Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517808 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2100 on: July 16, 2015, 01:04:02 pm »

warcraft sparked a run for MMORPG, most of those failing.

Warcraft was an RTS, with two sequels (each of which had an expansion), prior to World of Warcraft, which had the advantage of Blizzard's existing Warcraft-series fanbase. #GamingHistoryPetPeeves

Spoiler: Irrelevant tangent (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:06:06 pm by Niveras »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 16, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »

... I started WoW because I liked Warcraft. hadn't played any MMO's before, haven't bothered playing any others since I quit.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 16, 2015, 03:26:12 pm »

... I started WoW because I liked Warcraft. hadn't played any MMO's before, haven't bothered playing any others since I quit.

I look at you having said this and this post and I say:

You're weird.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Weirdo.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 16, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »

I'd rather play CoC than clash of clans, tbh.

Can I list "shitty money-milking zero fun marketing tricks bullshit mobile games" as a peeve?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:09:23 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 16, 2015, 04:29:18 pm »

I'd rather play CoC than clash of clans, tbh.

Can I list "shitty money-milking zero fun marketing tricks bullshit mobile games" as a peeve?

So all mobile games
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 17, 2015, 01:37:53 am »

More or less, yes.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 17, 2015, 03:08:06 pm »

I've gotten good mileage out of Hero Academy and Plague Inc.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: July 17, 2015, 03:12:00 pm »

There's a rare few decent ones, yeah. Sadly far outweighed by the terrible ones...
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 17, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »

Got one: Completely nonsense plotlines being acted on with total sincerity.  (Mostly in Japanese games, but elsewhere also.)  You build a realistic world (within the bounds of writing) with realistic interactions and them make the plot absolutely batshit insane and no one even questions why nothing makes sense.  There are so many examples of this that it sometimes makes me despair of ever seeing an intelligent plot.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 17, 2015, 04:43:59 pm »

Speaking of Japanese games: I used to really like Final Fantasy, but as tastes change it occurs to me that there's more that I dislike about FF than things that I enjoy.

Chaos as a villain
It literally means nothing if the villain is named Chaos in a Final Fantasy game. Nothing is chaotic. It's just meaningless symbolism. As seen in: quite a few FF games, but the only ones I know from the top of my head are 1 and 3.

Side characters are dead for all of two seconds before coming back
In FFIV, I think Cid died twice and came back each time. Yang, Palom and Porom sacrificed themselves, Rydia was presumed dead after being eaten by Leviathan (although her transformation was pretty cool), and all of them came back in time for the finale. Tellah was the only one who actually died, and even he came back as a ghost for the final battle.

No more Tactics or Tactics Advanced games
Tactics Advanced was literally the only time I can recall a Final Fantasy game having a rock-solid plot the whole way through. Even if it was cribbed from Never Ending Story, it was done very well. While the writing in Tactics A2 was less solid, it was still pretty fun. I haven't played the original Tactics, but it gets praise just about everywhere I look so I assume it's pretty good as well. TOO BAD WE AIN'T SEEING ANY MORE OF THOSE.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 17, 2015, 06:53:02 pm »

Man, I just want some Tactics-style games, period. I don't care about the story, I just want to make little guys run around on tiles and shank each other.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 18, 2015, 06:13:20 am »

Man, I just want some Tactics-style games, period. I don't care about the story, I just want to make little guys run around on tiles and shank each other.
Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, Fallout Tactics (& 1 & 2, I guess), oh and Banner Saga!

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:31 am »

Prequel that are actually just another game like the previous one

Example: Batman Arkham Origins (I know it's too easy to attack that game, but it's the best example I could find) shows events happening before Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, therefore Batman doesn't have Ice Grenades.
But, what do you find? Glue grenades! They are exactly identical, work in the same way, you could just change the name and some skins and you wouldn't see any difference (maybe that's what they did, but that's not the point).

Why? It's a PREQUEL. The whole point is showing what this character did BEFORE he had that stuff; instead, we have...

Prequel introducing stuff that would have been useful in the original game

In Arkham Origins you have so much more than in Arkham Asylum. This is just stupid. The main character looks like an idiot, because he has so many things, but doesn't care about them, despite the fact that he needs them.

People playing a prequel are prepared to see a younger, probably weaker hero,before he gained all the powers he has. Show that!
Instead, people are scared that fans will complain about "stuff that was in the old game and now is gone", so they shoehorn in everything they can.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 18, 2015, 10:51:15 am »

Chaos as a villain
It literally means nothing if the villain is named Chaos in a Final Fantasy game. Nothing is chaotic. It's just meaningless symbolism. As seen in: quite a few FF games, but the only ones I know from the top of my head are 1 and 3.

You are aware that "Chaos" and "Chaos" are kind of two separate things right?

In this case it is chaos as in destruction, death, rampage.

Chaos "is" as far as the game is concerned the embodiment of evil, and chaos is a fitting term.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 18, 2015, 12:57:41 pm »

If chaos meant evil then chaotic evil wouldn't be an alignment in D&D. QED.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 324