Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517611 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1740 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:14 am »

I just checked. It turns out the default directional light is actually yellow...

I have seen some amazing things done with the new lighting system, I just suspect it has been set up, whether technically or artistically, poorly in some games. I suspect artistically, as other games with similar systems (Medieval Engineers is not done in Unity, for example) have a similar look. Well, at least it looks artistically bad to me :-\.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:01 am »

If I had to guess why grey is blue a lot of the time.

It is likely because of the color spectrum.

Then again I am also the person who thinks that Brown is part of the Red Family...

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:50 am »

O.o Brown isn't part of the Red family ?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 03, 2015, 11:27:22 am »

The entire site? You took down the entire site? Including the downloads, all the documentation, the forums, and the unity answers? Incredible. :o
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 03, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

Makes you want to watch now, doesn't it?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 03, 2015, 12:54:26 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1746 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:26 pm »

It's never clear if enemy soldiers are dead or wounded when their HP hits zero. It's explicit that YOUR soldiers are never dead when their HP hits zero regardless of how it happens, only if an enemy reaches their downed body and performs a coup de grace are they permadead.
Nope. VC2 makes it clear with enemy soldiers throwing screams of despair at seeing their comrades die. You really are controlling a group of monsters.
* GUNINANRUNIN has never played VC2.

I can say for sure nothing like that happens in VC1.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »

P.S. Unity put their site back up 5 or 10 minutes after my post, but then it was overloaded because they put it back up to release Unity 5. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 03, 2015, 03:08:18 pm »

I hope they fixed some Mecanim weirdness. I've never quite been able to get animation triggers to work properly; usually they either trigger twice, or slightly off-cue, or they play half of the animation before immediately snapping back to the previous state. Also it'd be nice to have animation events be in the Animator panel rather than import settings, but there's probably a good technical reason for that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 03, 2015, 04:02:47 pm »

Everybody can forget about Unity, Unreal Engine 4 is now free!
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 03, 2015, 04:57:17 pm »

I take it you overlooked the 5% royalty, which, at $100,000 in revenue (the point at which purchasing unity pro becomes mandatory) adds up to $5000, and continues to cost you as you make further revenue because it's a royalty.

Edit: For comparison unity pro is $1500, and if you're making Android or iOS games you'd need to buy the Android and/or iOS plugins too, which are another $1500 each, a total of $4500, once, not per game, and that would be all you would have to pay unless/until you wanted to upgrade to unity 6 in a couple years (assuming they maintain the same release rate).

They've also made all the engine features available in the free version of unity now, which is especially nice.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:07:35 pm by Shadowlord »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 03, 2015, 09:09:31 pm »

Spoiler: JRPG stuff (click to show/hide)

I hope they fixed some Mecanim weirdness. I've never quite been able to get animation triggers to work properly; usually they either trigger twice, or slightly off-cue, or they play half of the animation before immediately snapping back to the previous state. Also it'd be nice to have animation events be in the Animator panel rather than import settings, but there's probably a good technical reason for that.

Yeah, I gave up with their trigger system and made my own. Actually, I just made my own state machine animation system after realising that Mecanim has too many limitations, and was fiddly to keep in sync with my character's behavioural state machine. It's also easier to mix in custom procedural animations, since Mecanim has IK only for arms and legs, (and even then it only works for human rigs >:().

Mecanim's not that good IMO :-\

Keep in mind price wise, you have to buy a licence for each person working on a project.

It's nice that all the features are available to free users now though.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 03, 2015, 09:29:43 pm »

The whole 'characters not caring too much about death' is pretty pervasive to the entire gaming, movie, and to a lesser extent book industry anyway. I fail to see why you're using it as a point against JRPGs in particular, and honestly I'm glad that all these things are written 'badly' because the alternative is incredibly homogenized and incredibly boring.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 03, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »

My rule has always been thus: motherfucker draws on me, motherfucker is sleeping in the dirt.

Which in Skyrim etc... usually means I quicksave before I boldly walk right into the middle of something. I give most people a chance not to murder me. So, ethically, I have a pretty safe system. And when you look at it like that, half of the world IS made up of BAD people.

I find the logic that they'll kill you if you don't kill them pretty inescapable. (In video games. In life things are a lot grayer.) Maybe if game AIs would fight to wound you or scare you off or some shit, or if you had ways to interact with people in combat and be like "hey, put your fucking weapon down!", things wouldn't be so black and white. But pretty much all moments like that are scripted, and obviously so. So most of the time the player doesn't have to think that hard about whether or not to kill something. The developers make that distinction for them through gameplay.

Which is why I like games where you can kill anyone. People can do all sorts of stuff to you in RPGs, without actually trying to kill you. It's just they'll usually try. When a guy steals from you and you catch up to him, does he just try to give your stuff back? No, he pulls a weapon and you fight. When you stumble into a bandit camp, do they stop and see if you just want to give up your money? Not usually, unless it's scripted. About the only time I feel bad in situations like that is in Skyrim, where you sometimes come up on bandits at camps and they won't attack you, but they're clearly ready to and say as much. In those instances, yeah, I'll take it, I murder the shit out of them. More because of my expectations of the game and understanding of the mechanics doesn't give me any reason not to.

I actually just did a quest in Skyrim that kind of challenged my morality.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:35:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:25 pm »

There's also a bit of an issue with some games, thinking of Skyrim here, where the game does actually have an option to yield to your opponents but either it's difficult to pull off or the A.I doesn't consistently respect the gesture of blocking and activating. It's like how the A.I in Skyrim will flee when it is low on health, go and cower behind a rock for about 10 seconds, then come running back to continue attacking.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 324