Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103071 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: NSA Leaks -The NSA, they do nothing! Primary assessment: useless
« Reply #1095 on: January 06, 2014, 06:23:06 am »

Moreover, the nuke's bunker is right in the middle of an air force base, and this being a protests, the security forces know about it and a couple thousand police flood the place anyway.

I think the record is someone getting around 50m from the nuclear facility's entrance.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 06, 2014, 06:33:38 am »

Sheb's a pacifist?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 06, 2014, 07:05:09 am »

Who isn't?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 06, 2014, 07:08:08 am »

Well there are pacifists and there are pacifists... There are those that would sit on their couch and when asked would reply with "Oh yea, war is totally a bad thing!" and then when they hear about drone strikes killing innocents just change the tv channel, and then there are those that actually are pacifists.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 06, 2014, 07:11:18 am »

Yeah, so you have people that are active and people that aren't. But they're all still pacifist. I mean, who likes war?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 06, 2014, 07:21:46 am »

Nobody likes war Nobody you'd like to talk to likes war, but that's a far cry from being a pacifist - there's plenty of people (me included) that hold violence to sometimes be a sad necessity, an option that becomes desireable once the alternative becomes unacceptable.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 06, 2014, 03:52:50 pm »

I'd say violence is necessary, but only for places like North Korea. Almost everywhere else, diplomacy is better, and in the personal realm, diplomacy is what I try and do.

Except for bullies. Them I try and destroy.

And even then, I'm a fan of assassination. I'd prefer the guys -actually responsible- get killed, rather than a whole mess of conscripted (or even non-conscripted) troops, and even then, in a war, the king-pin is totally unlikely to get killed unless they lose UTTERLY.

Of course, assassination opens a whole mess of trouble, both domestically and foreign diplomacy.

Though if I had a perfect world, it'd totally be run by benevolent, preference utilitarian AI that take a hands-off approach and discuss everything it'll do before doing it, with a willingness to compromise. With a weighting towards helping those less well off.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 06, 2014, 04:20:20 pm »

Might be better to solve North Korea via diplomacy as well, if that becomes an option.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 06, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »

War is the result of a failure in process for both sides. If you are actually at war you have already lost economically, politically and socially...
As for handling Best Korea, pressure China into harsher economic sanctions and they will fall quickly. You can't run a country when they freeze your bank account. I'm pretty sure the only reason we don't do this is because it would create conflict over who then gets to pick up the pieces.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 06, 2014, 07:22:49 pm »

North Korea would be a case where open violence would be one of the worse options - I'd much rather see increased sanctions and a coup d'etat by the second rank, followed by economic reform after the Chinese model. The coup would probably have to be instigated by the West and China, but we know how to do that; at this point, a few targeted killings may be beneficial, but I doubt they would be necessary or effective.
Syria in 2012, though... Violence from the right side would definitely have helped, and I still maintain that there should have been massive military aid to the rebels by the West. But even there, a coup by the second rank, followed by peace talks between the state and secular rebel groups, swift political reform and massive repression of militant Islamists would have been ideal.
The Bay12 postcard club

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:14 am »

recent interview with E. Snowden

I found a couple of links on youtube, but none of them works in Sweden (either: the uploader has not made the content available in your country, or removed because of copyright issues)

anyone knows a link that works? (outside of of Germany) preferebly in English language?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 27, 2014, 08:25:12 pm »

I found a couple of links on youtube, but none of them works in Sweden (either: the uploader has not made the content available in your country, or removed because of copyright issues)

anyone knows a link that works? (outside of of Germany) preferebly in English language?
German TV has it online here and here, also in English. I assume that these won't work outside of Germany (second link actually says so), so you'll have to try a Proxy or wait a bit until someone puts it up on youtube.

Evil Knievel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:12 am »

German TV has it online here and here, also in English. I assume that these won't work outside of Germany (second link actually says so), so you'll have to try a Proxy or wait a bit until someone puts it up on youtube.

Does not work for me, but thank you.

I'll keep my eyes open.

On another note, GCHQ have to explain themselves to the European Court of Human Rights.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 28, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 83