Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519727 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3315 on: July 29, 2016, 11:10:54 pm »

There was one that my sister played that stood out to me...

Something about traveling through different time periods to find out who framed your future self as your past self.

That one struck me as pretty damn good, though it's from a few years back.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: July 30, 2016, 01:40:31 am »

I don't think there's a single point-and-click that I've beaten without a guide. Maybe an extremely short escape-the-room game on Newgrounds. I haven't played a newer Telltale-style one, but that's just my own disinterest in the genre.

What always bothered me about point-and-click as a genre is that the game itself is irrelevant once you know all the puzzle solutions; there's no skill element beyond bullshit instakill quick time events.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: July 30, 2016, 02:11:49 am »

What always bothered me about point-and-click as a genre is that the game itself is irrelevant once you know all the puzzle solutions; there's no skill element beyond bullshit instakill quick time events.

Wait what? Ohhh... No that is the Interactive Fiction genre.

Well... then again there was The Silver Lining that was a point and click with quick time events (that was annoying)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: July 30, 2016, 07:37:30 am »

I mean, there's instakill quick time events in that point and click you forced me to play awhile ago, kings quest I think.  There was like... 3 or 4 spots where I had to flip tables/close doors/dodge arrows in time or I died.

It's not as blatant as todays quick time events when buttons show up on the screen but it's close enough really.

Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: July 30, 2016, 08:18:58 am »

I mean, there's instakill quick time events in that point and click you forced me to play awhile ago, kings quest I think.  There was like... 3 or 4 spots where I had to flip tables/close doors/dodge arrows in time or I died.

It's not as blatant as todays quick time events when buttons show up on the screen but it's close enough really.

Ahh! Quest for Glory!

I remember that part of the game! I admit I was laughing quite a bit.

Though I don't give that section particular credit for being good... Given that it is just pure trial and error with vague indications of what to do... made EVEN WORSE by when it was first made and you had to type in all your actions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: July 31, 2016, 09:04:34 pm »

I don't think there's a single point-and-click that I've beaten without a guide. Maybe an extremely short escape-the-room game on Newgrounds. I haven't played a newer Telltale-style one, but that's just my own disinterest in the genre.

Hmm. I thought that Technobabylon had refreshingly logical puzzles and stuff, but even then I looked up the guide sometimes. Either because of dumb solutions or my own thick skull.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 01, 2016, 04:50:48 am »

Hmm. I thought that Technobabylon had refreshingly logical puzzles and stuff, but even then I looked up the guide sometimes. Either because of dumb solutions or my own thick skull.

They way I put it is if you find out the solution to a puzzle and go "Why didn't I think of that?" it was probably a good one. If you immediately go "Well how was I supposed to know?" then it was likely bad.

Kind of makes me wish I kept up my point and click letsplays... I should have been smarter then let people pick since Syberia while I will vouch for being a good game. Is REALLY dry and boring.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 01, 2016, 05:29:30 am »

I found I had to get into the mindset of the games logic. Day of the Tentacle is quite bizarre so more illogical solutions are probably more likely, same with Sam and Max: Hit the Road.

I think one of the more obtuse puzzles in the King's Quest series is the golden bridle. I don't think there's any hints to it and if it's based off a fairy tale I don't know of it.

All that said, I would rather adventure games be difficult than too easy. I feel developers of adventure games err too far on the side of caution and make the puzzles too easy. Being stumped is frustrating but solving it after leaving and coming back, maybe even a few days later, is very satisfying as well as making the game last longer.

Though, to me, the adventure game genre faded away with the advent of 3D. Games like "Escape from Monkey Island" and "Grim Fandango", while enjoyable, suffered badly from awkward tank controls and stiff, blocky characters.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 01, 2016, 06:30:15 am »

I hate it when games have a map that's arranged where up is up, down is down and so on, but then the game world has a diagonal perspective, or vice versa.

It's weird that I hate this so much because I can't think of any examples.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: August 01, 2016, 07:06:09 am »

Do you mean like in Ultima Online?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: August 01, 2016, 04:48:34 pm »

I recall Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate having something incredibly horrible going on with its minimap and/or keyboard scrolling. Like the keyboard scrolling controls were not oriented the way the minimap was? I think? They might not have even been oriented with the isometric view. It was really disorienting, whatever it was.

Thankfully, no other game I can think of did it that badly ever again.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 01, 2016, 08:05:10 pm »

Also for those who think that day of the tentacle puzzle is too obtuse.

It is actually hinted at on two sides. Allowing you to gracefully solve it without knowing the trick.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: August 06, 2016, 04:08:13 am »

It annoys me when characters have no idea how powerful you are, even when it's very visually apparent.

Spoiler: Fallout 3 (click to show/hide)

Also, how the hell do people keep recognizing me if I'm wearing a helmet that covers my entire face?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 06, 2016, 10:04:28 am »

Spoiler: Fallout 3 (click to show/hide)

I can't think any games off the top of my head where characters recognize your power based on what you're wearing. I do remember in the Witcher townsfolk would exclaim something like "A witcher! Hide your women!" when they spotted you (Geralt).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 06, 2016, 10:51:54 am »

That is a big gripe I have in Bethesda RPGs, yeah, suicidal enemies.  Oblivion actually came close to having a good system for it.  Heck I don't know, maybe random bandits were sometimes willing to let you pass if you had enough speechcraft and the right race?  Pretty sure the charm spells would fix them.  Though, it's more profitable to just kill them.

Skyrim dumbed that down, but of course mods make it better.  Multiple speechcraft mods which allow bribing enemies, or just convincing them you aren't worth assailing.  Not based on equipment, but probably based on level (the Skyrim charm spells certainly were, which was pretty stupid).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 324