Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517836 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2040 on: July 04, 2015, 03:32:58 am »

And frankly playing enough Heroes of the Storm has kind of taught me how terrible the whole item game is. It is just another hoop a new player needs to jump through in order to have fun.
Having played DotA2 and LoL then Heroes of the Storm, I felt thant the item game was lacking because it let you specialize your hero in a way Heroes of the Storm doesn't really.
And yeah, even if there are not that many "viable" builds for each hero, you can say the same thing with the talents in Heroes of the Storm.

The whole item game in the metagame just, in the end, hovered between mind games. Without it, it means that playing the game well relies a lot more on you being able to play your character better.

Not mastering a thousand other little mechanics.

Heroes of the Storm gets straight down to the point of the game... the game.

Think of it this way... who doesn't League of Legends let you create presets for every character? Why doesn't it SUPPORT its own game mechanic?

Heck why not have a list of what the opponents have bought right there on the item selection?

If Items are such a great part of the game... then why don't the games support it?

and why do MOBAs block off absolutely vital aspects of gameplay?

Heroes of the Storm isn't perfect by any stretch... but I think it has made more strives to improve MOBAs then all Mobas combined and multiplied by 1000. While all Mobas want to be DOTA... Heroes of the Storm actually attempts to have an identity.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:46:35 am by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2041 on: July 04, 2015, 03:47:35 am »

^^This.

For me, the item thing was the objective reason why I never got into LoL (subjectively, I'm just not into competitive games). Look at this sprawling item menu:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have to view this, in real time, in a competitive game where you can't waste any time checking effects? At least the categories are intuitive for someone who's played tons of RPGs before. Except for Tenacity. What the hell is Tenacity?

For someone who's put hours and hours in, and read threads on builds for characters in advance, it hardly matters. But I'm sure someone might agree that this is terrible for beginners who play the tutorial, see the big fat item menus, realize they'd be at a disadvantage unless they troll a wiki and a forum for a few hours, and decide they really don't feel like doing that.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: July 04, 2015, 03:55:23 am »

Any game with an extensive item/customisation system is like that as well, though. In Singleplayer games it doesn't really matter, but it's still there.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: July 04, 2015, 03:56:44 am »

That's an unfair representation; the default tab is "Recommended", which actually gives you a pretty good jumping-off point in most regards, including decent choices for early-game items like potions and wards.

It's really not as difficult as it looks. In the early levels, pick something from each category on the "Recommended" tab and hope that your opponent is doing the same; later on when you're going against more experienced players, you're probably already invested enough in the game to either look at a wiki or come up with your own build order. It even shows you the prereq items with big colorful icons, so you can start working towards the more expensive items earlier in the game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: July 04, 2015, 04:10:03 am »

That's an unfair representation; the default tab is "Recommended", which actually gives you a pretty good jumping-off point in most regards, including decent choices for early-game items like potions and wards.

You will be laughed out of the room if you take their recommendations which are often DREADFUL!

All "pros" agree that the recommended builds are a total joke.

Actually can you even look at the inventory list... In the game... outside of an actual game or practice game?

Mind you League of Legends will always be on my dumb list for gating "Flash" the absolute most vital skill in the entire game... and you can't even access it until you played it extensively. One of the most vital spells you need to learn and the game doesn't let new players learn how to use it for a long time.

You know how long it takes for me to access all the vital skills of any new hero in Heroes of the Storm? 3 MAYBE 5 games tops... and later on you unlock all those skills permanently.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:14:16 am by Neonivek »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: July 04, 2015, 04:31:56 am »

Quote from: Neon
Actually can you even look at the inventory list... In the game... outside of an actual game or practice game?

Yes.

Quote from: Neon
Mind you League of Legends will always be on my dumb list for gating "Flash" the absolute most vital skill in the entire game... and you can't even access it until you played it extensively. One of the most vital spells you need to learn and the game doesn't let new players learn how to use it for a long time.

"Extensively" is a bit of hyperbole. League's progression system is bullshit, yes, I agree, but the issue is with runes/champions and to a lesser extent masteries, not the time at which you unlock flash (which is only level 12, iirc. At least, it was like that 2-3 years ago for me.)

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: July 04, 2015, 02:10:32 pm »

While we are on the topic of MOBAs...I really love the gameplay of MOBAs, but I can't stand the people. Like...why are you even playing a game if you are going to be an absolute horrible person the second anyone makes a single mistake? (Or in some cases, right off the bat.) It's gotten to the point where I just mute everyone every match or only play with friends.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:28 pm »

While we are on the topic of MOBAs...I really love the gameplay of MOBAs, but I can't stand the people. Like...why are you even playing a game if you are going to be an absolute horrible person the second anyone makes a single mistake? (Or in some cases, right off the bat.) It's gotten to the point where I just mute everyone every match or only play with friends.

Ohh yeah. It makes you want to quit playing the game as a new player pretty much immediately.

I already make a vow NEVER to use a guide for any game because it sucks the fun and joy out of it.

League of Legends is probably the worst for this.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: July 04, 2015, 02:41:59 pm »

Most of the people I've played with on League were nice enough. There were a few assholes, but no more than you see in any other online game.

But besides that, League definitely is the best with friends. You actually work together and have an interest in helping eachother then.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:39 am »

I don't like games where you have to make a lot of inventory management decisions. If I wanted to do that I'd clean my bedroom.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:10:30 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: July 11, 2015, 02:39:43 am »

The best advice I've ever heard about learning MOBAs is, if you ever think anyone is being mean spirited (as opposed to constructive criticism) mute them instantly.  Nine times out of ten you'll learn nothing from the asshole on the team and you'll be much happier ignoring them.

While we're on this topic... smurfs in LoL.  Its one thing that many of the "beginner" players in LoL are just alt accounts for experienced players.  It is quite another that many of them feel superior about it.  Like... you're cheating the system so that you can play with people worse than you, and then you get angry when your teammates are playing at a low skill level.  WTF?  A lot of them will proudly reveal that they're a smurf and then start ordering everyone around.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: July 11, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

I don't like games that feature "nuclear" devices with blast radiuses smaller than that of the average grenade (ie. Fallout: Lonesome Road, Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando, etc.). The only game I've seen that avoids this is Postal 2 where the tactical nuke launcher takes out about a third of an average sized map
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: July 11, 2015, 02:11:41 pm »

I don't like games that feature "nuclear" devices with blast radiuses smaller than that of the average grenade (ie. Fallout: Lonesome Road, Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando, etc.). The only game I've seen that avoids this is Postal 2 where the tactical nuke launcher takes out about a third of an average sized map

Well there is Supreme Commander where nukes are... well... nukes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: July 11, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »

I don't like games where you have to make a lot of inventory management decisions. If I wanted to do that I'd clean my bedroom.

This is why I get tired of RPGs sometimes. In Mass Effect, I hit the item limit just about every time I step outside the Normandy, and I'm still finding the odd upgrade here and there that I got at the very beginning of the game. You have to trash each item individually, too, which takes a loooooong time.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:48 pm »

Thankfully, they did away with the inventory and the millions of item variations in Mass Effect 2. (It was especially annoying in ME1 since there was one of each kind of thing which was clearly the best, making everything else trash)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 324