Advanced search  

Poll

So, when will this start up again?

Abandon Ship - all hope is lost...
Our Necromagicks have failed us!
Next year...
Next quarter...
This quarter?!
Never - The GM is just playing with you!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: (ISG) You are a bound familiar  (Read 47035 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) You are an unbound familiar
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

I rather suspect that they could get a lot more than 40 silvers from stealing a number of things that are not the amulet from anywhere that the amulet is likely to be located...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »

1. Depends on who you ask. A researcher might put more stock on what our viscera looks like, or how we react to certain magical (painful) stimuli, than our potential combat abilities/companionship (enslavement).
2. We're implying that they'd know this, and so wouldn't trust us. (even in spite of our sob story, which isn't helped by our demonic properties- we shouldn't have even had the choice to disobey after all)
  2a. Shits and giggles. I suspect it was a half-serious note.
   2a-i. They are dirty humans after all, and they are giving us a hassle by keeping our amulet. Damnable thieves.
3. And also fits with 'demons can't be trusted and/or should be purged'
1. That's a crappy researcher, and adventurers are rarely research scientists.
2. They know the mage is dead. How couldn't they? And the demonic bits are the basis of the sob story.
2a. I still don't see why we should follow it, or why the humans would automatically assume we would if we gave them clear evidence to the contrary.
3. Every race has exceptions. The adventurers should know this, if they're experienced to take down a moderately powerful mage. After all, you can't take out a goblin fortress without an inside man or an army, and adventurers lack the latter.

2a. Shits and giggles. I suspect it was a half-serious note.
   2a-i. They are dirty humans after all, and they are giving us a hassle by keeping our amulet. Damnable thieves.
I don't think he was implying that we should hurt them because he said so so much as that they may expect us to hurt them because he said so.
After all, what would you think if the demon dragon pet of the mage you murdered suddenly turned up and asked you for a precious artifact. Highly doubt they would give it to us.
Much shorter time frame than I imagined, and leaves out the part where we tell them that their new pet needs that artifact to survive.
And what use do they have for it, anyways?

If they're like book adventurers, there's always the heart.
Unless the book is darker and edgier.
Even WH40k, Grimdark Incarnate, has its nice people. For instance, Ciaphus Cain (HERO IF THE IMPERIUM!) would probably give our little guy at least half a chance.
Hence, in our world, there's probably enough nice people that at least one is in this party of adventurers. Especially since a party full of complete murderous bastards wouldn't be liked much by the populace...

If they're like RPG adventurers, there's always the roleplayer/female player's adventurer.
Unless they are a Monty Hauling party of Power-Gaming Munchkins...
The only parties I've ever seen that were 100% like that were also composed 100% of noobs who couldn't optimize a 20th-level wizard. They simply don't exist.

If they're like VRPG adventurers, it's good to find that out now.
We could be tricked by a Roleplayer, or executed without warning by a Griefer...
The former is inevitable no matter what our plan is, and the latter would be more likely to backstab his party members long ago and hence have been kicked out (possibly lethally) long ago. Not to mention that if the dragon is as obviously EVUL! as everyone says it will be, the griefer would be more likely to side with us...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2013, 08:48:36 pm »

Allright, I basically tried to gauge our options, and there is one in the trap department. I honestly will not consider building a fall-trap by ourselves, seeing as we are cat-sized and with my experience on digging holes (plenty, helped build a well, building foundations and stuff), even a single man would need multiple days for the trap that you seem to envision. Only that we are a dragon, and can't even hold a spade, much less get chunky rocks out of the way. A basic spike-trap might work, but anyways. Let's see what you make out of our options - and our current situation. Observe the results of bad rolls. :o

Spoiler: Indezi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

After considering the whole matter, it seems like you could combine your plans. Thinking on it, digging a hole that is big enough to stop them would be a task way above your physical abilities, but here your draconic wit comes into play. You skulk around the area for a house suited to your plans and soon enough one location comes into view. It is an abandoned two-story building, with a nice dead-end alley. The roof covers both stories, and you have no doubts that you should be able to land on the rooftops across the other side of said alley. You yourself are able to get there over a couple of smaller roofs adjactent to it - challenging but no problem once night settles in. There also would be some stables with hay nearby - now if you could get your hands on some oil you are sure to wip up a flaming inferno of a trap, should the situation go awry. It should do as a meeting point, and for the case of cases you could add some fire-starters in the vicinity of your planed escape route.

(Arcane Mind-map, activate)

Considering that some information on the heroes, or even a thieving-hit may be in order, you try to get your claws on an informant of such matters. Sadly your normal voice is far too strange for such an undertaking, not to speak from the possible consequences should such unsavory characters become aware of your presence. Still, your search takes you to an area in town that might be what you are looking for. Your try your luck with someone that seems to recieve preferable treatment by the people - wich amounts to a greeting and no glaring in these parts. He does not seem to be what you are looking for, but is willing to part with some information for coin. Too bad that you can add such small stuff to your illusion without problem - the number of coins in his pockets will differ slightly from his memory, should he count them later on. -3 MP

Soon enough you have the man he described, and when you find him he seems to enjoy a meal by himself. You are smart enough to change the illusion, and it comes out pretty well - but the shady character does not deal with informations, nor does he buy the initial story about the amulet just being lent, with the heroes refusing to part with it; he want's the true reason.

While trying a more honest angle of the story - without revealing yourself in the matter - the man suddenly makes a litte stab at the illusion with his fork. You get the reaction right, but quite a bit too slow, with an awkward silence ensuing. Seems like he knows his magic - or it is not the first time that this has happened to him. With great annoyance he demands you to show yourself, lest he just might reveal the whole matter to the other party involved. You could easily enough slip away at this point, and while it might just be a bluff, you are not quite sure on how to procceed.
-3 MP

Spoiler: Current Status (click to show/hide)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »

Even WH40k, Grimdark Incarnate, has its nice people. For instance, Ciaphus Cain (HERO IF THE IMPERIUM!) would probably give our little guy at least half a chance.
Hence, in our world, there's probably enough nice people that at least one is in this party of adventurers. Especially since a party full of complete murderous bastards wouldn't be liked much by the populace...

Ciaphas Cain would give a part-demon creature whose master he had killed a chance.
Ok then.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »

I am not a huge fan of hiring a thief, but, given that we are here, I suggest sticking to our guns. We have no intention of revealing ourselves. If they aren't willing to work with that, then the illusion apologises for wasting everyone's time and then vanishes after we vacate the premises. If the thief spreads the word that someone is looking for the amulet, then that can only serve to make the amulet more difficult to transport...

P.S.
 I wouldn't say that Warhammer 40000 is all that grimdark. The people in charge all have their ambitions, and have means of progressing them, even if those means are often difficult or thwarted, The individual participants often have small victories to celebrate, means of keeping themselves busy,  and at least some forms of hope for the future. Some folk even have other folk that they can legitimately trust. The only real problem with the setting is the steady flow of "Dear John" and "Billy was a hero" letters, the occasional community vanishing, and the thought police... I would expect more traditional cosmic horror to have far more grim darkness than that...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 18, 2013, 09:53:28 pm »

I would expect more traditional cosmic horror to have far more grim darkness than that...
You mean aside from thinking of the wrong thing could get you killed or a single person falling to evil anywhere on your world could result in the world being riped apart or that the other sides can be much worse like do something right and get turned to mindless beast
or spend centuries training then get killed by a soul eating demon before firing a shot or see the locust horde eat ten systems at once.
that grimdark enough
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2013, 10:00:47 pm »

Can someone tell me what we're arguing about?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2013, 10:08:40 pm »

Ciaphas Cain would give a part-demon creature whose master he had killed a chance.
Ok then.
I said, "...at least half a chance". He's not the whole "PURGE THE SLIGHTLY DINGY," he's only interested in purging those he understands are irreparably corrupted.
At least, that's how I read it. And, anyways, I was showing that beacons of light exist in even the worst of settings. Are you going to claim this universe is anywhere near as bad as 40k?

P.S.
 I wouldn't say that Warhammer 40000 is all that grimdark. The people in charge all have their ambitions, and have means of progressing them, even if those means are often difficult or thwarted, The individual participants often have small victories to celebrate, means of keeping themselves busy,  and at least some forms of hope for the future. Some folk even have other folk that they can legitimately trust. The only real problem with the setting is the steady flow of "Dear John" and "Billy was a hero" letters, the occasional community vanishing, and the thought police... I would expect more traditional cosmic horror to have far more grim darkness than that...
Let's look at the three "good" races:
Humanity--Genocidally xenophobic, what with killing just about anyone not 100% pure human (except Space Marines). Also almost murderously adverse to progress, and so incompetent and/or apathetic that it loses whole worlds to rounding errors.
Eldar--Also xenophobic and elitist, also to murderous extent. They also accidentally made a Chaos God (read: nigh-omnicidal god of evil) through depravity. That leaves the unusually-xenophobic Craftworld Eldar and the unusually-depraved Dark Eldar.
Tau--The nice guys by default due to not automatically being hostile to other races or wanting to destroy any given part of reality. Aside from many of their practices being comparable to the less pleasant of the Nazis', they're also by far the weakest of the main races.
And let's not forget that the most powerful factions--Orks, Necrons, Tyranids, and Chaos--are among those with the least pretense about their darkness. And the orks--who make their Middle Earth name-roots proud and rather terrified--are the comic relief. And there are several apocalypses waiting to happen.
This was a setting that they consciously tried to make grimdark.

Can someone tell me what we're arguing about?
My questioning of "Dark-And-Edginess" leading to the possibility of no "nice" people in the adventuring party, which lead to someone criticizing my example of an absurdly DaE universe with such a nice person, which lead to discussion of if WH40k is really that grimdark.
Just another day at Bay12.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2013, 10:14:37 pm »

side discussion: is WH40K grimdark?
bah

actual topic: what do we do now?
my opinion:
I am not a huge fan of hiring a thief, but, given that we are here, I suggest sticking to our guns. We have no intention of revealing ourselves. If they aren't willing to work with that, then the illusion apologises for wasting everyone's time and then vanishes after we vacate the premises. If the thief spreads the word that someone is looking for the amulet, then that can only serve to make the amulet more difficult to transport...
this is good thinking. if we reveal ourselves he is simply going to use what he learns against us, and he has refused to give us information anyway.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:09 pm »

Ok then.
I said, "...at least half a chance". He's not the whole "PURGE THE SLIGHTLY DINGY," he's only interested in purging those he understands are irreparably corrupted.
Being part-demon is irreparably corrupted, at least in 40K. Exceedingly so, in fact.

And, anyways, I was showing that beacons of light exist in even the worst of settings.
Of course they do. I don't see why that's of any importance in guessing that the guys who murdered our master for little to no apparent reason are probably not going to be friendly to us.

Are you going to claim this universe is anywhere near as bad as 40k?
Aside from the way magic works, this entire story could easily have taken place on some Imperial Feudal World, and we lack any real knowledge of the wider setting, so I have no idea.

I wouldn't say that Warhammer 40000 is all that grimdark.
The phrase was quite literally invented to describe 40K. If 40K isn't Grimdark, nothing is.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »

Ok then.
Being part-demon is irreparably corrupted, at least in 40K. Exceedingly so, in fact.
It's possible to be part-daemon in 40k? I thought they went straight to possession.

And, anyways, I was showing that beacons of light exist in even the worst of settings.
Of course they do. I don't see why that's of any importance in guessing that the guys who murdered our master for little to no apparent reason are probably not going to be friendly to us.
They're adventurers. Our master was playing with demons. Do the math. At worst, it's Gray v. Black.

Aside from the way magic works, this entire story could easily have taken place on some Imperial Feudal World, and we lack any real knowledge of the wider setting, so I have no idea.
It's too pleasant to be any but a remote Feudal World, and by "Remote" I mean "Unaffected by the horror and madness of the outside galaxy".

I wouldn't say that Warhammer 40000 is all that grimdark.
The phrase was quite literally invented to describe 40K. If 40K isn't Grimdark, nothing is.
Well, yes, this too.
Sig

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »

It's possible to be part-daemon in 40k? I thought they went straight to possession.
Yes and yes. See: Possessed.

They're adventurers. Our master was playing with demons. Do the math. At worst, it's Gray v. Black.
Judging by the name he left, they're religious types. We're part demon. They were happy to murder him just for a fairly small bit of meddling with demons that didn't even bind any to this reality except us, as far as we know. If our creation was such an abomination that he got killed for it, they're extremely unlikely to let us survive.

It's too pleasant to be any but a remote Feudal World, and by "Remote" I mean "Unaffected by the horror and madness of the outside galaxy".
There are a lot of planets in the Imperium, and a fairly large number of them aren't plagued by war and such, at least most of the time. Not to mention various forgotten worlds with remnant human colonists. Plus, we know basically nothing about this world. What I'm saying is, don't make too many assumptions that this is a decent place, because for all we know the guys that killed "master" are members of a church of fanatical demon-haters who would fit into the -][- just fine.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:32 pm »

Yes and yes. See: Possessed.
I'll freely admit not knowing how 40k daemons work, but I don't think we're much like a possessed person. For one thing, we haven't gone on any rampages or anything.

Judging by the name he left, they're religious types. We're part demon. They were happy to murder him just for a fairly small bit of meddling with demons that didn't even bind any to this reality except us, as far as we know. If our creation was such an abomination that he got killed for it, they're extremely unlikely to let us survive.
While we're on the subject of 40k...remember why the young Techpriests (or whatever they're called) are the conservative ones? They don't live to be old. Any party that's gotten to the level of power to succeed and prestige to attempt killing a moderately powerful mage is willing to bend the rules a little. Work with a nice part-demon, in exchange for having a part-demon pet? That's a useful tool in a bunch of potential cons.

There are a lot of planets in the Imperium, and a fairly large number of them aren't plagued by war and such, at least most of the time. Not to mention various forgotten worlds with remnant human colonists. Plus, we know basically nothing about this world. What I'm saying is, don't make too many assumptions that this is a decent place, because for all we know the guys that killed "master" are members of a church of fanatical demon-haters who would fit into the -][- just fine.
Quoting you:
"[A] fairly large number of them aren't plagued by war..."
Even if this world was part of the 40k-verse, that doesn't automatically make it grimdark.
Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:16 pm »

I am vehemently against revealing ourselves to the thief, but I feel that just running away would be tactless, as in, they think that we are scared of being revealed and could be manipulated...
I really don't know anything about the local demons, they could be nature-spirits...

P.S.
 W.H. 40000 is limited by the fact that people fight. They have things to fight for and means with which to be fighting. Certainly it is not a pleasant place, but a certain mindset would find peace and satisfaction in a setting in which any means can be justified with the right ends. 40000 might be designed as absolute grimdark, but it is limited by the need for conflict, because it is a game. The Emperor keeps most humans sane, Tyranids fleets will generally survive, Tau ideals haven't yet replicated the Eldar incident, the Eldar can generally keep themselves hidden, the Dark Eldar are enjoying themselves, Chaos offers exciting promotions and a clear set of goals, Orcs are always surrounded by good people, and the C'tan really don't have much to worry about. Every culture in 40000 has effective defensive measures and homes that are not facing imminent destruction. Every culture has meaningful victories. Every culture has purpose and function. These could all be taken away from the setting and would significantly raise its grimdarkiness. Once the hive-ships are all simultaneously shattered and dispersed by unknown forces, the galaxy starts systematically being consumed by a darkness so profound that not even the warp can guess at what might have happened, and everyone just looks at it and admits that they've lost, then maybe it will be heading towards the epitome of grimdark. But as long as it is compromised by the constraints of being a wargame in which objectives can actually be attained, it isn't pure enough to be the epitome of anything other than that.

But all of this is beside the point, we have three people who broke into a dwelling, killed the dweller, and took possession of their possessions. They obviously have some level of cooperation from the local authorities, but we really don't know enough about them to assume that one of their number would be in any way sympathetic to us.
Read the First Post!

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2013, 11:22:39 pm »

I'll freely admit not knowing how 40k daemons work, but I don't think we're much like a possessed person. For one thing, we haven't gone on any rampages or anything.
Attempt to incite a riot for fun and profit says hi. Plan to set fire to the town for fun and profit says hi. Theft of large sums of money from civilians says hi.

While we're on the subject of 40k...remember why the young Techpriests (or whatever they're called) are the conservative ones? They don't live to be old.
Wat?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37