Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517596 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1755 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:01 pm »

There's also a bit of an issue with some games, thinking of Skyrim here, where the game does actually have an option to yield to your opponents but either it's difficult to pull off or the A.I doesn't consistently respect the gesture of blocking and activating. It's like how the A.I in Skyrim will flee when it is low on health, go and cower behind a rock for about 10 seconds, then come running back to continue attacking.

Is that part of Skyrim? I couldn't remember if that was in it or Oblivion. I've tried the whole yielding in combat as I remember it working, and it doesn't. Or was it in the Fallout games....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 03, 2015, 11:15:18 pm »

There's also a bit of an issue with some games, thinking of Skyrim here, where the game does actually have an option to yield to your opponents but either it's difficult to pull off or the A.I doesn't consistently respect the gesture of blocking and activating. It's like how the A.I in Skyrim will flee when it is low on health, go and cower behind a rock for about 10 seconds, then come running back to continue attacking.

Is that part of Skyrim? I couldn't remember if that was in it or Oblivion. I've tried the whole yielding in combat as I remember it working, and it doesn't. Or was it in the Fallout games....

Apparently it is still in Skyrim but it changed from holding block and activating to simply sheathing your weapon. Then it depends on whether the A.I is a guard or an NPC with low enough aggression.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: March 03, 2015, 11:31:55 pm »

My rule has always been thus: motherfucker draws on me, motherfucker is sleeping in the dirt.

Ehhhhh, if you go into a "bandit camp" or some other dangerous place armed to the teeth, with full knowledge that they will attack you and thus full knowledge that you will have to defend yourself to the death, I can't see it as self defence. Your basically using the concept of self-defence maliciously to kill these people.

Of course, this is often just because games aren't very flexible. So sometimes you have to go through that camp and kill everyone to finish the game. Or enemies in the game cannot yield or otherwise act like actual human beings with some sense self preservation etc. So it's difficult to blame the player when its more often the game's fault.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:11 am »

Yeah, I gave up with their trigger system and made my own. Actually, I just made my own state machine animation system after realising that Mecanim has too many limitations, and was fiddly to keep in sync with my character's behavioural state machine. It's also easier to mix in custom procedural animations, since Mecanim has IK only for arms and legs, (and even then it only works for human rigs >:().

Mecanim's not that good IMO :-\
That sounds pretty great.

Keep in mind price wise, you have to buy a licence for each person working on a project.

It's nice that all the features are available to free users now though.

Also a good point.

'Course I suppose if we want to talk about Unity we should probably have a Unity thread somewhere. (I don't really read the other forums)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 04, 2015, 10:46:01 am »

Which in Skyrim etc... usually means I quicksave before I boldly walk right into the middle of something. I give most people a chance not to murder me. So, ethically, I have a pretty safe system. And when you look at it like that, half of the world IS made up of BAD people.
The thing is in Skyrim it's very easy to avoid killing people. Most of the time you're strolling into people's bases/lairs when they turn on you. Don't lie to yourself: in a setting with fear and calm spells, you can always choose not to slaughter bandits.

Maybe if game AIs would fight to wound you or scare you off or some shit, or if you had ways to interact with people in combat and be like "hey, put your fucking weapon down!", things wouldn't be so black and white.
Yeah, I wish you could force people to yield in games.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: March 04, 2015, 11:48:28 am »

I said I like to give people the chance to not murder me. I never said I was a pacifist :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: March 04, 2015, 11:54:48 am »

in a setting with fear and calm spells, you can always choose not to slaughter bandits.

Scaling

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 04, 2015, 11:58:36 am »

Which in Skyrim etc... usually means I quicksave before I boldly walk right into the middle of something. I give most people a chance not to murder me. So, ethically, I have a pretty safe system. And when you look at it like that, half of the world IS made up of BAD people.
The thing is in Skyrim it's very easy to avoid killing people. Most of the time you're strolling into people's bases/lairs when they turn on you. Don't lie to yourself: in a setting with fear and calm spells, you can always choose not to slaughter bandits.

I used calm, "hid" behind enemies while they ignored me, picked their pockets, and then assassinated them. MASSIVE SKILL GAINS.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 04, 2015, 12:09:43 pm »

I used calm, "hid" behind enemies while they ignored me, picked their pockets, and then assassinated them. MASSIVE SKILL GAINS.

Makes my usual method of finding the biggest two handed sword I can, charge straight in and loping off heads seem rather mundane. Berserk is great fun when enemies prove to be rather stubborn.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 04, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »

in a setting with fear and calm spells, you can always choose not to slaughter bandits.

Scaling
Nah, I play 100% no kills in Skyrim, your spell power scales with the enemies.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 04, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »

Speaking of scaling, is there a mod to remove it from Skyrim or at least limit it? The first time I played the game I didn't really notice it but now it really annoys me and I can sort of sympathize with the Morrowind supremacists.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »

Speaking of scaling, is there a mod to remove it from Skyrim or at least limit it? The first time I played the game I didn't really notice it but now it really annoys me and I can sort of sympathize with the Morrowind supremacists.

There's mods, but I believe any mod that does it will affect the leveled lists, which tend to interfere with a lot of other mods that screw with equipment drops and monsters.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:07 pm »

Spoiler: more jRPG stuff (click to show/hide)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 04, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »

Aren't a lot of things you're talking about very applicable to video games, no, the entirety of entertainment focused media (excluding possibly books), in general?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 04, 2015, 08:02:59 pm »

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I hate QTE final bosses. I really hate it. I want to fight them with my skills, not with my ability to press a button. It really pisses me off when a game does something like that.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 324