Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103344 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, XKeyscore - Declassification dump ho! (Giant blocks of blackout)
« Reply #840 on: September 05, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »

Geez, the ride never ends, I guess.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: NSA, PRISM, XKeyscore - Declassification dump ho! (Giant blocks of blackout)
« Reply #841 on: September 05, 2013, 06:11:51 pm »

Geez, the ride never ends, I guess.

Buckle up, we haven't even hit the crest yet.

Personally, I'm waiting for the next Nixon we know is coming to utilize this machinery against different domestic groups and opponents.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 05, 2013, 06:15:57 pm »

So, uh, right now? Or are you looking for something more centralized, for more obvious personal gain?

EDIT: Hopefully an acceptable source, I just did a quick google search and went with something that seemed reputable.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:18:27 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 05, 2013, 08:13:34 pm »

Feds Beg NY Times, Pro Publica Not To Reveal That They've Inserted Backdoors Into Internet Encryption
From the too-fucking-bad department.
:D

Seriously though, it just keeps going deeper and fucking deeper. Makes you wonder just how much stuff Snowden actually made off with. I don't know if I should hope for more or less.
This... is actually really bad. Like, everything else in this thread pales in comparison to this. It undermines basically everything modern society is built upon. Because you know what? I don't give a shit if terrorists knock down a building or two. I do give a shit about the possibility of the entire global economic system being knocked out of commission. This is an agency which can't keep out whistleblowers, let alone an actually malevolent entity from a criminal or spy organization, and they've now wired backdoors which allow pretty much the entire digital economy to be knocked out which are protected only by their being kept secret.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 05, 2013, 08:26:18 pm »

Feds Beg NY Times, Pro Publica Not To Reveal That They've Inserted Backdoors Into Internet Encryption

Seriously though, it just keeps going deeper and fucking deeper. Makes you wonder just how much stuff Snowden actually made off with. I don't know if I should hope for more or less.
This... is actually really bad. Like, everything else in this thread pales in comparison to this. It undermines basically everything modern society is built upon. Because you know what? I don't give a shit if terrorists knock down a building or two. I do give a shit about the possibility of the entire global economic system being knocked out of commission. This is an agency which can't keep out whistleblowers, let alone an actually malevolent entity from a criminal or spy organization, and they've now wired backdoors which allow pretty much the entire digital economy to be knocked out which are protected only by their being kept secret.
When you put it like that...

Jesus, someone fire the heads and put in someone good.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 06, 2013, 12:33:38 am »

When you put it like that...

Jesus, someone fire the heads and put in someone good.
I'd vote NSA and GCHQ to be declared terrorists by now.

Cue incarceration and summary execution. Pitchforks and torches aren't enough anymore.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:24 pm »

I'm still optimistic enough to believe that things will change once all the backdoors and data collection start backfiring. The NSA will be in deep shit when some rogue hacker uses its equipment to undo banking systems.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »

I'm still optimistic enough to believe that things will change once all the backdoors and data collection start backfiring. The NSA will be in deep shit when some rogue hacker uses its equipment to undo banking systems.

Surveillance logic mandates that abuse of surveillance demands more surveillance to stop it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:58 pm »

I don't think I can be anymore, honestly. I'm not reaching for my pitchfork yet, but I think I may have given up on the whole thing going well for the public at large. Best I can do now is spread the word.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 06, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »

Just a caution about spreading the word: Don't rely on "they can", "they could", and "what if" because that's only a step up from abusing ethos and pathos and tends to breed misinformation.  Use what has already happened as an argument point.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 06, 2013, 08:51:49 pm »

In my opinion, "has tended to happen in the past under similar circumstances" also works...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:04 pm »

Just a caution about spreading the word: Don't rely on "they can", "they could", and "what if" because that's only a step up from abusing ethos and pathos and tends to breed misinformation.  Use what has already happened as an argument point.

There are significant arguments that can be made with "they can" and if its a situation where they are actually "incentivized to" it becomes a perfectly argument. When we are dealing with things that are exceptionally dangerous the risks of "they can" become perfectly valid - isn't that the entire reason we don't want Iran to get Nuclear Weapons? Because they could use them?

See, here's the thing - our government is built on "you can't". It has ways to enforce that. Because giving people the  ability to do certain things without sufficient safeguards that they won't AKA giving them something they can do and then trusting them not to is a bad idea in general... doing so while giving them every reason TO and "they could" is a perfectly good argument to make.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 07, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »

Okay sorry for the double post my phone is stupid and wont let me edit posts that long.

"They can" is a perfectly valid for argument for action to insure they cant f we agree the thing they can do is bad.

They equally valid argument against it isn't trying to stop people from saying they can, but demonstrating it would be against their own best interests to do so (or argue that actually they cant)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 07, 2013, 08:36:10 pm »

"What if" is perfectly valid too, esp. in case of intentionally making encryption weak. Vulnerabilities, thanks to NSA, are already there and just waiting for some outsider to be found. And they WILL look hard, now knowing that they exist. Considering how easy nowadays is to build custom numbers-crunching rigs (see BC mining rigs people have), its not that hard to achieve enough computational power to exploit w/e vulnerabilities NSA built in.
And we better ask and prepare for "what if" scenarios now, rather than after some rogue hackers crash world economics.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 07, 2013, 09:44:36 pm »

"What could be" certainly does apply in a lot of situations, but what has already been done is certainly a bit more persuasive than speculation would be. What I see happening in response to this particular bit of news is a rush by software engineers and/or independent actors to come up with new encryption algorithms without these ridiculously counter-intuitive back doors. If that's how it works, my understanding of how these things work isn't what it could be.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:46:30 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 83