might even make for a more engaging gameplay mechanic where you have to stop everything you are doing just to recharge your light resource.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: February 01, 2017, 11:43:21 am »

Tattletail does have the shake light. I'm not sure if one was actually available in 1998, but it is a game that does feature a different kind of flashlight.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: February 01, 2017, 03:00:09 pm »

Tattletail is actually somewhat realistic because every shake-light I've ever had sucked balls.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: February 01, 2017, 03:15:42 pm »

ok this has probably been brought up but this is just irking me lately.  Games on PC that were clearly ported from consoles not having gamepad support.  When more games designed specifically for the PC have gamepad support than ones ported directly over from consoles, that's bordering on ridiculousness.  I understand and agree for certain types of games that KB+M is a superior control scheme, but games that were designed to be played with gamepads are not those types of games.

Yeah, I just bought ME1 and ME2 on Steam cause they were on sale for $9 packaged.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: February 01, 2017, 03:37:34 pm »

>Spending any money on Mass Effect

I'm sorry for your loss.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »

ME1 is one of the worst console-to-PC conversions I've ever seen. The rest were fine though.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: February 01, 2017, 04:38:32 pm »

ME3 lacks controller support in a very irksome way.

It can be cobbled on using some 3rd party glue, but for some reason the PC port lacks GUI features needed for controller operation, because
"despite being designed for a console, we decided that instead of adding a keyboard/mouse UI to the existing console controller UI, we would just replace it totally instead, for inexplicable reasons."

ME1 and ME2 can get controller support working with something like xpadder, and has the same "Why you want controller support for game designed for controller?! You play on PC, and that means keyboard! WE SAY SO!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: February 01, 2017, 06:51:02 pm »

Tattletail does have the shake light. I'm not sure if one was actually available in 1998, but it is a game that does feature a different kind of flashlight.

Well it is even a bonus because you can essentially always refresh the flashlight.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: February 01, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »

It has a obsession with that jump scare and is willing to do it pretty much no matter what. You could be in the middle of an empty field and they will be behind you.

Any time I see this, it reminds me of the ludicrous scene in The Walking Dead where Dale gets killed.  He's literally walking through an empty field and then. . .SUDDENLY ZOMBIE!  A slow moving, lumbering oaf of a monster that probably stinks so bad you could smell it from 100 feet away, and it somehow surprises this dude.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: February 05, 2017, 11:40:16 pm »

Any enemy chatter at all

Sure maybe there's one or two really good examples of this. I don't care. Anymore I just wish they wouldn't even try. Hearing one of three bandit VAs half-mumble the same song five times in a row while waiting for an opportunity isn't world-building, it's annoying. Hearing ignorant settlers, high-tech soldiers and city gangsters all use the same nonsensical taunts only gets sillier the more it happens. Overhearing two soldiers discussing some main plot point was hokey and lame when I first experienced it in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, let alone Dishonored eleven years later.

Yeah I could turn the voices off, but I doubt there's a game out there that has seperate sliders for regular dialogue and the stuff I don't want to hear. :P

Just let anything I need to kill be perfectly mute. Plenty of games had enemies that didn't talk and they're just fine!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: February 06, 2017, 12:15:41 am »

Heh, I get annoyed at that when the enemies are supposed to be high trained professionals. Like in F.E.A.R where you're fighting supersoldiers, they keep yammering on about being able to see you and what they're doing, throwing grenades and flanking. It is for the benefit of the player but radio silence, closed circuits and hand signals should be more of a thing sometimes.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:01 am »

I generally like that sort of thing, but it is a bit silly.  Especially in F.E.A.R, where the telepathy of the supersoldiers is a major plot point :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: February 06, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »

I enjoyed hearing random mook conversations as I flew by in Arkham Asylum and City. Gave the game more life to it. But those guys were random criminals, not professional soldiers.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: February 06, 2017, 01:12:55 pm »

Ohh did we say it was useless? Actually we meant it was extremely valuable and important

DANG IT VIDEOGAMES! If you give me junk, please let me treat it like junk! I've been playing Harvest moon like games such as Stardew Valley and Rune Factory and goodness do they come back far into the game and tell you that the junk you been tossing is suddenly the most important thing on the earth.

Mind you this isn't necessarily bad game design... But this is a "Pet Peeve" thread and goodness does it peeve me to find out that the weeds I've just been tossing out suddenly are the required ingredient for fertilizer.

I am such a hoarder that I like to step away from that because otherwise I end up collecting everything (My "Sims 3" and "Sims 4" character inventories often get so large they break the game... No really)
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 324