Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 519807 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3150 on: March 13, 2016, 03:29:19 pm »

Those minigames that are now everywhere. Lockpicking minigames, hacking minigames, whatever. I don't understand why they exist. Who is the guy who feel like he needs to add some match-four minigames in his game? Does anyone find hacking terminals in Fallout 3-4 fun? Was there some kind of review of original Fallout or Deus Ex or something that say "Yes, the game is really great, but it could use some sh**ty f**g minigames in it to be perfect"
This.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: March 13, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »

Lockpicking is at least quick and works on reflex. Fallout hacking is just a minute of staring into a puzzle I solved 100 times already straining my brain in the most boring possible way.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: March 13, 2016, 04:20:23 pm »

I mean all I'm asking is for more interesting settings, like Dark Sun or Geneforge or even Planescape Torment.

While this is a bit old I just want to mention that I'm glad that to see someone mention Geneforge.

The problem that hacking in Fallout 3\NV\4 have is that you can just back out without any penalty so I just mash through it. Which at that point you might as well make it automatic. The lockpicking was okay, but was still mostly busywork.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: March 13, 2016, 05:28:45 pm »

Those minigames that are now everywhere. Lockpicking minigames, hacking minigames, whatever. I don't understand why they exist. Who is the guy who feel like he needs to add some match-four minigames in his game? Does anyone find hacking terminals in Fallout 3-4 fun? Was there some kind of review of original Fallout or Deus Ex or something that say "Yes, the game is really great, but it could use some sh**ty f**g minigames in it to be perfect"
I heard some people say that about Deus Ex actually, yes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: March 13, 2016, 07:00:12 pm »

I don't remember any minigames in Deus Ex.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3155 on: March 13, 2016, 07:24:12 pm »

I don't remember any minigames in Deus Ex.
In Human Revolution there is a hacking minigame.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: March 13, 2016, 08:23:22 pm »

I've never played a good lockpicking minigame, but I would say Assassin's Creed 3 has the most tedious of them all. I prefer the 'hold the button until a bar fills up' kind some stealth games (Styx comes to mind) use. It's only a little annoying when the coast is clear and tense when it isn't.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: March 13, 2016, 08:48:58 pm »

Lockpicking is at least quick and works on reflex. Fallout hacking is just a minute of staring into a puzzle I solved 100 times already straining my brain in the most boring possible way.

I used to do actually do the stupid puzzle thing, but nowadays "hacking" in Fallout 4, I do like this: activate computer, pick the first 4 codewords (because I have the Detective guy's perk, but 3 works too), if that doesn't open, I spend 3-4 more seconds trying to find a Reset bracket or whatever. Otherwise, cancel and retry.

So pretty pointless, ugh. I think I'm just going to install some easier/instant hacking/lockpicking mod. It's not like I don't have a million bobby pins already.

At least in the first Mass Effect, I had so much Omnigel from the junk I found that if I didn't just use it to skip the minigames it was going to waste constantly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:51:38 pm by Sergius »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3158 on: March 13, 2016, 08:55:25 pm »

At least there's a mod that lets you blow up doors that you don't like instead of hacking or picking them open.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: March 14, 2016, 10:13:57 am »

I found the lockpick/hacking minigames in Fallout to be fun, but the hacking minigame does get a little old after a while.

On the other hand, the most annoying minigame I know is probably the hacking minigame from Bioshock, which wouldn't be stressful at all except they decided to put a timer on it for some reason, and I'm pretty sure you lose health from a failed hack.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: March 14, 2016, 10:41:44 am »

Ugh easiest ever, fallout boston hacking was easiest game I had ever done, I could see through it easier that guys at a bar. Click one word, oh the 2nd letter E is correct. Its obviously this one, i was correct on the second guess 70% of the time, luck 4. They suck at minigames. A fun example would be your P.C mashing the keys with their power armor and the whatever opening. What a waste of gaming that was. Also the terminal interface options for your base traps and light crap was shit, tg for mods
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: March 14, 2016, 10:56:55 am »

The fallout lockpicking game is... okish I guess.  At least, it's better than the oblivion lockpicking mini game.  Still, in a world of infinite bobby pins, it's really just a case of having a certain skill/perk level, then a little busywork.

The hacking game doesn't even have the excuse of a pretend limited resource.  If you have the skill level/perk level to attempt the hack, you WILL succeed, sooner or later. 

To make matters worse, in fallout 4 some of the screens are those weird round ones, and on the PC version at least, the cursor doesn't match up with the words! It's like the cursor is active as if the screen is rectangular, but it's drawn as if it's on a round screen, so things don't quite line up.  On top of that, trying to read from that horrible round screen gives me a headache.  So I generally just click the top 3 and retry over and over again now.  It's about as fast as trying to 'solve' them legitimately anyway.

I really don't like mini games when there's absolutely no gameplay point to them.  Strangely enough, I kinda liked the hacking game in Deux Ex, because it did actually kind of mean something. (Although I think you could still cancel out of it to avoid any negative consequences...)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:27 pm »

I found the lockpick/hacking minigames in Fallout to be fun, but the hacking minigame does get a little old after a while.

On the other hand, the most annoying minigame I know is probably the hacking minigame from Bioshock, which wouldn't be stressful at all except they decided to put a timer on it for some reason, and I'm pretty sure you lose health from a failed hack.
Most annoying I encountered is hacking in Alpha Protocol. Not only it's a lousy eye-straining experience, the control is also terrible.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: March 14, 2016, 12:41:46 pm »

Most annoying I encountered is hacking in Alpha Protocol. Not only it's a lousy eye-straining experience, the control is also terrible.

They're also hard as balls on higher difficulties, but I'd consider that a pro rather than a con.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: March 14, 2016, 02:04:12 pm »

I don't know how hard they are on hard, but they are very clumsy. They have block moved by mouse that isn't even glued to cursor. How do you screw up this much?
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 324