Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: You are a Minister of Defense  (Read 6790 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minister of Defense
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »

If we can get them, fine.  Even if they're useless, the ammunition can easily be reused as explosives.

Just doubt they will give us massive amounts of weaponry for free.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »

Even if they won't give us all of them, my hope is that they give us many. Every one rifle we so get is one less we later have to buy. Depending on the number we may adopt a system where everybody gets a rifle after conscription to take home. This way, we only end up with people who can use guns with them, instead of quite possibly increasing violence.

But yeah, buy enough good rifles for the professionals, then take as many of the others as possible.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »

If we can get them, fine.  Even if they're useless, the ammunition can easily be reused as explosives.

Just doubt they will give us massive amounts of weaponry for free.
They use blackpowder which does not have a long stock life. They are no more than a long club which can spew a bullet or mount a bayonet.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:37 pm »

Easy we modify them It should take much work to slowly modify them into single shot bolt actions, even if we replace the whole firing action it would be cheaper then buying weapons or developing our own.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2013, 12:02:54 am »

Canned fish.

Bigger army. What about 150 a month?

Liberators? Well, if they're free, take them all. Gotta teach people how to shoot somehow, even though I am generally not fond of muzzle-loading weapons in WW1 era.

I am assuming the Enforcer is basically an early Lee-Enfield. Since the heavy and light versions cost the same, I'd prefer we go with more of the heavy ones (every shot counts!), but take a battalion's worth of the lighter ones for light infantry/combat engineer types.

Also, as far as vehicles go, I am thinking either M1918 or standard-B Liberty trucks. Either will do, though.

EDIT: Other things we might want (or should look into researching!) would be
- Vickers machine gun
- Jam tin grenade
- Enfield revolver (presumably cheap?) or the Colt New Service  (the replacement) because sidearms are good to have.
- Toffee-apple or Stokes mortar

How about aircraft? Even a small air corps is great for scouting.

ALSO, see if we can sweet-talk our overlords into bringing in some sort of industry, preferably vehicle-related.

EDIT 2: Yes, I am a bit of a history geek. And yes, I am assuming that the Capus Empire is the British Empire.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:29:51 am by Ross Vernal »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2013, 02:41:18 am »

If the Liberator is a 1853 Enfield it would be useful to make a breech loading block, and probably a copy of the Enforcer system though with a larger caliber. If its a smoothbore I would think of making it into a shotgun. Anyway it would be better used as a club or spear with a single shot.

I would actually recommend the other solution: all-carbine force. More mobility, and if you got cover a long gun isn't superior to the carbine by much. Long guns only used by the best shooters of the best, and thus we are training ourselves snipers (or better say Designated Marksmen).

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 10:51:15 pm »

1.Liberators for EVERYONE!

2. Set up voluntary firearms training and marksmanship courses for civilians. Cost: $250,000?

3. See if we can modify the Liberator for breech-loading for use as a second and third-line weapon. Cost: $10,000?

4. Pay draftees $150 a quarter, which should get us three or four brigades.

5. Evaluate the H75 Howitzer in greater detail, seeing as it is new and untested. Cost: $10,000?

6. Evaluate the Storm SMG in greater detail, seeing as it was rejected by Capus. Cost: $10,000?

7. Buy two brigades' worth of Enforcer rifles and Morse machine guns. Cost: $700,000

8. Support the canned fish industry.

9. Look into the availability of sidearms for our troops

10. Do the Enforcers come standard issue with bayonets? If not, request them.

11. Ask about mortars and grenades.

12. Seeing as aircraft by themselves are technically not military equipment, look into their availability from any and all sources.

Total Estimated Budget, Q1: $1.95 Million

Are costs of ammunition and other supplies for our troops abstracted away or not implemented yet?

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2013, 01:59:36 pm »

@Ukranian Ranger: Could you post newly when you edit something in? I didn't even realize the post had been expanded.

My proposal for budget would be as such:
A) Professional Army:
    Raise 2 battalions of professionals, equip them with Enforcer(s) Rifles and the (lighter) Morse Mk. II machine gun.

B) Conscript Army:
    Conscript 8 battalions of uhm... conscripts, equip each of them with Enforcer(s) Rifles and the heavier machine gun.

C) Artillery Support:
    For first fire support and testing, buy two batteries of H75 Howitzers.

Budget:
Budget left for the year9.5m
Plan A: Total1.5m
2 Battalions, Yearly0.4m
2 Enforcer(s) rifle0.5m
4 Morse Mk. II Machine Guns0.6m
Plan B: Total>2.8m
8 Conscripts, Yearly??
8 Enforcer(s) rifle2m
8 Morse Machine Guns0.8m
Plan C: Total1.6m
2 H75 Howitzer1.6m
That leaves us with 3.6m for different programs. By the way, I support Morrigi's 1 (as long as it's everyone sane ;-) )-3, 6, 8, 9-12. Mostly the evaluation questions.
Additionally, that's costs of 400,000 per year.
Unknown still is how much we pay our draftees, but it should be less than the professionals (obviously).

The plan would be for the professional regiments (can we call them Guards?) to present mobile and high-firepower attack formations. Light machine guns and short rifles are good for that. Plus, artillery support.
The conscripts form the main defensive formations. They don't need precise weapons as they aren't that good at shooting, so the short enforcers. No Liberators, as the Enforcers should prove something like a 5-10 factor in efficiency. Additionally, machine guns for defense. Weight is more or less irrelevant for that, but reliability isn't. Therefore, rifles and MGs.
As for artillery, those two batteries are too few. But we just haven't got the budget for more.

I'd also like to construct a big training area. I don't know how big our country is, but I'd like something where we can train several days of advancing or retreating, artillery and so on.

As a finishing note: The normal Enforcer is about as heavy as the LMG! That definitely is a reason to use the short one.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2013, 02:48:19 pm »

I'd also like to construct a big training area. I don't know how big our country is, but I'd like something where we can train several days of advancing or retreating, artillery and so on.

As a finishing note: The normal Enforcer is about as heavy as the LMG! That definitely is a reason to use the short one.
+1 for the training area. We've got to have some amount of unused land.

Whoops, didn't see that. What the hell is the Enforcer made of, lead?!
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2013, 02:52:41 pm »

I think reliable and durable are more important than weight, based on the whole "We want things to actually work." If we end up fighting in adverse conditions and the light machine guns foul up / overheat, they don't become useless, they become harmful.

EDIT: I think "Heavy for a rifle" and "Heavy for a machine gun" are two different things, because a rifle that takes multiple people to carry had best be a seriously powerful rifle. Like anti-armor class.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:56:14 pm by Ross Vernal »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »

I think reliable and durable are more important than weight, based on the whole "We want things to actually work." If we end up fighting in adverse conditions and the light machine guns foul up / overheat, they don't become useless, they become harmful.

EDIT: I think "Heavy for a rifle" and "Heavy for a machine gun" are two different things, because a rifle that takes multiple people to carry had best be a seriously powerful rifle. Like anti-armor class.

One would think. WWI era rifles were relatively uniform in terms of weight at around 4 kilograms. Light machine guns of the era, such as the Lewis gun, weighed around 9 to 14 kilograms with the Lewis being about 13.

In addition, there is no indication whatsoever that the Morse MkII is, in fact, a light machine gun. It is descended directly from the Morse, which is described as a "heavy water-cooled machine gun". This description implies that the Morse is something along the lines of the Maxim gun, weighing in at between 20 and 30 kilograms.

Now, this would make the Morse MkII equivalent to a poorly designed Vickers machine gun, weighing 15-20 kilograms.

For comparison, the PTRS anti-tank rifle weighs about twenty kilograms.

Now, from this we can tell that even a light machine gun (which neither of the available weapons are) will weigh at least twice that of our standard infantry rifle. One would certainly hope this discrepancy is factored in.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2013, 03:25:09 pm »

I meant "light machine gun" as "machine gun that is lightweight", just to clarify. Sorry about that. :P

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2013, 05:11:22 am »

I did not think about that. Thanks for correcting that.
I'm now a bit unsure about the Morse MG, whether to use the Mk. I or Mk. II. While I'd like to use MGs (ultimately) on squad-basis as an LMG, Morrigi's correct that the Morse Mk. II isn't that better. In that case, I'd augment the Plan A to buy only the normal Morse MGs, incidentally decreasing the cost by 0.2m. I still believe we should provide the Guards with at least double the normal MG amounts.

I still believe the Enforcer(s) is superior to the normal Enforcer model for both the Guards and our conscripts (The former being more mobile, the latter unable to use the accuracy).

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:25 pm »

I meant "light machine gun" as "machine gun that is lightweight", just to clarify. Sorry about that. :P
That was directed towards 3_14159 anyway.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:34 pm »

let use the MK 1 for now, it will be a good weapon to give to conscript units to use in the defence.
later we can buy a lighter fast firing MG for the guard.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6