Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 83

Author Topic: NSA Leaks - GHCQ in court for violation of human rights  (Read 103302 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Seriously, though, it might be a waste of money, but it's one that's neither destructive nor evil. In fact, I daresay the world is a marginally better place with that replica in it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except that half the country was up in arms about the IRS doing the same thing, demanding heads roll for it.

And the primary purpose it serves is to convince people to increase funding for and loosen restrictions on the NSA.

It is very much evil.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

We need to start a petition to redefine the NSA's core duties. A change from information gathering to Model Enterprise construction seems like a great opportunity.

Who's with me on this one?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I'm skeptical that holding meetings in that room is actually responsible for somebody deciding that the NSA needs more money. It was a setting in which that happened, but I'm reasonably confident that nothing would've changed if meetings were held in a standard board room. The only evil here is the waste of money, but that's kind of my point - it's a better waste of money than anything else we've heard about them spending on.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since the NSA most likely ordered the materials and construction for that replica inside USA it may very well have been a net positive boost to US economy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Since the NSA most likely ordered the materials and construction for that replica inside USA it may very well have been a net positive boost to US economy.
This is my argument for spending money on chips and stuff. "I'm stimulating the economy."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud

This is my argument for spending money on chips and stuff. "I'm stimulating chips and stuff."
FTFY ;)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I wonder how many meetings ended with the phrase "make it so."

Again though, I would probably be at least really tempted to do this myself given the opportunity. It isn't a bad replica either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Yeah... it's cool... but it's also incredibly wrong.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Can you picture him in in the captians seat, instructing the "crew" to bring up images and data on any recent surveylence?

Suddenly I feel like working for the NSA.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be hilarious if there is some mark that said 'Made in China' somewhere...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Can you picture him in in the captians seat, instructing the "crew" to bring up images and data on any recent surveylence?

Suddenly I feel like working for the NSA.
This is the reason the president of the US has a big board, like in Dr. Strangelove. One of them (can't recall which) asked when he was elected if there was a big board room. When they said they didn't, he ordered it built.

Also imagine if you could order Drone strikes from there. Power would go straight to the nerdy head.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hotfire90

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:56:20 pm by Hotfire90 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

NSA (probably) hacked Belgium's largest telecom provider

Malware was inserted into the software, and has been there for 2 years. The extent of the hack is not clear. It's also not clear who did it, but the advanced level of the intrusion eliminates many possibility.

This might become interesting, providing proof is found that the NSA is actually responsible.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

The Brazilian president Dilma Roussef is cancelling a state visit to the US (the first since 1995) over allegations of US espionage. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-24133161. Reuters has something but i haven't read it yet. Any comments from Brazilians? Was this prompted due to public pressure?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 83