Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519481 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3735 on: January 29, 2017, 07:24:48 am »

Most of them are fairly badly written, of course. Usually very obvious We_Found_Strange_Spikey_Thing_Probably_Harmless.ogg or HELP_THE_WALLS_ARE_COVERED_IN_KEBAB.mp3.  Most of the work an audio log endeavours to do could be done by having an old news broadcast or public announcement play in the background.

But then again, I adore all those books in the Elder Scrolls. Those books about ancient heroes and what-not that have very little to do with the story of the game (and a lot of the times not at all). But then again, it is never really necessary to read them. They are there if you wish to, and the ability to choose your own immersion is always rather welcome. An entirely optional little flavour book in Oblivion is probably not comparable to a bad case of the audiologs in, say, Dead Space.

This leads to my current pet peeve with games in general these days.  Writing obviously no longer being a concern in story driven games.  I understand most games aren't going to be masterpieces of the written word talked about at Shakespearean levels in 600 years(which Shakespeare would probably find humorous himself), but at least put as much passion into your writing as you are putting into other areas.  Can we stop with the "space gods" and "twists everyone saw coming before game was even announced" already?
"these days"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 29, 2017, 08:14:33 am »

Something I've noticed in recent online games that have a hub menu of sorts (garages in the tank games, ports in ship games, hangars with planes, etc..) that is more than a UI. They like to ignore your graphic settings when there, now, I know they want it looking nice and since it's a limited scene it's not too taxing overall, but holy fuck do I hate having to hear my GPU rev the fan like crazy because suddenly the game went to max settings. It also usually comes with shitty/laggy performance which is irritating because you shouldn't have shitty performance in the goddamn menu part of the game, to say nothing of having certain options like motion blur being turned on even though you specifically do not want that god damned eye-cancer shit anywhere near your game.

So yeah, if I set my video options in a certain way it's because I want it like that for the entirety of the goddamned game, you going around that is incredibly irritating and contemptuous.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: January 29, 2017, 11:47:05 pm »

This one is based on criticism other people put forward on you... and not directly related to the games themselves

What you don't do with your money is on Principle (No wait, I mean: If you don't buy what I want to buy, your just being a whiny baby)

So human beings have this thing called money which represents a certain amount of value usually as a way to store up labor and goods over time so it may be traded for goods and services. Every person has the responsibility to ensure they spend money responsibly and decide for yourself what is and isn't worth spending money on.

OHH WAIT NOPE!

You see, if you don't spend your money on something... You are "Not buying it on principle" which is code for "Being an irrational baby". Every excuse as to why you should buy it will come out in conversation "It is only this much" or "It gets you 500 hours of joy". Yet the funny thing is that this line of thinking is exactly the type of thinking companies are trying to impart on the consumer as well. The only time not spending your money is acceptable is if it is a huge overt rip off, anything else is "On principle".

Which is frankly an annoying line of argument for anyone trying to get value for their money. Maybe I don't value something just because it SEEMS cheap (I'll ignore the times it was actually a "One up" strategy to make you spend little bits of money at a time until you actually spent hundreds of dollars... Something the shopping network uses and "free" games), or maybe I don't value time wasted in something that is barely fun... Maybe I want to spend money on something I find worthwhile and every single detail of it is important to how I see it overall.

Unless Principle is suddenly code word for actually having an opinion...

And yes this does mean that maybe I don't want to buy a game BECAUSE it has rip off DLC. I'll always want the DLC if I own the product, so why would I subject myself to it? That seems like a bad thing and not a "Principle" as in "You would have a great time with the game anyway" inference where you are saying how I'd enjoy something.

Also the odd thing is I could easily made this a diatribe on how people are abusing "On principle" to the extent that it has become a negative so much so that it is inappropriate to use in a positive situation "I don't want to murder this person just because my commanding officer told me to. It is the principle". Yet it isn't people who did that, it is the media. Yes escalating things "On principle" is typically a bad thing to do,  but not always... The thing is that everyone has Principles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: January 30, 2017, 01:16:03 am »

But that is opposing on principle. You're not refusing to purchase based on your like-dislike of a game, but your ideals regarding DLC.

Are you sure about that? Are you sure it isn't based on my like-dislike of a game? Which I said it was.

That it actually makes my like of the game less :P

Rather then me just being stubborn.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: January 30, 2017, 01:27:20 am »

Except the like-dislike isn't about the actual content of the game, but its distribution.

Have you ever played games with DLC? Such as Dragon Age Origins?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: January 30, 2017, 01:29:58 am »

Yes.

So... I've never bought the DLC for it. I've never looked it up. Yet I know exactly what DLC is available.

It is part of the game.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: January 30, 2017, 01:32:20 am »

But that is opposing on principle. You're not refusing to purchase based on your like-dislike of a game, but your ideals regarding DLC. I mean, it's completely fine to oppose things on principle- I do all the time. It's just the difference of not wanting due to not liking, and not wanting due to disagreeing with something external to the actual content.

If you're the kind of completist who wants to do everything in a game possible, you're going to dread the next DLC and the one after that and the one after that being a permanent drain, and it's going to ruin any enjoyment of the game.  Simply being subjected to that repeatedly is preemptively going to ruin the game.  Why buy it under those circumstances?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: January 30, 2017, 01:34:28 am »

So, would you not buy a game despite the fact that you like its content/game mechanic because of that perpetual recurring DLC mechanic?

That would be not buying a game on principle.

What's wrong with having principles?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:24 am »

So, would you not buy a game despite the fact that you like its content/game mechanic because of that perpetual recurring DLC mechanic?

That would be not buying a game on principle.

What's wrong with having principles?

Principle is code for "irrational" so don't think he is using "Principle" as in "Principle"

Since remember... "I don't want something, I do not want" is a principle technically.

Even though you gave a perfectly reasonable explanation for why DLC would ruin the game, it wasn't a good enough explanation.

It infers that the "logical" thing to do is to buy the game you will not enjoy, based around Ispil's precepts on buying a game. THAT is why he is arguing that it is "Principle"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:26 am »

Seriously dude, just stop.

You come into arguing against my Pet Peeve by doing EXACTLY what my pet peeve was about and you are surprised I am annoyed?

I should ask for an apology for willfully agitating me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: January 30, 2017, 01:40:41 am »

This reminds me of GWG.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: January 30, 2017, 01:41:00 am »

Considering you pet peeve is just bringing up an argument from a thread from a month ago over an argument you had with me, yes.

Especially since you continually read into things that I'm not saying. It's like you want to start a fight. Which I don't.

No, it has nothing to do with you.

In order to be about you, you would have had to actually do the things I wrote about.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: January 30, 2017, 01:46:50 am »

This reminds me of GWG.
Considerably.

Anyhow the point is. The major proponent of the Principle argument is that it is based of the idea that the person is being irrational and illogical.

What the actual argument is, is that the person is being irrational because their values are not the person arguing's values.

It is basically a "You're entitled" argument. Entitled typically means "You want something, I do not believe you deserve" whether or not it is logical.

It annoys me because not only is it such indoctrinated thinking (basically saying EXACTLY what the sales department wants them to say), but also it is directly accusing a person's buying choices as being invalid. That in order to be a logical person you MUST buy everything they want to buy OR just dislike it entirely.

This IS what the argument boils down to. "I don't want to super size my popcorn", "But it is only twenty cents more", "I don't want to spend another twenty cents", "Your just not buying it on principle". Or even "I don't want to buy popcorn at all, I'd be too tempted to supersize it", "But it is only twenty cents more", "I don't want to spend another twenty cents, I don't want to be tempted to overspend", "You just don't want it on principle".

Goodness man... Just get your own popcorn.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:49:00 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:12 am »

I'll stay out of this for now, but I'll go in if it escalates.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: January 30, 2017, 05:36:38 am »

I just read the last three pages of neo ranting about something that was never said and what the fuccckkkkkkkkk
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 324