Advanced search  

Poll

So, when will this start up again?

Abandon Ship - all hope is lost...
Our Necromagicks have failed us!
Next year...
Next quarter...
This quarter?!
Never - The GM is just playing with you!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: (ISG) You are a bound familiar  (Read 46897 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an unbound familiar
« Reply #450 on: June 28, 2013, 10:53:02 pm »

Willpower is to Magic, what Agility is to Strength.
It later goes on to explain that Willpower is needed for realism; focusing on Willpower would let us make some convincing single-sense illusions. We need high-power illusions to have a hope of controlling the sorceress's reality as planned.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:15 pm »

It later goes on to explain that Willpower is needed for realism;
And that that realism is what stops Illusions being seen through, yes.

focusing on Willpower would let us make some convincing single-sense illusions. We need high-power illusions to have a hope of controlling the sorceress's reality as planned.
Focusing solely on Willpower, yes. Pretty sure we're going to need a lot in both but much more in willpower.

The post doesn't actually say that Magic makes Illusions stronger, just "If we concentrate our points in magic, we will reach multiple illusions quicker". Obviously we're going to need enough to hit all senses at once, but AFAICT beyond that point Magic is mostly good for things like using weaker illusions on an entire army.
Of course, to do something binding like that will likely also require a very high Illusion skill, and we'd probably find it much easier with a different school entirely (Enchantment! perhaps?).
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are a bound familiar
« Reply #452 on: June 28, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »

Let's not forget that magic will give us more MP though.(Or at least i think so)
Rawr

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 28, 2013, 11:13:21 pm »

focusing on Willpower would let us make some convincing single-sense illusions. We need high-power illusions to have a hope of controlling the sorceress's reality as planned.
Focusing solely on Willpower, yes. Pretty sure we're going to need a lot in both but much more in willpower.
I'd imagine we'd need a slightly greater amount of Magic, seeing as we'd need to fool all six senses for years on end.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #454 on: June 29, 2013, 12:53:20 am »

I think I disagree with GWG; realism = more senses, better contiguity & finer detail. Magic = more people, more spells. If we get super willpower, we'd be able to trap her in an ultra-realistic illusion so long as our mana holds out.

However, I for one would rather get more strength/agility so as to get larger than cat-sized. Dedicate magic levels to the arcane, and martial levels to power perhaps?

-edit
derp, just remembered, that's already done for us.

Question for Lurker: can we get a sample sheet of a generic npc? (how much strength/agility/willpower etc does the average joe have?)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:21:05 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 29, 2013, 01:44:55 am »

I think I disagree with GWG; realism = more senses, better contiguity & finer detail. Magic = more people, more spells. If we get super willpower, we'd be able to trap her in an ultra-realistic illusion so long as our mana holds out.

However, I for one would rather get more strength/agility so as to get larger than cat-sized. Dedicate magic levels to the arcane, and martial levels to power perhaps?

Question for Lurker: can we get a sample sheet of a generic npc? (how much strength/agility/willpower etc does the average joe have?)
I'm inclined to agree on most points (Size growth being the exception. If we do grow, perhaps we should try to get a spell/item that allows us to alter our size? Being small could be very useful at times, after all).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 29, 2013, 07:04:55 am »

The problem is, Magic is specifically stated as letting us affect more senses...
Sig

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 29, 2013, 07:18:00 am »

Except that it isn't.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 29, 2013, 10:16:54 am »

Well then, we are close to meeting "The Team". I am a bit torn if I should take the risk of you naming them, or even choose the specific schools of the sorceress. Your opinions do matter, so feel free to propose a name and - if you feel like it - prefered magic school for The Witch of the West our slave-driving charming half-troll protagonist. Rolling the races randomly was a good Idea, as the team is definitely interesting - race, relationship and character-wise. We even got really, really lucky on of those fellas. More on that later, as I am sure we will be able to make multiple updates today. As I do have prepared a bit in advance.
Else; ==> Be the Sorceress

"Come high winds and fire's smoke, ..."

Well now, that was quick. You certainly regret that it was not able to finish its sentence – it seems you have missed out on some draconic culture there – but it certainly had very ill intentions. Throwing the amulet around its neck, you are able to access most of its will and a good part of the memories. Sadly the later only go back for half a week, so it might be that Abredas did something to close off his secrets. It is also troubling that all of the memories are in draconic, making you unable to truly understand anything. Still, on your way back to the keep you shift through a good number of the recent memories.

You see some very interesting things there indeed. It seems the welp had a fair interest in the red-light district of this city, even going as far as peeping on at least one occasion. The preference for fresh cat is not lost on you, nor that he followed you on errands at least thrice. It might be only a very young dragon, but it certainly shows great intellect.

Thinking back on it, you sure are lucky that you let the local mages identify all the magical trinkets that you brought back from the tower. The archmage knew enough of his peers work to identify the amulet for what it was, and a simple divination showed the welp in an unrecognizable part of the woods. Seeing this once in a lifetime opportunity to possess one of the – in theory – strongest material beings of this plane, you threw yourself into researching the late Abredas published research. Soon enough you found a promising way to enchant the amulet, and while you would have been ready to set out to find the dragon – it came to you pretty much on its own accord. Then again, it seemed to be aware of the importance of the amulet.

With such idle thoughts, you are about to arrive at the keep – and it dawns on you that you better have your story straight, because else there just might be trouble with one of your companions. While he would not be as troublesome as the other one, you have traveled together for a good time by now and you are sure he would not let your enslavement of the dragon slide.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2013, 11:10:23 am »

So, are we now the protagonist, or do we simply see her thoughts?

ps, is there still some chance of getting larger if we wait patiently for a few centuries?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2013, 11:17:07 am »

See? We just infected/hijacked the adventuring party with our demented hive mind, and we didn't even have to get into their good graces to do it.  Now we just have to see about upgrading our original character to proper party member with full privileges... if we still want to.

--

As Sorceress: Hang back and avoid the keep to stall for time.  Instruct the whelp to go ahead and complete its little speech, we're curious and it might be good for a chuckle.  Then, instruct it to explain to us why it wasn't destroyed in our tower assault, and how/why it's here now.  More information might help us construct a consistent story.  Besides, knowledge is power.

--

Don't know enough about the adventurers to make too many solid suggestions, but the sorceress should be an enchanter; she has already enchanted the amulet, and that would be a powerful, versatile type of magic to have on our side anyway.  The implied freedom-loving good guy adventurer should be a berserker type warrior; those usually make for interesting stories, and the emotional overload of his adrenaline junkie combat approach would help to keep the whelp's batteries charged.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:19:14 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2013, 11:32:47 am »

Those suggestions seem reasonable, (if a little cliche).

Wasn't the big guy wearing heavy armor?

(I wonder if they'll notice the (not so) subtle changes we inflict on each of their psyches in a bout of 4th wall fun? I hope yes!)

-editv2
Absorbing the big guy's emotions and the big guy being the good guy don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Let's strive to be different with a good-rogue!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inferring he didn't already roll for which one was a nice guy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:55:44 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2013, 02:25:31 pm »

I kinda wish that my ominous and condemning poetry was our last words...or the start of it, at least.

Oh well.

For now, let's consider something radical: The Truth.
Sig

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2013, 02:38:27 pm »

As the sorceress, I do agree that it would be prudent to let the now enslaved dragon whelp have SOME way of communicating with us (taking great care to prevent it from spellcasting, of course). besides the obvious insight to draconic culture it would give us, it might also appease the companion who objects to slavery.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #464 on: June 29, 2013, 03:16:54 pm »

Indezi Dragon whelp: don't finish it! "No, I don't remember it.". If she rips it from our mind, be all prophecy-ey about it!

Goddamn witch: See about healing the poor bugger, and be sure to explain to the town guard it's in its shackles again. Can't go getting our tools broken/confiscated.

What should our story be?
Demonize the bugger, (pun). Point to the poor guard he disfigured, and the field fire you caught him in the act of. Only through your quick-thinking and heroic actions is the menace muzzled! Plus: we get a free dragon! Don't look it in the mouth you fool!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 03:31:18 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37