Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 518613 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #390 on: June 25, 2013, 12:29:20 am »

Current pet peeve: Sequels.

Definitely. I had to sound like one of those guys, but I remember the days when a sequel was something new and exciting. The entire command and conquer series (under westwood, obviously) was always new. As soon as EA took over, we had three games with almost exactly the same design model released one after the other.

It's only started bothering be recently. After the release of CoD: Black ops (what are we up to now, 16?) I realised that they were recycling content. I legitimately had trouble discerning the difference between the first black ops and MW3, other than different guns and maps.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 25, 2013, 12:34:13 am »

I think what you mean is you dislike both

1) Underwhelming sequels
and
2) Cashcow sequels

You don't dislike sequels you just like sequels to feel like genuine improvements or evolutions on the series that were so good it deserved a sequel. Rather then "ehh we can do a few things" and make a sequel on that.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:31 am »

I never bought a C&C game after Tiberian Sun. GDI got an overhaul, Nod got a couple of infantry, a mortar, and the same rehashed army from Dawn. Rip-off lazy fu- Oh and Red Alert was just absurd. I never thought I'd say this, but the bear-wrestling ruined a decent story all-around.

(I know it wasn't them but) Generals was actually pretty fun to comp-stomp on, but there was always 1 spot on a map where the AI just shut off and built hundreds of idle tanks. If we didn't constantly nuke that base, the network game would desync from all the idle units piling up. SO yeah, broken, too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 25, 2013, 03:47:14 am »

Weird auto-targeting that isn't controlled by the player

I've noticed this mostly in 3D beat-em-up style games, like The Matrix: Path of Neo (I'm sure it happens in good games, that's just the most immediate example I can think of). When you push your thumbstick in the direction of an enemy and press the attack button, you'd expect to attack in that direction, right? Wrong, according to some games: you should be sailing through the air in completely the opposite direction at a piece of destructible scenery.

Witcher 2: there are three enemies in front of you.  The one in the middle is too far away to hit.  You attack one of the two in front... and Geralt swings his sword through the empty air between them, because he auto-targeted the middle one.  *facepalm*
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:19 am »

I don't like not being able to enjoyably play a game multiple times after beating it on the account that the storyline is the same over and over again even if you make different choices.

I also don't like sandbox games that while having a lot of stuff to do in the game suffer the same fate with there being a lack of variation in this stuff that there is to do or there being some kind of cryptic nonsense or high learning curve that must be bypassed to enjoy said sandbox game.

Furthermore I don't like online games that seem to center around open player-versus-player combat and don't also have an option to exclude yourself from said combat. That in particular turns me off from a lot of multiplayer games.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 26, 2013, 05:25:50 pm »

When you hit the "Exit" button and it says "Are you sure you want to quit Y/N" instead of "Do you want to save first?"

This is more of an issue with stuff that was made ten years ago and is now on GoG.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 27, 2013, 02:09:41 am »

I do not care if it isn't a design flaw that is on part of the developers but one pet peeve of mine when it comes to the massively multiplayer online game would happen to be a combination of spoilers and certain individuals who offer too much help to newer players without giving them a chance to figure out what works for them. It is almost as if other players just don't know when to shut the fuck up and let someone have fun and enjoy the game but must instead try to train and sculpt them into what they want them to be. This is why I normally do not join guilds and tend to leave the group at the first opportunity in most games that I have to play with another player while of course soloing every other thing that I do not need help with. It's just something that literally gives me a headache and makes me want to reach through the screen and kill them with my own bare hands.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:55 am »

stupid menu flow arranged like a call center tree

like, grid 2 menu: load your only profile, select single player, select world tour, select the available races menu

all while waiting the overly long transition between each menu.

1: we have multi user environment since 1995, please just drop me into the last used profile

2: is it to hard to spare a bit to save what screen I was the last time? drop me there and if I ever need to change the options or the profile (happens, like, once or twice in the game lifetime) then I'll search for them in the back menu.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »

Paradox Interactive : Not putting a Load game option in the game menu (only in the main menu).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 28, 2013, 04:42:25 pm »

stupid menu flow arranged like a call center tree

like, grid 2 menu: load your only profile, select single player, select world tour, select the available races menu

all while waiting the overly long transition between each menu.

1: we have multi user environment since 1995, please just drop me into the last used profile

2: is it to hard to spare a bit to save what screen I was the last time? drop me there and if I ever need to change the options or the profile (happens, like, once or twice in the game lifetime) then I'll search for them in the back menu.

On that note:

Unnecessary menu animations

GFWL is perhaps the biggest offender of this in my memory. But lots of games do it. And I don't mind some menu animations. It's just when the menu animations are slow, and you have to actively wait on them to make your next selection, then it gets annoying.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 28, 2013, 04:46:23 pm »

GFWL is perhaps the biggest offender of this in my memory. But lots of games do it. And I don't mind some menu animations. It's just when the menu animations are slow, and you have to actively wait on them to make your next selection, then it gets annoying.

I don't know if it's just the Xbox version, or my Xbox, or Doom 3 in general, but it takes about two minutes for Doom 3 finish loading the main menu. I have to sit and watch a good amount of the blurry pre-rendered opening cutscene every time I want to play the game, mashing the start button the whole time. And the menu isn't even that impressive.

External media that has bonuses for a game

I got a World of Warcraft TCG starter box that had item codes for all sorts of WoW items. Why did you give me these, Blizzard? These are of no use to me whatsoever. I'd rather have another booster pack or some rare cards.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2013, 04:48:16 pm »

xcom for iphone has super loong laoding screen *before the game* and *before the menu*

now I get the game is biiiiig, but then the initial menu shouldn't take 30+ seconds to load!

use a freaking static image!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 28, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »

It's probably uncompressing some stuff before you start the game, it's common in many engines.

Long load time suck though, I remember getting fed up with shogun 2 because of that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 28, 2013, 05:17:28 pm »

There is one thing I wonder

Altering your own games is legal...

But if a game offers in game cash for real cash (and is single player)... Is it suddenly illegal to alter the game to give yourself unlimited cash?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2013, 10:42:10 pm »

RPGs with no postgame

Especially JRPGs or older WRPGs like Fallout. It bugs me when the world resets to the minute before you enter the final dungeon after you watch the ending.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 324