Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517837 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2070 on: July 12, 2015, 10:03:28 pm »

I'm sorry, but all of your everything is full of wrong, NFO.

The ~50 MT Tsar Bomba was delivered by a bomber... and was too large (in yield) to be a practical weapon. Its original design yield was even less practical (100 MT) - and nobody ever made a 250 MT weapon.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 12, 2015, 10:50:02 pm »

There might be a glitch in cross-communication, since NFO isn't being very clear about what he's talking about.  As a random example, since we're talking ICBMs, the LGM-118 Peacekeepers, were designed to carry up to 10 reentry vehicles, each of which could carry a minimum of 300kt-yield warhead (the W87s, which could theoretically be upscaled to 475kt according to the known design specs), but this program was ended and the Peacekeepers decommissioned.  The mainstay of the American ICBM strategic arsenal, the Minuteman-III, is to be rigged to carry a single one of these same warheads, or three of the older W78s it was originally designed for; the W78s have a yield of 335-350kt each.  The Russian R-36 variants are theoretically capable of throwing 50 warheads onto a single missile, but has to common knowledge never been rigged for more than 10 with the remaining 40 dedicated to pen-aids; each of its warheads was 500 kt or 800kt.  It is also capable of launching a single warhead payload of 20 MT.  This is very likely what NFO is referring to when he refers to ICBM strikes in megaton range.  While each individual warhead is nowhere near the scale of the Tsar Bomba, a standard R-36 with a MIRV payload could put out an aggregate strike equivalent to the megatonne range, and a R-36M2 would be a fearsome vision in the milliseconds before it burns your retinas out.  This is a single weapon, but it is very much not a single warhead. 

NFO, though, you should actually try to back up your statements on your own.  Simply blankly repeating the original assertion over and over again does not help your case when the assertion is precisely what is being questioned, nor does it the use of bold or understrokes facilitate reasonable communication.  The fact that "you cannot compare a bomber-delivered weapon to an ICBM delivered weapon" (which is false; it's done all the time, albeit in more general ways) has no bearing on the theoretical capabilities you ascribe to any single strategic nuclear weapon (which, by the way, is a category that does include bomber-delivered weapons, most notably the B83 which can be used for both roles).  That said, I would love to see which weapon you're referring to that you claim has a maximum throw of 50-250 MT.  The closest I'm seeing is the R-36M2 with the pen-aids replaced by 40 more warheads, which seems to cracks a theoretical equivalent 25 MT assuming no overlap (and by this I mean that I'm talking out of my chair, so to speak), but more practically would likely just replace the lot with a single 20MT in any actual use-case scenario if that kind of weight is required.  The aformentioned Titan is the largest American model, and its TNT-equivalent has already been given by SquatchHammer; the Titan-2 seems to be over twice that, but 9MT still doesn't match up to 50. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:56:44 pm by Culise »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:27 am »

I hate when games represent some big climactic thing through a minigame. During a side quest in Mass Effect, you are trapped in a room with a nuke and have ten seconds to disarm it or flee to the exit. If you choose to disarm it and your hacking skill is high enough... you get four of the same hacking minigame you've been doing the entire game, one after the other. They even pause the timer and you can try as many times as you like, so there's no tension at all. It's not even that difficult, as far as hacking minigames go.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 13, 2015, 02:15:17 am »

What was weird to me was that the hacking minigame was different on PC and 360.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 13, 2015, 03:01:37 am »

Had to snip too long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit, I'm sorry to have participated in a derail of this magnitude, I should really learn to keep my mouth shut because the internet cares absolutely nothing for personal knowledge or inside data and cares only if you can back up what you type with a website agreeing with you.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:06:05 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:49 am »

If it's classified, it'd be illegal for you to share it anyways if you did have access to it. :V

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 13, 2015, 03:33:09 am »

Actually the core of the data is not classified, just restricted distribution, the specifics are what is classified: numbers of warheads, precise yields, deployment, etc.  So it is perfectly acceptable to reveal that 150 meg devices exist, but not anything about them beyond the fact that they are real.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 13, 2015, 04:37:10 am »

I hate when games represent some big climactic thing through a minigame. During a side quest in Mass Effect, you are trapped in a room with a nuke and have ten seconds to disarm it or flee to the exit. If you choose to disarm it and your hacking skill is high enough... you get four of the same hacking minigame you've been doing the entire game, one after the other. They even pause the timer and you can try as many times as you like, so there's no tension at all. It's not even that difficult, as far as hacking minigames go.

Or you can just rub hacking jelly all over it and it just switches off.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 13, 2015, 06:36:50 am »

Train-Made-From-Ripoffs.
Sure if there is a lot of FPSes, but don't ever corrupt our game(store) full of near-indentical ripoffs.
I'm going to put some quote here, it's 2~3 years old through.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 13, 2015, 06:38:37 am »

Train-Made-From-Ripoffs.
Sure if there is a lot of FPSes, but don't ever corrupt our game(store) full of near-indentical ripoffs.
I'm going to put some quote here, it's 2~3 years old through.

Ahh now this is one as old as time.

There were so many Doom Clones that someone actually made a game where all the doom clones (and doom) fought in a huge summoning arena.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 13, 2015, 06:54:51 am »

There were so many Doom Clones that someone actually made a game where all the doom clones (and doom) fought in a huge summoning arena.
CoC and Bejeweled now suffered the same fate too. Minus the arena
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:56:29 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 13, 2015, 12:41:55 pm »

^^This.

For me, the item thing was the objective reason why I never got into LoL (subjectively, I'm just not into competitive games). Look at this sprawling item menu:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have to view this, in real time, in a competitive game where you can't waste any time checking effects? At least the categories are intuitive for someone who's played tons of RPGs before. Except for Tenacity. What the hell is Tenacity?

For someone who's put hours and hours in, and read threads on builds for characters in advance, it hardly matters. But I'm sure someone might agree that this is terrible for beginners who play the tutorial, see the big fat item menus, realize they'd be at a disadvantage unless they troll a wiki and a forum for a few hours, and decide they really don't feel like doing that.
This actually puts me off of many games, even single player games. I can't stand the feeling that I'm not playing optimally and will get stuck later on in, say, NWN.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 13, 2015, 01:50:55 pm »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 13, 2015, 02:06:24 pm »

Clash... of... Clones?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 13, 2015, 02:09:10 pm »

Cats on Catnip?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 324