Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517809 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2085 on: July 13, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »

CoC
uuuuuuuuuh

On a more serious note that's not being that.

I hate when games represent some big climactic thing through a minigame. During a side quest in Mass Effect, you are trapped in a room with a nuke and have ten seconds to disarm it or flee to the exit. If you choose to disarm it and your hacking skill is high enough... you get four of the same hacking minigame you've been doing the entire game, one after the other. They even pause the timer and you can try as many times as you like, so there's no tension at all. It's not even that difficult, as far as hacking minigames go.

Or you can just rub hacking jelly all over it and it just switches off.

Hacking Jelly makes the omni-gel stuff sound stupider than it is :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 13, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »

CoC
uuuuuuuuuh
I probably would approve of some decent CoC ripoffs, actually. Ones written by someone who isn't so dismissive of large swathes of their audience. Or furry.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 13, 2015, 04:34:56 pm »

Are there really that many Call of Cthulhu clones out there?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 14, 2015, 01:09:19 am »

See above
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:16 am »

Yay. Posts of mine are being referenced :P

On an unrelated note, your avatar is from mutilate a doll, I believe, yes?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 16, 2015, 02:43:49 am »

Pen and Paper RPG ones!

When books do not illustrate their stuff

Honestly I want to see EVERY monster they write, heck I rarely see descriptions that accurately portray the picture, and honestly I want to see every item too.

For some I can accept because really... I know what a Bandit is and magical weapons can have so many shapes and appearances that anything they show would just be gloss... but still show me!

Now for books that don't have illustrations I'll forgive it.

Lack of sense of scale

Some books have this worse then others... but honestly... This is all too common. I want an idea of how things are in terms of scale

Exalted was WEIRD in this respect because it gave its scale and described it... but honestly in a world where people can basically roll SUPER SEXYNESS why would even a 5 matter?

Dungeons and dragons 3.5 had a scale all over the place. Honestly any monster could have any creature rating under the run. Giant tumbleweeds were CR 10s.

So... what about exceptional members?

This only bugs me... but one thing I KIND of liked about 4e is that it peppered stronger versions of the same monsters throughout the CRs with adequette descriptions for why they are stronger (though they lacked description)... Now 4e was kind of lazy, extremely so, in that respect...

But part of me actually really liked that.

I want to see what a unicorn that becomes a powerful bastion of light is like as a combatant. I want to see stated out Fairy Mages... and in 4e I actually saw that.

I know I can do it myself... but look it still bugs me.

SLAM on the breaks everyone! Our Cleric is out of spells

This... THIS soo much! I hate when games grind to a screeching halt because of these kinds of things. The enjoyment of the game comes from its flow and anything that just kind of puts a big cork in it just feels like the game hit a brick wall

Sorry Inuyasha, Bees and all that.

Rogues had this in 3.5 so bad where they had to often sit out entire battles because half the enemies in the game made their attacks useless.

Or where early level Wizards had to basically sit out entire fights because all their spells were allocated in "In case of emergency, kill enemy instantly" spells (I once had the misfortune to have a party who complained about this to the GM until he agreed to no longer give me EXP... And no, none of them ever played early level wizards)
-Pathfinder made this better by making Cantrips

I just flat out do not like "good half of the time" mechanics... then there is

I am soo amazing the game has to adjust to me and me alone! By the way you suck! ha ha ha

Hey Rogues... again.

So in 3.5 Rogues are so good at finding and disarming traps, it is their big gimmick, that the game's rules basically revolved around them BIG time.

This wouldn't be soo bad if people could compensate for a rogue... but the only class that could be the rogue is "The Rogue" because the game made the spot checks so ridiculously high that no one else is going to make it but another rogue.

And the rogue is so good at what they do that it often sort of makes traps pointless as well. As they sometimes just see them from miles away anyway.

Other games have this too but still...

Book developers who ignore the spirit of the games they are writing for

So Frog God games makes a lot of content for pathfinder... and the vast majority is overpowered instant death and disabling crud.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if that was the point, if they were making things that were tougher and that is why you are supposed to buy them... but if not, seriously guys...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:57:10 am by Neonivek »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 16, 2015, 03:20:24 am »

Train-Made-From-Ripoffs.
Sure if there is a lot of FPSes, but don't ever corrupt our game(store) full of near-indentical ripoffs.
I'm going to put some quote here, it's 2~3 years old through.

Ahh now this is one as old as time.

There were so many Doom Clones that someone actually made a game where all the doom clones (and doom) fought in a huge summoning arena.

When mario was out, everyone had a try at platformers, sonic saw an era of terrible animal mascots, and warcraft sparked a run for MMORPG, most of those failing.

Today it's all Candy Crush and Clash of Clans clone, like tons of them, on mobile.

What I don't like, mobile version.

Mini timers everywhere: Building an house? Wait one minute. A door? Let's wait 5 minutes will ya? Oh you want a new weapon? Come back in 10 minutes. I don't mind hours long timers, this makes me check back later in the day and keep playing in the long term, but what kind of idiot is going to pay to save like 10 minutes? If you quit, you waste time and if you stare at the screen, you waste time and you look like an idiot. I'm looking at you DUNGEON KEEPER with your times in seconds.

The almighty tutorial: You can make a tutorial to explain specific stuff or to invite the player to explore, but nothing irks me more that these 'obscure the whole screen and make the players push buttons in a sequence' type of introduction. It explains nothing.

The interrupting tutorial: At least in the previous one, when you were done you can start playing. In this one, the tutorial pop ups windows while you were in the middle of something. Nice break of focus, buddy. Oh and they cannot be closed quickly, because you really must read about what you were doing already.

Hours long asset downloads: Here's a thing about mobile games. If the package you download from your app store is over 60Mb, it will advise to use wifi. And in most countries this is a big deal. Yet it seems that some dev teams does not understand the meaning behind this and slap a 59Mb package then have the game download a gig or so of other assets. Oh and you cannot close the app to let it download in the background, otherwise that would be easy.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 16, 2015, 03:46:18 am »

Marathon-But-Not-Damaging Boss.
You'll find this incredibly more irrirating when the boss is a non-optional final boss and the boss is a cube. I mean, a boring cube.
Clogging Flavor text.
Sure if you insert something as flavor text, but don't take it up to 121. 11 is still okay, but 121 is not. Same goes to chatter.

When mario was out, everyone had a try at platformers, sonic saw an era of terrible animal mascots, and warcraft sparked a run for MMORPG, most of those failing.

Today it's all Candy Crush and Clash of Clans clone, like tons of them, on mobile.

What I don't like, mobile version.

Mini timers everywhere: Building an house? Wait one minute. A door? Let's wait 5 minutes will ya? Oh you want a new weapon? Come back in 10 minutes. I don't mind hours long timers, this makes me check back later in the day and keep playing in the long term, but what kind of idiot is going to pay to save like 10 minutes? If you quit, you waste time and if you stare at the screen, you waste time and you look like an idiot. I'm looking at you DUNGEON KEEPER with your times in seconds.
BlobBB.
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 16, 2015, 11:00:53 am »

Oh, so CoC is Clash of Clans. Well, that feel much, much better. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 16, 2015, 11:03:55 am »

It's odd that people are calling them clash of clans clones. I remember a whole bunch of games like that at least in 2007, probably earlier. To my understanding clash of clans is a lot newer for that. Same with candy crush, didn't those used to be called bejeweled clones?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 16, 2015, 11:12:44 am »

Trope Codifiers are sometimes supplanted by Trope Namers, due to higher popularity of the latter.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 16, 2015, 11:19:19 am »

I do realize that Candy Crush is inspired by Bejeweled, but i don't realize that CoC had a different game on it's own before.
Jetpack Joyride's Vehicle: Cash bird is earlier than Flappy bird. Maybe it was Wavespark, a 1-button game where you take advantage of hills to fly and accelerate.
Temple Run is probably inspired on GBA (or whatever it is platformed) game, like Hugo the troll.
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 16, 2015, 11:40:43 am »

warcraft sparked a run for MMORPG, most of those failing.

Warcraft was an RTS, with two sequels (each of which had an expansion), prior to World of Warcraft, which had the advantage of Blizzard's existing Warcraft-series fanbase. #GamingHistoryPetPeeves
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 16, 2015, 11:52:13 am »

warcraft sparked a run for MMORPG, most of those failing.

Warcraft was an RTS, with two sequels (each of which had an expansion), prior to World of Warcraft, which had the advantage of Blizzard's existing Warcraft-series fanbase. #GamingHistoryPetPeeves

Yes and mean WoW, this reminds me that after Command and Conquer we also had a bunch of RTSes of varying quality. Warcraft 2 is still great.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 16, 2015, 12:22:30 pm »

[rant]Among my many grievances with it, I think WoW can be partially blamed for the death of RTSes. Blizzard was always one of the few truly good RTS makers. Then they realized that they could make more money charging millions of suckers fifteen bucks a month and pumping out biennial expansions than spending years carefully crafting games in one of the hardest-to-get-right genres out there and selling them for a flat rate.

The only reason SC2 got made was because at some point they realized its potential for esports, and because their core fans wanted it so desperately that they could sell it as three $60 games and still sell millions. With HotS and WoW together now, I doubt there will ever be a SC3 and Warcraft 4 was never a possibility to begin with.[/rant]
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 324