Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517874 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #2025 on: June 28, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »

All I can think of is the StarCraft's Terran adjutant. No body = no tits, problem solved.
The adjutants you see in-game, yes, but in WoL's campaign one can observe that adjutants apparently do have mecha-breasts that are just cut off by the "camera" in the normal portrait image. Why? Because horny dudes, that's why.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: June 28, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »

I have no memory of that part, but I'll take your word for it. Granted, I didn't like SCII much anyway so that probably had something to do with it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:06 pm »

Personally, I've never played any post-Westwood C&C or Red Alert, or Starcraft II, and I don't remember anything like that in Starcraft 1 or any of the Warcraft RTSes. Of course, Tanya was in Red Alert 2, and, judging by the image search results, still in 3 but with a different actress and hair color for some reason. vOv
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 28, 2015, 09:39:59 pm »

Personally, I've never played any post-Westwood C&C or Red Alert, or Starcraft II, and I don't remember anything like that in Starcraft 1 or any of the Warcraft RTSes. Of course, Tanya was in Red Alert 2, and, judging by the image search results, still in 3 but with a different actress and hair color for some reason. vOv

She was quite possibly to told at that point, too expensive, not acting, pregnant, or what have you. Frankly I am surprised they kept Kane's actor.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: June 28, 2015, 11:14:00 pm »

Ehh some people just have large boobs.

The real measure is how the camera and physics handle this character.

If someone has large boobs but is otherwise treated like... they are just boobs and not "HOLY COW BOOBS!" then I find it acceptable so long as it isn't an epidemic of large boobieness.

Mind you a mother goddess having large boobs... is rather... mythologically correct. I do find it interesting that some of the depictions of goddesses would probably be considered "too much" today... Then I am also reminded of Frigyr one of the only male gods of fertility who is usually depicted naked with a large...

Is that the same as Freyr?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: June 29, 2015, 11:33:46 pm »

Whoops I mean Freyr

The Bait and Switch

Seriously games have been pulling the bait and switch on the player so much that it would be a shorter list of the games that actually does give you the big reward the game has been talking about.

And no I don't count some sort of paltry reward as a replacement. If it is a vault full of gold it should be full of gold. If it is an ultimate weapon it should be some ultimate weapon.

It has gotten to the point where I just ask people before playing games if I can actually get this reward the game is hyping up... usually to the answer of "Kind of" and "No"

and just as bad are games where you can get that reward... after it means anything.

Well our game is easy so we will make you jump through hoops

So... Croma Squad is easy... It is an incredibly easy game (that I should have done a letsplay on here... but give me a break my depression doesn't give me time to play bad games)... So easy in fact that in order to have one iota of difficulty every single map comes with a series of challenges you need to complete in order to do so. Really boring challenges.

I HATE IT when games know how broken, poor, or boring their gameplay is and try to cover it up by making you do something superfluous on top of everything to rack up the difficulty.

Don't get me wrong I can accept it if the difficulty stems naturally from the game environment in a game that is already good. Yet these games are either holding up their terrible gameplay entirely this way or are just executing it completely randomly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:37:02 pm by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:04 am »

Well our game is easy so we will make you jump through hoops

So... Croma Squad is easy... It is an incredibly easy game (that I should have done a letsplay on here... but give me a break my depression doesn't give me time to play bad games)... So easy in fact that in order to have one iota of difficulty every single map comes with a series of challenges you need to complete in order to do so. Really boring challenges.

I HATE IT when games know how broken, poor, or boring their gameplay is and try to cover it up by making you do something superfluous on top of everything to rack up the difficulty.

Don't get me wrong I can accept it if the difficulty stems naturally from the game environment in a game that is already good. Yet these games are either holding up their terrible gameplay entirely this way or are just executing it completely randomly.

That also sounds a lot like the Dead Money DLC for Fallout: New Vegas
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 03, 2015, 05:10:42 pm »

Multiplayer games that should explain something in bright letters on the title screen

Things like "use the mousewheel instead of right clicking" in Chivalry or "don't go spy if there's another spy on your teamn" in TF2.  Or just "look up a beginners guide before you play this" on every MOBA ever.  Common knowledge that large swathes of beginner players don't know, which makes them very frustrating to deal with.

Not saying its bad game design, but BOY is it annoying.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 03, 2015, 05:12:34 pm »

Multiplayer games that should explain something in bright letters on the title screen

Things like "use the mousewheel instead of right clicking" in Chivalry or "don't go spy if there's another spy on your teamn" in TF2.  Or just "look up a beginners guide before you play this" on every MOBA ever.  Common knowledge that large swathes of beginner players don't know, which makes them very frustrating to deal with.

Not saying its bad game design, but BOY is it annoying.

Actually why don't we just put MOBA on here

Honestly... MOBA might as well be a Pet Peeve with the amount of issues.

Right there. You have to read a GUIDE just to play. Not the instruction manual... a guide

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 03, 2015, 08:28:19 pm »

Or rather, the default option should be AI control over almost every MOBA hero function (like creeping, buying items, shitposting in chat...) with human being able to overwrite AI's decisions, and with an option to turn various parts off.

Like, for instance if a person is not into figuring out the itemization, it would be nice if there was a way to keep that on AI control.
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 03, 2015, 08:30:59 pm »

That seems... Unlikely.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 03, 2015, 10:47:03 pm »

Like, for instance if a person is not into figuring out the itemization, it would be nice if there was a way to keep that on AI control.

Smite had something like that.  You could have it set up to auto-buy items for you when they become available in a specific order.  You still had to give it a build to buy in the first place, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of default 'recommended' build.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 03, 2015, 11:38:30 pm »

Smite had something like that.  You could have it set up to auto-buy items for you when they become available in a specific order.  You still had to give it a build to buy in the first place, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of default 'recommended' build.

Smite could do that though because the items weren't too "Special" all things considered.

And frankly playing enough Heroes of the Storm has kind of taught me how terrible the whole item game is. It is just another hoop a new player needs to jump through in order to have fun.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 04, 2015, 01:44:27 am »

Or rather, the default option should be AI control over almost every MOBA hero function (like creeping, buying items, shitposting in chat...) with human being able to overwrite AI's decisions, and with an option to turn various parts off.

I think a shitposting AI would be the easiest way to pass the Turing Test.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 04, 2015, 02:58:07 am »

And frankly playing enough Heroes of the Storm has kind of taught me how terrible the whole item game is. It is just another hoop a new player needs to jump through in order to have fun.
Having played DotA2 and LoL then Heroes of the Storm, I felt thant the item game was lacking because it let you specialize your hero in a way Heroes of the Storm doesn't really.
And yeah, even if there are not that many "viable" builds for each hero, you can say the same thing with the talents in Heroes of the Storm.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 324