Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519822 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3165 on: March 14, 2016, 02:07:05 pm »

Haven't played the PC version for a long while, but the console version isn't really any better optimized. The lock-picking one (at least for the PS3) uses the analogue shoulder triggers, which doesn't lend itself well to having a 5 second time limit to get through 5 tumblers.

Can't remember the hacking one so much, I think I had fewer issues with that. It was still difficult though heh.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: March 14, 2016, 02:32:48 pm »

I really hate how the new Binding of Issac bosses, Hush and Ultra Greed have scaling damage resist.  Makes most of the items you get in greed mode pointless, as no matter what your DPS or whatever is the final boss still takes basically four minutes.  Four minutes of it doing four or so basic attacks, spawning stupid amounts of distracting enemies, and making itself invulnerable for a short while or spawning coins to self heal for tiny amounts.

The whole point of the game is what silly items and stat boost you get, why make a boss where all that makes little difference.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: March 14, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »

I've never played a good lockpicking minigame, but I would say Assassin's Creed 3 has the most tedious of them all. I prefer the 'hold the button until a bar fills up' kind some stealth games (Styx comes to mind) use. It's only a little annoying when the coast is clear and tense when it isn't.
I feel like a lockpicking minigame could be neat in an actual stealth game, as long as time passes while you're picking the lock. So there is some actual, non-arbitrary pressure to pick well.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3168 on: March 15, 2016, 02:44:23 am »

I think Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory had a not-too-terrible picklocking game. Of course, it was generally unnecessary; you can just break the lock if you have no time. However, that's noisy and leaves a broken lock.
Most splinter cell games let you do that. Good games...
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: March 15, 2016, 05:56:39 am »

I've never played a good lockpicking minigame, but I would say Assassin's Creed 3 has the most tedious of them all. I prefer the 'hold the button until a bar fills up' kind some stealth games (Styx comes to mind) use. It's only a little annoying when the coast is clear and tense when it isn't.
I feel like a lockpicking minigame could be neat in an actual stealth game, as long as time passes while you're picking the lock. So there is some actual, non-arbitrary pressure to pick well.
Thief did that, or at least 1 and 2.  I don't remember lockpicking in 3 or FOUR, it's FOUR DAMMIT

Gaming pet peeve:  When they just drop the sequel number!
I honestly don't get it.  I've heard it's because large sequel numbers scare off new players, somehow...  But personally I consider it a boon if a franchise has been around for a while, maybe improved over time.
Ah well, I'm probably atypical.  And while I did enjoy Thief 3 and even 4, it's clear 4 was designed to appeal to new players.  They didn't exactly dumb it down, so much as consolize the interface.  In fact they added some decent mechanics and made the city look good, and that's all I wanted.

seriously annoyed that they called it "Thief" instead of "Thief 4" though.  At least Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a tagline to distinguish it.  I'd rather they stuck with the amusingly dumb "Thi4f" thing
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: March 15, 2016, 07:09:56 am »

They want to revitalize (read: "get more money out of") a dead franchise by putting an old name on a shiny new box. It makes sense with a game like XCOM bringing an old, relatively obscure series back into the limelight after a long time. It's stupid for a series like Hitman, where the latest installment was very recent and did rather well.

I disagree with it in almost every case, but it's not entirely without ground to stand on.

My newest pet peeve is "episodic games". When Half-Life came out with its episodes, who knew that it would be the model for episodic games to come? Releasing an hour or two of content only after a blood sacrifice when the stars align on Friday the 13th, keeping interest alive with the wink-and-nod dance of "We swear we'll finish the game some day, we promise!" is eerily similar to the early-access Minecraft clone kickstarter racket.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: March 15, 2016, 08:12:26 am »

This is why I haven't night the new Hitman game (episodic nature, rather than number dropping)

If I pay $60 for the game, I want the whole game now. Not a little bit now, another piece next month, and the rest of it later.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:12 am »

It doesn't even look like Hitman. There's no blood or anything.

Also it's got always-online DRM, so there's that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: March 15, 2016, 05:23:18 pm »

It doesn't even look like Hitman. There's no blood or anything.

Also it's got always-online DRM, so there's that.

Aren't the first missions in the preview "training scenarios" with actors? Don't quote me on this, I know almost nothing about it, someone should confirm this if it's true.

And yeah, always online is just dumb for everything that is not multiplayer only. "This will stop hackers for 2, maybe 3 days longer. Then, for the rest of the game's lifetime, pirates will have a much better experience with our games, while actual customers will have to deal with some annoying server/connection issue every few days."
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: March 15, 2016, 05:33:37 pm »

Always online is another bullshit thing, yeah. I live in the country in the middle of nowhere so I don't have very good internet, and it often likes to cut out for a second or two on top of being about the same speed as a snail trapped in molasses. So I guess even if I was interested in the new Hitman game I wouldn't be able to play. Great job, devs.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: March 15, 2016, 05:46:27 pm »

I started playing Valkyria Chronicles a couple days ago. It's one of those games I WANT to love, but just cant because there are sooo many little things annoying me about the game.

First there is units not accepting anything but trenches and Sandbags as cover. They will happily stand behind Rocks, Foilage, fallen Trees and other "Chest high wally" things, and refuse to actually take cover behind them. With the enemy almost allways starting out in fortified positions, this is just mind numbing.

Then the games insistance on adding gimmick levels constantly. I was close to quitting the game for good on the very first boss. Because it's some stupid puzzle mechanic with overpowered super units on the map. And then RIGHT after that they throw a "sneak" mission at you where one of the two guys you have to get to the objective has a sprained ankle. This is a turn based game about war, I remind you. And I'm shuffling two SCOUTS of all things trough a forest, avoiding spotlights. How many shots does it take to actually consider that a good idea?

Finally, the game also does one of those nonsensical Upgrade Systems your way. Most weapons move along a completely linear Upgrade path. Why the fridge do you force me to go to the R&D Section after EVERY. SINGLE. MISSION. To just press 5 buttons you KNOW I was gonna press anyway. Same goes with Leveling Classes. If I hear the Drill Instructor calling me a maggot one more time, I'm gonna break HIS Ankle.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: March 16, 2016, 02:27:38 am »

Finally, the game also does one of those nonsensical Upgrade Systems your way. Most weapons move along a completely linear Upgrade path. Why the fridge do you force me to go to the R&D Section after EVERY. SINGLE. MISSION. To just press 5 buttons you KNOW I was gonna press anyway. Same goes with Leveling Classes. If I hear the Drill Instructor calling me a maggot one more time, I'm gonna break HIS Ankle.
The weapons eventually split into three different upgrade paths.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: March 16, 2016, 03:09:57 pm »

Difficulty levels that affect multiple aspects of the game, but can't be customized
For example, if I'm playing NewCOM, I'm torn between playing classic and impossible because I might want the classic health for my soldiers alongside the classic health for the aliens if I want to make everyone a bit more bullet-spongy. Similarly, I might want to play classic but want the unrestrained Sectopod numbers (each still with classic stats) offered only by impossible.

I also had this problem with Silent Storm. Under normal mode, it wasn't challenging enough. Under hard mode, you can't save during combat which can be annoying. In impossible mode, you can only save between missions, if I remember correctly. Silent Storm Sentinels, however, provided a wide range of options to customize whilst creating your own custom difficulty (saving rules, your health and AP, the enemies' health and AP, durability effects on weapons, etc.)

That way, If I wanted, everyone could be a super-slow walking tank and guns would jam all the time, or everyone could be a quick glass cannon with guns that never malfunction. If I wanted to, I could set up asymmetric gameplay in which my units are much faster but have extremely little health relative to the enemy forces, which are slow juggernauts.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: March 16, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »

More devs should do that. Ever since I played Soldier of Fortune as a wee boy I've been a bit disappointed at every game that lacks highly customizable difficulty levels. Sure you can sometimes mod around those, but that's more work than I care for.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »

What the shit you playing Soldier of Fortune as a wee boy for? That game was ultra-super-violent! :O

And also not very good.

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 324