Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 517618 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #1770 on: March 04, 2015, 08:08:26 pm »

Acting like an uppity child despite engaging in extreme violence is pretty terrible writing in my opinion

Trust me when anime does the opposite of this, it is even worse ("I killed someone... I must instantly go insane!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!")

Moments of brevity isn't unusual even in the harshest of war. Humor is a virtue after all.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I hate QTE final bosses. I really hate it. I want to fight them with my skills, not with my ability to press a button. It really pisses me off when a game does something like that.

QTE Bosses... Mind you Dark Cloud had them... but it also had normal bosses and QTE bosses were just "in addition to".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1771 on: March 04, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »

* GUNINANRUNIN has never played VC2.

I can say for sure nothing like that happens in VC1.
Ok. So, ignoring what VC2 implies, you assume that when their bodies disappear (much like your own soldiers after getting coup de grace'd) after getting shot with bullets,

they're just knocked out despite being nobodies to the story (which, unlike Advance Wars, is trying to be serious in its tone). That's pretty wishful thinking, I'd say.
Their bodies only disappear when you coup de grace them by walking over them, just like they can do to your men, though it obviously doesn't make any difference for them since you as the player aren't facing a persistent enemy unit. If their bodies behave the same way then I have no reason to assume something different happens to the enemy soldiers when their HP hits zero.

Except they are nobodies, all of them, admittedly voiced and named with flavor backstories for each, but the only persistent infantry who are important to the story are Rosie, Largo and Alicia. Everyone else can safely die and the story changes not one bit. None of them ever appear in cutscenes or interact with the main characters.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:04 pm »

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I hate QTE final bosses. I really hate it. I want to fight them with my skills, not with my ability to press a button. It really pisses me off when a game does something like that.
The only QTE final boss I ever enjoyed fighting was whoever it was at the end of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine.  Mainly because the final fight is still pretty challenging, and the QTE scene is incredibly brutal and satisfying.  Might have been nice to face him one on one, but the fight could have also ended up being really annoying. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 04, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »

The only QTE final boss I ever enjoyed fighting was whoever it was at the end of Warhammer 40k: Space Marine.  Mainly because the final fight is still pretty challenging, and the QTE scene is incredibly brutal and satisfying.  Might have been nice to face him one on one, but the fight could have also ended up being really annoying.

Uh, Nemeroth I think. Old pipe-up-his-nose. That fight was enjoyable and yes, the quick time event wasn't terribly annoying because there was a good free fight beforehand.

I understand that they use quick time events so they can have close up action sequences without the player just sitting there watching. I'm not sure if you can lose that event. Probably as I think you take damage from Nemeroth's punches.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 05, 2015, 01:17:13 am »

Spoiler: Yay JPRG's! (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 05, 2015, 01:28:26 am »

Quote from: alexandertnt
Good point, enemies are being dehumanised, and our protagonist is the good guy for killing these sub-humans. Doesn't sound like a character I can relate too.

Star Wars, anyone?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 05, 2015, 01:46:34 am »

Having that at the end of Space Marine did feel a bit like a slap to the face. Admittedly the game seemed to be designed as a 1 vs horde brawler. Fitting an enjoyable 1v1 boss fight against another super duper space bro might have been difficult. I still can't say I was happy with the solution.

Far Cry 3 was pretty bad about those as well, IIRC it doesn't technically have a final boss to seal the gameplay, but there's a few bosses and most get finished with QTE's. Ugh. At least the game in between those is fun enough.

Thinking back on Space Marine, maybe they could have just made the final boss a really big space marine and have you fight him, possibly while weaker enemies swarmed all around as well. Kill some guys to build up your combo/power/whatever meter and then dish out massive damage at the boss. Maybe throw a few curveballs there mid-fight to keep it dangerous.
I mean Dark Souls didn't force you into a QTE during/instead/after boss fights, and I don't think anyone can say it would have been better if it did.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 05, 2015, 03:18:42 am »

I've reinstalled both Zeus, Master of Olympus and Emperor: Rise of the middle kingdom the other day. I can barely get away from the two now, it's ridicolous.

It didnt take long for me to get into the mood of playing city builders again. So in between Emperor and Zeus, I loaded Sim City 5 from Origin in the background. I think I deinstalled it after like 2 hours. After just having played Z & E, and remembering how simple but fantastic there are, all the little things that pissed me off about the new Sim City felt a lot worse.

The way too small city areas, where almost every city looks the same or at least similiar, if you want to keep an efficient traffic design.

The stupid AI, where a criminal can run absolutely rampant across the city, while actually living RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE POLICE STATION.

The factor of density either being totally whack, or at least not very well explained. "Not enough room to expand" is a persistent problem, even when I design the roads following that road designer tool (the one that paints white lines), even tough the game says that the helper plans in exactly enough room for all bildings to grow.

And lots more.

All in all, those little things just add up into one big bad experience. In both Zeus and Emperor, I can plan. I know the mechanics, I know what the houses need to grow, when they will grow and I can estimate a time when the growth will happen. Fires and criminals are manageable and can be countered effectively. And not to mention the simple UI design.

It really sucks that city builders from over 10 years ago utterly wreck most modern installments. I really wish there was a spiritual successor, isntead to the modern garbage that changes everything for the worse.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 05, 2015, 04:28:53 am »

Quote from: alexandertnt
Good point, enemies are being dehumanised, and our protagonist is the good guy for killing these sub-humans. Doesn't sound like a character I can relate too.

Star Wars, anyone?

Star Wars is a good example because the main character remains quite sane,  while murdering hundreds of soldiers. He is quite indifferent about them, storm troopers are pretty much THE mooks. Its hardly grim too. I am, however, willing to overlook this. I am willing to overlook the deaths of those bandits too, but for similar reasons, I am willing to overlook the deaths of those 100 soldiers as well.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:23 am »

A well written character is one that's believable, one that takes all the things that make up a person's personality into account. Ommitting parts is lazy and creates blatantly unrealistic archetypes like the cheery cutesy high schooler war criminals.
Media omits parts all the time, you fill in the rest yourself. For example, without knowing anything about this character who kills soldiers, you assume with no other information, they are a war criminal. If that character is a soldier themselves, they are not, by most definitions, a war criminal.
Ho, yez! But...
Want a laugh? There actually is a webcomic where the main protagonist (and the appropriately dysfunctional team) starts as a classic "murderhobo" (© /tg/). And then rapid degradation beyond this level is shown on screen and down to it sketched in flashbacks. Amazing stuff, really.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And guess what? It collected more than one fan ready to all-caps how "our Mrs. Fanservice is always right, and she knows what she's doing because surely they summoned an invisible pink unicorn off-screen, who told them everything" (well... almost literally) - even when this directly contradicts what was explicitly shown on-screen.
So... let's not dump all the blame on the retarded or somehow constrained media. There's not only supply, but also noticeable demand for this.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:44:38 am by TBeholder »
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 05, 2015, 04:55:18 am »

Oh, and to the Bioware Discussion froma  few pages ago.

It's not just morrigan and sten whining at a good character. This is the case with basically any party where the character does not align with the two sidekicks you take along. Alistair whined at me the entire time troughout the game if I deviated even SLIGHTLY from the goody two-shoes path.

I like most Bioware games and Dragon Age Origins / Mass Effect 3 are still two of my favorite games ever. But I was sorely dissapointed in how hamhanded that whole "Paragon / Renegade"-shtick was. On paper, you could actually design a pretty nifty system, where it isnt allways clear what is the right or wrong thing to do. Paragon might be the guy that will try to save everyone everywhere, regardless if it might cost victory or not. Renegade the guy who's prepared to sacrifice a few thousand people, as long as Reaper ass get's kicked. There is a lot you could do with this, with both Shepards basically being the good guys, albeit with different approaches.

Instead, it's the tired "Satan vs Jesus"-Cliche, only slightly more competently handled than the Fable series.

On the subject of Fable, has anyone played Fable 3? Fable has been my guilty pleasure for years. The whole alignment stuff was gimmicky and poorly handed from the start. But the story was sort of interesting and it was one of the few games where I could play a total dick for once.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 05, 2015, 05:03:58 am »

For many game types where you are supposed to be your character (half life, elder scrolls etc), it would be necessary design to leave certain things like this undefined to let the player project their own selves into the character. For other characters that are supposed to be fully defined, it is still one of the best ways to make a character relatable - let the observer project their own ideals onto them. If you can pull this off without the observer realising it, then its extremely effective.

Nothing wrong with doing this at all, its a totally legit tool, but it does make finding objective facts harder.

You eat your own head

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 05, 2015, 05:11:52 am »

This is the case with basically any party where the character does not align with the two sidekicks you take along. Alistair whined at me the entire time troughout the game if I deviated even SLIGHTLY from the goody two-shoes path.

I like most Bioware games and Dragon Age Origins / Mass Effect 3 are still two of my favorite games ever. But I was sorely dissapointed in how hamhanded that whole "Paragon / Renegade"-shtick was. On paper, you could actually design a pretty nifty system, where it isnt allways clear what is the right or wrong thing to do. Paragon might be the guy that will try to save everyone everywhere, regardless if it might cost victory or not. Renegade the guy who's prepared to sacrifice a few thousand people, as long as Reaper ass get's kicked. There is a lot you could do with this, with both Shepards basically being the good guys, albeit with different approaches.

Instead, it's the tired "Satan vs Jesus"-Cliche, only slightly more competently handled than the Fable series.
Also, often staying anywhere between the poles gives nothing, and the only way to do so is to take turns saving and burning kittens.
Yeah, but did you see how many water bottles she gave to that hobo?
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:03 am »

Eh, Paragade and Renegon were things that existed, but there was no reason at all to go Renegade other than to be a prick. You actually cut out the best parts of the story by going renegade, with nothing interesting to replace them with at all.

Re: Fable 3 - And the grand moral choice is completely irrelevant after you spend an hour playing guitar hero or making pies. Then you can be the good guy and everyone lives and there's no problems with anything. yay.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:12 am »

Eh, Paragade and Renegon were things that existed, but there was no reason at all to go Renegade other than to be a prick. You actually cut out the best parts of the story by going renegade, with nothing interesting to replace them with at all.

Re: Fable 3 - And the grand moral choice is completely irrelevant after you spend an hour playing guitar hero or making pies. Then you can be the good guy and everyone lives and there's no problems with anything. yay.

I was way too lazy for that. I just let all those NPC's die, they were just annoying anyway.

I think the only reason to go Renegade was for some of the more hilarious scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fw5MHB1SN4

"You BIG. STUPID. JELLYFISH."
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 324