Advanced search  

Poll

So, when will this start up again?

Abandon Ship - all hope is lost...
Our Necromagicks have failed us!
Next year...
Next quarter...
This quarter?!
Never - The GM is just playing with you!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: (ISG) You are a bound familiar  (Read 46983 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an unbound familiar
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:59 pm »

I don't think they're hunting for us. They'd have made little difference against that thief, and the funny-shaped mud ball's likely just piqued their guardsman curiosity. A general cry of 'HEEEEEELP!' would have been better.
Yes, because two guardsmen are no match for a thief...
Besides, why care about a mudball at all if you don't recognize it as something unusual? And aren't unusual things, especially if dangerous, worth mentioning?
Basically, it's easier to assume that out of the many, many people who saw us (even though we were muddy), some decided that we weren't a hallucination and mentioned it to their friends. Rumors get out. People start seeing winged mudballs or whatever we're supposed to look like, and when we actually are sighted, people follow; than assume that these guards decided to follow a random mudball instead of do something with actual potential glory and gratitude.
And if no one knew of us before, they will now...

Beginning work on
Spoiler: ARGUMENTS! (click to show/hide)
I really hate when people do this kind of stuff, because then someone else posts and I never see the arguments they edit in.

For now, Attributes. I'd suggest Agility, which should let us sneak, dodge, and perhaps even jump or glide better.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »

I don't think they're hunting for us. They'd have made little difference against that thief, and the funny-shaped mud ball's likely just piqued their guardsman curiosity. A general cry of 'HEEEEEELP!' would have been better.
Yes, because two guardsmen are no match for a thief...
Besides, why care about a mudball at all if you don't recognize it as something unusual? And aren't unusual things, especially if dangerous, worth mentioning?
Basically, it's easier to assume that out of the many, many people who saw us (even though we were muddy), some decided that we weren't a hallucination and mentioned it to their friends. Rumors get out. People start seeing winged mudballs or whatever we're supposed to look like, and when we actually are sighted, people follow; than assume that these guards decided to follow a random mudball instead of do something with actual potential glory and gratitude.
And if no one knew of us before, they will now...
I did give a bonus to the roll on their decision, but running after a thief while in full armour, might not be the most productive thing to do. To be honest, "Murder", or "Fire" would have gotten a slightly bigger one.

We look funny, and being absolutely covered in mud is suspicious as well. Guardsmen are paid to keep an eye out for suspicious things, even if they seem innocuous.
We hadn't been exposed until recently, (the thief), excluding the children, 'they're just telling those damn fibs again', and the drunkard, 'whew, I drank too much last night'..

Beginning work on
Spoiler: ARGUMENTS! (click to show/hide)
I really hate when people do this kind of stuff, because then someone else posts and I never see the arguments they edit in.
Deal with it, it's up now.

Before we decide what to upgrade, I'd like to know what attributes can be increased by doing things, (climbing = strength xp, casting illusions = magic xp, etc).
Also, damn, woulda preferred we try a double-illusion instead of the dragon fire.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:10:06 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2013, 11:28:09 pm »

I vote strength, it seems like the draconic thing to do...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:14 pm »

Before we decide what to upgrade, I'd like to know what attributes can be increased by doing things, (climbing = strength xp, casting illusions = magic xp, etc).

Sneaking: After two levels of Agility-gain, there is the option of taking Endurance or Strength the next time.
Illusionist: Willpower or Magic. Pretty straight-forward.

Draconic
and Demonic are Racial Skills - since both are not really noted for something specific, we will theoretically be able to update any attribute we please. That being said, if we only do specific actions to gain them - like setting the village on fire repeatedly - I will tend to change it for that specific level-up. All within reason. For our latest thou, we did glide around a fair bit, and let loose some flames. Any attribute will be reasonable.

Multi-Skilling wont be a concern for "cheating" attributes, as they do not occur with every new ability-level. Also, most of our Starting-Attributes are actually from the existing levels - minus a few "start creature" attributes.

Obviously Attributes can also be alloted via events, but for the most part I would prefer to keep it clear-cut with the skill-system.
The Attribute-XP based system would require me to define each action to a specific attribute, and would make things only that much more complicated. Worth a consideration but if multi-skilling is handled the right way not worth implementing.

I am guessing that if we get to, say, 20 strength, that we will be a credible physical threat to most critters regardless of our size...
Physical abilities do get scaled down to our size somewhat, so while we might have come out of the guards grip, we surely would not be a true threat to it.

+1 to strength or agility, for dragon's sake.

If we keep buffing those two, will we get bigger? /imagine me nodding while you're typing. No, no mental suggestion here, no sir.
??? Keep telling yourself that. Keep at it long enough, and it just becomes that slight little bit less untrue. ;3
As for your question, the draconic metabolism does not work that way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:16:36 am by escaped lurker »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:05 pm »

+1 to strength or agility, for dragon's sake.

If we keep buffing those two, will we get bigger? /imagine me nodding while you're typing. No, no mental suggestion here, no sir.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2013, 11:52:32 pm »

I vote either strength, for upgraded gliding, or magic, for better illusions. Either way are we able to... change... our camouflage somewhat, we might need a plan if everyone starts searching for 'muddy thing'.
Rawr

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2013, 12:14:53 am »

Spoiler: Counterarguments! (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
[/quote]
Deal with it, it's up now.
[/quote]
Yay. Why couldn't you add it to this post?

Also, guys, keep in mind that our new thief friend would likely notice any thefts that get up to that hefty sum of 30 gold. However, we might be able to fool him if we can get a couple gold & another bag- two bags, one of rocks inside a larger one, with the gold coins on top. We fool him into not seeing the other bag, and if he pulls out a coin or two his friends will see it's real. Perhaps?
Yes, let's try to cheat a thief. No way he's heard of cons like this before.
Unless we need to, we shouldn't do this. It ruins our credibility with him and probably won't work anyways.

SO MANY PYRAMIDS!
Shall we try snipping out bits?

As I said, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
If that doesn't answer your question, consider this philosophical question: If it's easy, is it worth doing?
My point is, just because it's hard or time-consuming doesn't automatically mean we shouldn't do it.
And as another said, in the meantime they might kill us on-sight.
They might...which is part of why I keep pushing to gather information.
But if we're not a complete moron, we could simply not go into a situation with no escape. If we did so, we'd at least learn something about our enemies.

You have a choice if you're dealing with demons.
You don't have a choice if you're a demon.
Dealing with a race known to typically delight in pain? Evil.
Being a member of a race known to typically delight in pain? Suspicious, but not evil in and of itself. Especially if you're only part-demon, and not willingly so. (Did we choose to be part-demon?)
I still fail to see how 'being affiliated with an evil(ish?) group' is worse than 'being part of an evil(ish) group'. As in 'murder the former, befriend the latter!'---- wouldn't that make our proposed party members demon-associators?
The biggest difference is that we'd have proven to be the exception.

Yes, because a sorceress adventurer who is exhausted and therefore mostly vulnerable, who probably has accumulated a number of enemies through her adventuring, can be relied on to leave herself perfectly defenseless in her room while an emergency is going on. I could see her going with her friends, or having one stay behind, but I don't think we can count on her leaving herself undefended.
It's the keep of a city-not exactly undefended; or at least that's what we want them to think. Being well-established & powerful would actually help isolate her, 'No, fuck you, I can take care of myself, go on.'.
Ah. So you think that our little dragon can defeat the defenses of a keep? And that the sorceress wouldn't be concerned about threats that could do so? It seems to me that most things that can burn a city wouldn't have much trouble with a castle--and the fact that we're one but not the other doesn't help your side any.

Yep, we do. Why don't we have surprise?
Hm, because we have at least four or five confirmed and many possible people who saw us as a clearly magical, four-legged-and-winged creature, which is not a common sight in towns and will therefore not stay in peoples' minds? Could that be it?
To answer the question, yes. It's stupid to assume that none of these people would talk, that no one would share a story that could corroborate his claims.

Actually, I'd say a dead dragon is a lot less likely to kill a would-be researcher than a live one.
As implied, we would try to kill the researcher or escape before he would do that. The researcher is a researcher, not a dragonslayer, so any killing would be left to the adventurers.
And they're not likely to delay.

Why?
Because fires kill people?
No, why kill them?
Because they are flammable? I'm suggesting starting fires, which would kill a lot of people. We're already talking about the fires, the people are just collateral.
Have you gotten the idea that I want to avoid causing civilian casualties? It strikes me that that will make things harder, both because we'd destroy much of the town and because we look vaguely draconic, leading to suspicions that the weird dragon-like mud monster might have been connected to the fire that destroyed the town...especially if a draconic creature shows up to try and get the amulet from the sorceress.

My point was one where you claimed that alliances were impossible between groups of differing power, and I was proving you wrong.
Besides, in our case our Egypt can manage to get water if they work together with Ethiopia, with their only other option being trying to take on the (larger and better-armed) Ethiopia directly.
Yeah, the analogy sucks, but you're the one who brought it up...
Ok ok, if the water was in a fountain that could be stolen, and Egypt could run away from Ethiopia, then it'd fit.
Your examples didn't include a kill-switch & lack of independence- 'I have the controls to your explosive collar ;D let's be allies!'
Well, let me put it this way: An alliance is more likely to work than a confrontation, because a confrontation against a superior number of superior combatants will not end well. We have deception and friendship, and our deception ideas are lacking.

That requires them to figure it out. How would they? Would they interview our master and ask if her abducted any small dragons? Oh wait, he's dead and if he did he wouldn't admit to it.
Explain how they would find out, and I'll concoct a sob story that's entirely within the truth. Although that one is, technically, true...AFAIK, at least. I don't know exactly where he got the draconicness from.
We'd know, and it's important for how we roleplay. I'd be more interested in burning down the village than becoming a scheming pet- it's more honest.
...How did that answer the question? We'd know and our burning guilt would force us to confess in a Raskolnikovian madness?
Here's a better question: If you don't mind burning a town, causing countless property damage and civilian casualties, why do you care about lies?

1. I'm basing my assumptions that demons are not all evil based A. on what the GM said and B. a knee-jerk dislike of universally homogenous groups bigger than one or maybe a few people.
2. Want more reasons? This whole place would need to be a major theocracy for a group of three highly zealotrous adventurers to be not only accepted but honored by the government, as well as well-rewarded and such. To say nothing of why a group of zealots is raiding tombs and killing wizards rather than going on crusades...
Now now, you can't be basing your arguments on new information if we're debating the merits of stances we held previously. As for the knee-jerk, that might not be shared by the Just guy, (already covered).
1. I don't understand your first point.
2. We were discussing why I held my views, not what the adventurers and their patrons thought.
Thus, it seems you're not being terribly germane...

Those are arguments I can deal with! Well they do have a big church nearby, and the master did start crap with them, (and tax collectors). Plus the populace might not be very friendly towards demons in general, and therefore slaying the demon-magician would be sweet! Along with his demon familiar! Isn't there a demon siege currently going on somewhere?
These things explain why a demon-slayer would be supported...but not why the local lords would give lodging. After all, there aren't that many demons around.

I don't expect to be the leader...but you don't need to be the leader to get a say. This isn't the military, this isn't a dictatorship--it's a band, a gang, a small group where at least some level of democracy and cooperation is needed for group cohesion, let alone success.
True, but we're not human, part demon, and kinda small. Oh, and we have a killswitch in their possession & can't leave their presence so long as they have it.
1. We'd still be a member. If we earn our (figurative) bread, we get to eat. If we prove that we're valuable to the group, we become part of the group. Certainly, stranger teams have happened IRL and in popular fantasy.
2. If it becomes a problem, take it and leave. It'll certainly be easier to steal once we're in the middle of the wilderness, sleeping in a tent, than now in the middle of a major town and within a well-guarded keep.

Steal it back now? How? The crazy "Set a fire and hope the sorceress leaves herself unguarded in case of emergency" plan?
Yes, that one.
The one you haven't really addressed the issues to, except by claiming that she'd feel safe in the keep which you still haven't proposed how we even would enter?

We've managed to make people aware of us, as shown by those people chasing a muddy thing. If they thought we were just a stray cat or something, a thief attacking a woman would take greater priority. If they know we're more than that...it would explain their actions.
Besides, you're assuming that they don't know what the amulet is. There's no evidence for that. Presumably, an adventuring party has some way to figure out what magical items are...the sorceress wouldn't have experimented with the amulet with no idea what it did, after all.
I don't think they do, nor are, as I said above. The thief did, but he has a business associated with rumors & sensitive information.
You forgot the thugs.
And now the guards know for sure we're some kind of little monster guy. That's ruining our cover right there.

Perhaps some or part of it, but it's just as likely that they only know it's some kinda magical amulet, traced with demonic power. If they knew what it was, she may have been able to take control of us.
Oh, yes. "I have determined that this is an amulet which grants power to and over a familiar! I now control the familiar AHAHAHA!"
That's like saying that being able to recognize a SCUBA tank means you're PADI certified.

1. Why would raising the alarm make them lower their security? I mean, fires don't start every day, let alone around the time you get back from raiding a wizard's castle and a muddy dragon-shaped thing has been seen wandering about.
2. We shouldn't limit ourselves by proving demonic stereotypes right, either. Face it: Either path limits us in some way. We may not be beholden to anyone, but we can't hope to survive if we turn everyone against us, regardless of why we do so.
Because they'd be helping put it out and 'Hey, jeez, look at that fire! holy cow.' That isn't what I'm proposing though- I'm proposing we get our amulet back. If I were to say, 'hey guys, let's prove demon stereotypes true!', that would have the same argumentative weight as 'Let's not prove demon stereotypes true!'. They may already be against us. We sure don't want to find out.
I understand that they might want to help...but for all we know, they're the lazy adventurers who wouldn't even help put out a fire if the tavern they were in was burning. Besides, being willing to help doesn't mean they'd drop their guard entirely.
As to the latter case: My point is that burning the town and deciding not to be Evil both close off options. Let's figure out which one closes off options that are harder to get to before making a decision.

Not until you explain why we'd be "physically unable" to leave. Remember: If we can steal it now, we can steal it when we're travelling with the exact same people.
They'll know we're after it, they may do something with us. We won't be able to physically leave until we have it, so unless by some whimsical stroke of luck they deign to give us our leash, we won't be able to leave, & our relationship will not be the same as a normal party member's.
You mean that trying to steal it won't alert them?
"But we'll succeed!"
No, not likely. Remember: We need to break into a keep, and fight at least one adventurer. As a cat-sized dragon with minimal combat abilities.
And then we'll have three angry adventurers on our tails.
And what stops us from stealing the amulet once we're in the party, if we really must? "It'll be harder?" It's pretty darn impossible now, and in the future the security will be composed of tents and one guy at a time watching for wolves or bandits.

1. Again, there are too many coincidences for them not to suspect...especially if a muddy dragony thing like what people have been talking about tries to steal the amulet, and later a draconic creature shows up saying he needs the amulet to survive.
2. What "baby dragon things" do you have in mind? Adventuring is as good a thing to do as any, IMHO.
They can suspect, but they won't know. (this changes since we've revealed ourselves to the thief, mind you. Argueing previous stance.)
Why are you still arguing for your previous stances?

We're a muddy thing, not a muddy dragony thing. If we get lucky they may not even know were the one that stole the amulet.
Hello? Wings. That alone makes us look dragony. Combined with such factors as the slithery tail and the draconic head, and we look pretty darn dragony.

Perhaps establish a lair, practice abilities & skills, get older & more powerful. That fantastic adventure to the draco-beast kingdom of the north. Terrorizing the country-side local cows chickens.
Point is, what we want to do.
Why?
And what makes you certain we can do that? Aside from terrorizing chickens, which frankly sounds a lot less interesting to me than joining an adventuring group's adventures.

The way I see it, we have two choices here:
1. Burninate the whole town! Hope that the adventurers leave a single unguarded sorceress as the only thing guarding the amulet as the others go to help with the fire. Hope that a small dragon can defeat said sorceress. Steal the amulet. Flee and hope that the sorceress's companions and possibly the sorceress don't find and kill us.
2. Keep the diplomatic option open long enough to find out more about the adventurers.
We wouldn't be killing her, (that'd attract ire, not good), #2 comes with downsides as well.
[/quote]
Not killing her would attract less anger, not good. And I can't think of any non-lethal (or non-seeming-attempted-lethal, I should say) method of getting the amulet from the sorceress in your plan.
What disadvantages are you thinking of? We need more information regardless.
[/spoiler]

I vote strength, it seems like the draconic thing to do...
Meh. I'm not really thinking that we're going to succeed by trying to be a stereotypical Dragon Monster Rar! at cat-sized. And, honestly, I don't think it would help or be a lot of fun.

Hm...I'll vote Magic, since upgrading our illusion magic seems like the best way to improve our advantages over random people we encounter.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:52 am »

I am guessing that if we get to, say, 20 strength, that we will be a credible physical threat to most critters regardless of our size, and a dragon being overpowered is just embarrassing...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2013, 03:42:17 am »

I think i will vote strength. Because i think i remember someone hinting that it would allow us to become closer to flying.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:34 am »

Spoiler: Herk (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2013, 04:28:15 am »

I disagree, I have been continually addressing the issues. Dash in during the confusion, or attempt to climb the sloped wall (during the confusion).
I should note, I pointed out before that a town-wide blaze is likely to throw up a lot of very large thermals, which would greatly boost our gliding ability. Especially if we start off from somewhere high up, like, say, that tower.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2013, 08:47:06 am »

Spoiler: What does "Herk" mean? (click to show/hide)

I am guessing that if we get to, say, 20 strength, that we will be a credible physical threat to most critters regardless of our size, and a dragon being overpowered is just embarrassing...
On the other hand, we will have sacrificed more than a dozen points to make us stronger...which we won't have used that much, except maybe to gain flight.

I disagree, I have been continually addressing the issues. Dash in during the confusion, or attempt to climb the sloped wall (during the confusion).
I should note, I pointed out before that a town-wide blaze is likely to throw up a lot of very large thermals, which would greatly boost our gliding ability. Especially if we start off from somewhere high up, like, say, that tower.
Towers tend to have roofs. Unless you suggest we fly in a window...which would put us in the tower. However, once we get in the tower...what then?
Sig

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2013, 10:30:28 am »

Herk, that escalated quickly. And by that I mean that we just might be in deep, deep... camouflage.
On that note, because GWG mentioned it. We were re-applying the mud - I thought it would be no problem for us to think that far ahead, no? Anyways, here goes.
Also, Strength wins by popular vote.

Spoiler: Indezi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

It dawns on you that it really might be time to change your most cunning camouflage - besides it also will be nice to expell "covering myself in mud" from your morning routine. For now you leave it on thou, seeing as it still is a bit better than your true form.

Searching around for a suitable new cover does bear no fruit, but you think some kind of pelt might actually work.. somewhat. There is only that much you could do without sewing yourself a mantle out of it. Not really surprising is the fact that you are not the only one searching for "something", as it seems that the guards also have started doing so. Injuring one of their peers has made them more serious you guess, and they do not leave out the little alleys they normaly tend to avoid. It seems like they want to search the whole district, and quite a few more of them flock around than is usual.

For now you have hidden yourself in a heap of firewood – with you more or less closing the entrance with one of the pieces strewn about, it ought to do till nightfall. A patrol passes by somewhat closely at some point, and they seem riled up indeed.
+1 MP

After a while you also feel some mages to be around, crowned with the weaving of some strong magic - coming from the general direction of your assault. About three quite able mages seems to emerge from there, advancing into your general direction. They would take some minutes to come into view, if they really would have found a way to fllow you. It also might only be coincidence, but you are not tempted to wait it out. By now it is only midday thou, and the streets are bustling with people. At least for now there seem to be no guards in the vicinity, so it could be a good time to get a move on.

I took the liberty of hiding us away, as soon as the guards hit the district. They obviously seem to take the whole matter serious, even involving the local mages in it. All are taking it pretty serious - dice be dammned.

What now, haunting voices of the draconic lobe?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:04 am »

Climb the wall and run across roofs to a convenient ruined structure.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:40 am »

Keep it secret, keep it safe.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37