Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519733 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3285 on: May 29, 2016, 02:53:18 pm »

Games with a forced, unavoidable moral message

I can't explain it decently in the title, but I'm talking about something like this:
you are talking with the evil enemy, and he says something like "Well, look at all the people you killed. We are not so different, you chose to be evil too".

The only problem: the game never gives you any other option; if the only way I have to win a level is by killing people, I won't feel so bad when you call me out on that. It wasn't much of a choice if it was the only way possible.

(Can't remember the example right now, but I found this in some game I played a while ago)
I'm almost sure that the game you're talking about is Spec Ops: The Line.
._.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: May 30, 2016, 02:54:54 am »

Yeah, that's it. I understand the message and everything, I think the game is quite good, but without that, it's just weaker.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: May 30, 2016, 03:35:52 am »

The game does react differently depending on how you do some things, but yah, you cant avoid most of it. Its mostly little things, like telling your minion to shoot a guy while you do a thing instead of you shooting the guy while minion does the thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: May 30, 2016, 03:43:07 am »

Related to that, I also hate when a game technically gives you a choice, but that choice doesn't matter anyway.

I believe it was Watch_Dogs? I think? Maybe?
You have the option to take down enemies with non lethal attacks; nothing in the game is in any way different because of this. A player killing everyone and another killing nobody will have the exact same dialogues, scenes and reactions.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: May 30, 2016, 04:17:23 am »

That reminds me of Rainbow Six 3, an Xbox shooter nobody seems to remember (it was honestly quite forgettable).

You're supposedly an international police force. Lone terrorists will occasionally surrender to you without a fight. You can still totally blow their brains out and nothing happens. Not even flavor dialogue from your NPC squad. Arresting them doesn't give you bonus points or new gear or anything. Leaving them alone doesn't do anything either. It's weird and pointless. IIRC, it's not even mentioned in the manual.

Although, this is also a game where foreign troops enter a sovereign country and plant a bomb on a civilian plane owned by a private citizen on the basis of off-screen "evidence", so there's that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: May 30, 2016, 04:44:33 am »

In Time Shift, you can disarm enemies with time powers or just by shooting their guns out of their hands.  They usually panic and surrender, particularly if their buddies are dead.

...  Except that the second you look away, or even if you watch them long enough, they always make a run for the nearest weapon.  Even engineers that only had pistols to start with.  I get that it's fascist techno-dictatorship and all but...  Come on, the PC is basically the Flash with a rapidly regenerating powershield.  He was waaay over there, ate a rocket to the face, then suddenly 4 guys heads explode from explosive darts and the 5th gets flung across the room.  And he's holding your gun.

no yeah go for that pistol, sigh

I know most games are basically like this, this one's just disappointing because you can disarm them and they very clearly surrender, begging for mercy.  Then change their mind.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: May 30, 2016, 05:46:27 am »

I know most games are basically like this, this one's just disappointing because you can disarm them and they very clearly surrender, begging for mercy.  Then change their mind.

Doesn't that happen in Skyrim too? Sometimes enemies give up and run away, but if they are healed in any way they come back and attack again?

I'm not sure, but I distinctly remember playing and saying "he gave up, but I'll kill him anyway, he'll start attacking again in a few seconds".

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3292 on: May 30, 2016, 06:21:25 am »

Yes, in Skyrim most living humanoids if brought to low health would stop fighting and claim that they submitted only to get back up and start fighting you again after their passive regen brought their health back up again. A number of animals would flee if injured to the same extent, but again would return to attack as soon as their health had crept back up over the threshold.

Fortunately this being a elder scrolls game mods were able to fix it.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: May 30, 2016, 06:24:13 am »

Games with a forced, unavoidable moral message
-snip-

I really liked that game, except for:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In each other situation you have a choice, to some degree, like

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: May 30, 2016, 09:00:19 pm »

It's not like in the games/movies/books except it totally is so nevermind

A cliche that applies more to storytelling in general than games specifically, but it's one that has annoyed me in a video game lately.

VTM:B has every second or third character telling you that things aren't like they are in the books or movies... yet they're pretty similar. Vampire societies aren't uncommon in urban fantasy, and maybe the Vampire tabletop game came first, but I'm pretty sure that at least The Dresden Files were out by the time Bloodlines was released.

Besides that, it's incredibly egotistical. "Yeah, my setting's so cool and original, you can't just skate by this shit on what you learned from popular culture!"
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: May 30, 2016, 09:13:03 pm »

While you're mostly right...  Our coterie has an in-joke that the Blade movies are vampire tutorials.
Following the Blade movies would get a WoD vampire killed on the first sunrise, if not sooner.  (Or paranoid of harmless stuff like garlic or UV light, or *silver*).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: May 30, 2016, 09:26:03 pm »

Though in an interesting reverse of the situation one of the Vampires says they are immune to crosses. Which is true, except that myth is actually based on fact as the crosses of those with "True Faith" can, in fact, repel vampires when wielded by that person.

Besides that, it's incredibly egotistical. "Yeah, my setting's so cool and original, you can't just skate by this shit on what you learned from popular culture!"

I wouldn't take it to heart. The Vampires of the World of darkness aren't trying to be so much different. so much that they are a combination of every bit of vampire lore and versions of vampires into a cohesive setting.

Heck it even has "Blade" Vampires (well Old World of Darkness did). Heck Dhampirs exist.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: May 30, 2016, 09:43:25 pm »

I wouldn't take it to heart. The Vampires of the World of darkness aren't trying to be so much different. so much that they are a combination of every bit of vampire lore and versions of vampires into a cohesive setting.
Yeah I never played Masquerade (except Bloodlines) but the Requiem manual is actually pretty explicit that each clan represents a separate vampire type from myth.  So you've got your vampires of unquenchable passion, hideous monsters, superior nobles, and werewolves (okay shapechangers).

It's kinda telling that every Masquerade clan claimed Dracula as a member, and had a decent case!

I think the weirdest Requiem clan is probably the one I'm playing, Mekhet.  It's Egyptian, and kinda similar in some ways to the Kuei-jin.  They're basically... spies who preserve and trade knowledge, like librarians.  They seem a bit un-Dracula compared to the rest, and I think they were a bit rare in ancient Rome (more common in Carthage and Alexandria).

Also there are even Twilight "vamps", sorta maybe, if you believe in that Golconda nonsense (;
She/they

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: May 30, 2016, 09:47:28 pm »

Rasputin also apparently belonged to every vampire clan IIRC
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: May 30, 2016, 09:50:55 pm »

Rasputin also apparently belonged to every vampire clan IIRC

Kind of accurate.

It is more that they all are trying to claim he was part of their clan. Double bonus that there isn't even any evidence that he was a vampire (In fact... more evidence that he wasn't).

Kind of makes the Vampires more human that they have petty squabbles like this.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 324