Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519484 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3705 on: January 28, 2017, 09:02:41 am »

Its not that I dislike Bethesda games, its just an amusing observation. And Bethesda is a company a lot of people seem to have a love-hate relationship with so they're stuff gets brought up here a lot.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: January 28, 2017, 11:57:23 am »

Those damn cliff racers tho
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: January 28, 2017, 12:06:00 pm »

Its not that I dislike Bethesda games, its just an amusing observation. And Bethesda is a company a lot of people seem to have a love-hate relationship with so they're stuff gets brought up here a lot.

It has a lot to do with the fact that they make very unique games with some good story aspects and good gameplace.

coupled with really bad gameplay decisions and bad story...

With a popularity so strong that you feel compelled to take a side.

yet the bad story or gameplay doesn't come off as charming or part of the package... It feels kind of intrusive or that it should have been shored up...

In otherwords... It isn't Drakengard a game that can be both terrible and good at the same time... yet not induce a love/hate relationship.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:07:52 pm by Neonivek »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: January 28, 2017, 12:57:08 pm »

Voice acting killed RPGs. :V

Seriously though. It's a lot faster and cheaper to write about ten to twenty responses to a character's situation than it is to voice those lines. Particularly if you have to have a handful of different actors each do voice over.

The few bits of voice acting in morrowind really did help make some moments feel important.
But one of things not having it acted did was let conversations drift from topic to topic with out npc being robot tour guides.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: January 28, 2017, 01:13:23 pm »

NPCs are robot information kiosks though.

My one complaint with the voice acting is that Dagoth Ur sounds nothing like I imagined. He sounds like some affable old gent, not an ancient god who's been in hiding for centuries.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:03 pm »

That is true. There is always something to complain about when it comes to Bethesda... And there is also always something to praise. Dear God, when I am old and grey, I imagine I will tell my grandchildren fairy-tales, and forget that I am actually giving them the Elder Scrolls cliff-notes. Of course, they might smell a rat when I say "and then, Master Cat in Ebony Boots ate six shepherd's pies, slew the wraith and decided to start a pharmacy business."

Seriously though. It's a lot faster and cheaper to write about ten to twenty responses to a character's situation than it is to voice those lines. Particularly if you have to have a handful of different actors each do voice over.

The few bits of voice acting in morrowind really did help make some moments feel important.
But one of things not having it acted did was let conversations drift from topic to topic with out npc being robot tour guides.

Text only is awfully underrated, in many occasions. After all, the beauty with text, and writing, is that the reader may give it any voice they like. With that said, I fear that it is too late to redact it, now. It would feel odd, unvoiced dialogue in the next Elder Scrolls. And it would be even more jarring for newcomers, which will no doubt scare off the producers.

Those damn cliff racers tho

Praise Saint Jiub. Blessed be his name, long be his glory.

NPCs are robot information kiosks though.

My one complaint with the voice acting is that Dagoth Ur sounds nothing like I imagined. He sounds like some affable old gent, not an ancient god who's been in hiding for centuries.

I did not expect what I found in the Madgod's palace. And yet, now I would not have it any other way. It would seem that being an affable old chap is a true mark of power in Nirn and beyond.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: January 28, 2017, 01:34:28 pm »

While text is liberating, it also tends to have a very unfortunate side effect of really dense writing in what is supposed to just be an ordinary conversation. You can have characters dropping veritable essays on you after you just greeted them and asked what they were doing.

I still tend to prefer the freedom no voice-acting gives a crpg, but it's not without its downfalls. Overwritten, dense dialogue can really chug the game down if it's not used properly (or much worse, it just makes me skip the essay retort because I've grown a restless and would like to return to actual gameplay, thank you).

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: January 28, 2017, 01:38:27 pm »

You can just skim thou text for the usefull parts about where magic sword is, your not force to listen the entire thing. 
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: January 28, 2017, 01:42:09 pm »

You can just skim thou text for the usefull parts about where magic sword is, your not force to listen the entire thing.
Skim all I want, poorly written overly verbose tripe is still poorly written and overly verbose tripe and it's annoying to have to bash through so much of it to get to the important bits. Especially if the game designers have the bright idea to not highlight the important parts of what is being said.

A lot of my problems with text-based dialogue are most often circumvented by the devs just hiring an experienced dialogue writer who knows when to chew and more importantly when to trim the fat.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: January 28, 2017, 02:18:05 pm »

Hey, I never said that couldn't be a problem. :P But it is as you say. Any problems are easily and immediately alleviated by simply having a writer who knows how to be concise.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: January 28, 2017, 08:35:56 pm »

I liked Gordon Freeman's voice actor pretty well.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: January 28, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »

This isn't really a peeve, but it seems like the most appropriate thread to complain about it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: realized this probably constituted a spoiler
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:44:38 pm by itisnotlogical »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: January 28, 2017, 08:43:37 pm »

This isn't really a peeve, but it seems like the most appropriate thread to complain about it.

Metal Gear Solid did a complete 180 on Meryl's entire character arc. In her introduction in MGS1, she says that she hated makeup and dolls and wanted nothing more than to be a soldier. In the MGS4 cutscene I'm watching right this moment she's talking about how all she ever wanted was to be a pretty bride at a nice wedding.

Earlier in MGS4 she got all pissy at Roy being sexist, but now that Roy's finally proud of Meryl's soldiering she just wants to get hitched? Was there something I missed?

Ok assuming that she is being written consistently and they aren't just inventing stuff on the spot

Meryl is a product of her time in that in order to be taken seriously as a woman, especially a female soldier, she needs to cast off all aspects of femininity in order to not seem weak (this is a more common theme in Japan...)

So now that she is an accepted soldier in MGS4... She doesn't have to keep up her level of masculinity in order to fit in. So more of her real personality can shine through.

An example of this being not spread out throughout a show would be the Female Guard from rune factory 4. She wanted to be the guard and she is extremely competent and steadfast... But she fears people won't take her seriously because of how secretly girly she is (and she is the most stereotypically girly in that game. Loves dresses, sweets, and flowers)

Or rather... People have this problem with the idea that a woman can be both badass AND pretty pretty princess... without being a battle princess.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:01:06 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: January 28, 2017, 09:11:13 pm »

FYI, itsnotlogical put some of that in a spoiler.

Edit: realized this probably constituted a spoiler
jesus christ kojima, why
I still haven't played MGS4 and probably won't for a long time, because I'm not interested in a PS3 or 4, but this just makes me glad.
MGS5's Quiet made me super uncomfortable but hey maybe that's just how she is.  Meryl though?  Wow, okay, whatever.

Honestly most of the little I've heard of MGS4 is pretty disappointing, but it does have some scenes I love.  Specifically those involving Ocelot (Revolver or otherwise).  That final battle is still glorious, no matter the rest of the game.

Final battle with Liquid Ocelot, which expertly tributes every other core MGS:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yajquwpNaLA
Quiet's scene from MGS5 but 1000X better and actually somehow more in line with established canon:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: January 28, 2017, 09:43:54 pm »

Those are hardly what I'd call expert tributes. These feel like "Johnson from marketing says we should throw something in for older fans" tributes, although they usually don't happen one after another like that.

Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 324