Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519699 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3375 on: August 21, 2016, 06:40:49 pm »

I was a fan of most of the Mass Effect music. Skyrim's, too. Haven't played FO:4 but NV and 3 had good stuff. Can't think of much lately but I haven't played that much lately, so...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: August 22, 2016, 12:26:25 am »

Also I am going to put this

"Anti-violence messages in videogames"

I'll be more specific. I mean games that critique the player for playing/liking a violent videogame. Super duper lame everytime no matter how good a game is.

AND!!!

"666"

I never saw this number in a game and not groan.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 12:28:26 am by Neonivek »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: August 22, 2016, 01:07:37 am »

The music of the Arkham series is probably the most enjoyable I've listened to out of the big name games. The theme of Arkham city is very nice with similarities to the 1989 Batman theme by Danny Elfman. The Arkham Origins theme is also similar to the Dark Knight Rises theme by Hans Zimmer and James Howard.

Though, yes. All this is main menu themes and not during gameplay. Some of the battle tracks for Warhammer: Total War are nice but most of the others I could list are older games like "Curse of Monkey Island", "Painkiller" or "Unreal Tournament".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: August 22, 2016, 02:24:17 am »

That's funny because I'd say The Dark Knight Rises set the tone for generic movie soundtracks nowadays. Not the DESHI DESHI HAJARA HAJARA part, but the orchestral bit that just goes up and down and up and down in a very simple dun-dun-dun-dun-dundundun-DADADA-dadada-dun-dun way.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: August 22, 2016, 03:13:14 am »

My father really liked Downstream from Braid's soundtrack.  Called it "medieval sounding".  I mainly like the "drop" halfway through...  One of my favorite tracks in any video game.
I thought he'd like the Bastion soundtrack since he loves Americana but not really.  Might be because I started him off on the Pantheon , which is kinda dark for an introduction.
Growing up during the cold war, he got a couple grim laughs from some of Fallout's classic radio choices.  Especialy "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire".

I love Iji's soundtrack too, though that might just be because I associate it with the most emotional action game before Undertale.  (Cave Story's music is technically better, but Iji's cheaper tunes are just more evocative for me)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: August 22, 2016, 04:01:00 am »

I like Fallout's soundtracks alot, both the original tracks and the licensed in-universe stuff.

I don't care much for New Vegas' soundtrack, though. Even though it probably fits the setting, I don't like any of the whiny achey-breaky cowboy ballads. It's a disappointment, because often times Fallout is a gateway to genres and periods of music I'd never listen to otherwise.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: August 22, 2016, 06:34:35 am »

I don't know whether I find the fallout music as enjoyable. I tend to think of the licensed music as being seperate to the games soundtrack and, in my mind, not contributing to the overall score I would give it even though the songs can be good. I think I remember a lot of the New Vegas atmospheric soundtrack being based on, or being songs from Fallout 1 and 2. Alterative could be go to YouTube and listen to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Benny Goodman or Django Reinhardt in the background.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: August 22, 2016, 12:28:24 pm »

I'll be more specific. I mean games that critique the player for playing/liking a violent videogame. Super duper lame everytime no matter how good a game is.
dunno man i think undertale actually did it pretty well

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: August 22, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »

dunno man i think undertale actually did it pretty well

Undertale criticized the player's decisions in a game that presents a choice as to how to proceed, as in the players have to specifically go out of their way to commit total genocide and even then it is thematic not a genuine criticism against the player. Not violence in videogames altogether.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: August 22, 2016, 01:08:50 pm »

Hm, I must've misread "liking a [violent] videogame" as "killing in a videogame", because I was sure you said that. My bad.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: August 22, 2016, 01:12:11 pm »

Hm, I must've misread "liking a [violent] videogame" as "killing in a videogame", because I was sure you said that. My bad.

It can be the exact same thing to be honest.

Undertale gets around it by it at least being a choice you have to go out of your way to achieve. It isn't a criticism of videogames.

Games where your only choice IS to kill and they criticize the player for even bothering to play the game... Is pretty much just criticizing you for playing a violent videogame.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:01 pm »

I presume you didn't like Spec Ops after the WP came into play?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: August 22, 2016, 02:02:42 pm »

A lot of people complain about that one in particular, but I think if you take a step back to just let the game be a ride rather than a whole choices thing it works better.

Though to be honest, I feel to me the only games that do the pacifist or no/minimal killing thing well so far are the metal gear series, Iji and undertale. Mostly because for the most part, they don't make a big deal out of it besides reacting in ways that make sense depending how you're playing (Besides MGSV which has that weird demon points thing)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: August 22, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »

If Spec Ops: The line gave you your money back when you shut off the game like the devs say you should have, people might not have complained.

The devs made a game to insult the player for playing the game.  If they had sold it as "Civilian murderer: The Game" people probably would have just not bought it, and the people who did probably wouldn't have complained about being called a bastard.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:16 pm »

Except that Spec Ops was a riff on a very specific subgenre of videogames, i.e. the brown military shooter genre of yesteryear and while it tackled the concept of "violence is bad" it did so entirely to showcase how ridiculous and kinda messed up said genre was.

It was most certainly not a riff on the nature of all videogames.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 324