Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: I dream of Chicken and Glass  (Read 9424 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: I dream of Chicken and Glass
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:28 am »

Done all except redownloading DF.  Doing that now.  Still crashes up to this point.

If a clean install fails...

Check Windows Update history. There's a decent chance Microsoft has given you a graphic card update, and that screwed things up. If that's so, you can download the driver from Dell again.

Actually, maybe just download the driver again and install it. For good measure.

For what it's worth, Drivers downloaded from MS are from the manufacturer... Drivers from MS have been MFQR certified for stability and other stuff, so drivers from MS are generally safer.  That being said manufacturers have a nasty habit of trying to code their drivers specifically to fake out MFQR tests.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2013, 11:34:18 am »

Here's my savegame, CognativeDissonance.  I'm exceedingly eager to see if you get the same effect I do.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7707

In my second DF copy, I started a new world, went into adventure mode, punched a badger sow in the face and got mauled.  No issues.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:58 am »

In my second DF copy, I started a new world, went into adventure mode, punched a badger sow in the face and got mauled.  No issues.

Well, the solution to this issue is obvious. Make sure to check that your strength is high enough, and only use a greatsword.
Alternatively, install a DRAGON and use "Breathe Fire" next time. That should avoid the "death" bug.

:P I'll check the savegame after work.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2013, 11:54:44 am »

Hrm.  Well, I didn't have trouble before now, and I don't know specifically if it's the track (Do routes causes crashes if you have multiple routes and carts using the same track?), so I suppose I could just abandon this world and fort and start anew.

A shame, though.  It was turning out so prettily.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 11:57:58 am »

(Do routes causes crashes if you have multiple routes and carts using the same track?)

Could be. Minecarts are still a new feature.
I would suggest some browsing at the bug tracker --> http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »

I think I found the problem.  Emphasis on THINK.

When I load that save, go into routes, and tell them all to use no mine carts, I have four routes that say they have carts, but there's only three actual carts.  I recall one being reported stolen.

Well, might be it.  If I remove the carts from routes, it'll still crash.

So, I'll just reset and go anew.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »

FWIW, I loaded it up and it crashed the instant I unpause. 

Winmerge shows that the raws are unmodified.  Turning off weather, temperature, cave-ins, etc. had no effect.  It still crashes.  When I reload and abandon, it says "Your settlement has been abandoned" indicating no hidden ambushes.  The only odd thing that stands out in Legends mode is "Fimshel Pristineknights the Heliotrope Sister is a male ettin born in -174."  Highest kill count incidentally.  I guess he (she?) is sensitive about that issue.  But yes, Legend mode XML seems to generate normally, which is what I was checking.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 02:59:00 pm by Xob Ludosmbax »

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 02:45:47 pm »

Ok.  So it's good to know it isn't just me.

Yeah, I'm just running the core game.  No mods.  Not even a tile set.  I don't even see the code any more.  Just... blonde, brunette, redhead...

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »

Odd.  I was just working on a new fortress.  Don't even have routes set up yet.  Ran fine for about a year, and now it goes kaput the same as the last did.  I'm not understanding this.  I wonder if my worlds are generating oddly for some reason.  Gonna reload and see if it repeats.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »

I have no idea if this is relevant or not, but maybe try a smaller world or smaller embark?  Another option is to try a world generated by someone else.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »

Ok, on my current fortress.  That spot where it crashed out?  Didn't happen again after loading.  I wonder if the crash is tied to some event that just didn't happen that time through.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2013, 09:40:09 am »

I am still not terribly sure why you are forced to get your drivers through dell.... here is an idea. use nvidia control panel to bring up DF  in its program settings and force df to only use a single GPU. Also i am looking at windows 8 there with loathsome eyes. also nothing can be lost by trying to install nvidia driver releases directly.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2013, 10:11:47 am »

I am still not terribly sure why you are forced to get your drivers through dell.... here is an idea. use nvidia control panel to bring up DF  in its program settings and force df to only use a single GPU. Also i am looking at windows 8 there with loathsome eyes. also nothing can be lost by trying to install nvidia driver releases directly.

With Dell, there is a LOT to loose. I have a friend who's running a pretty nice, but a bit aged, Dell laptop. He loves SWTOR, but it runs poorly, and doesn't play a few graphical features - something I know for sure can be fixed with better drivers. His drives are about 3 years old now. But if you install new drivers? Everything freaks out. Windows sometimes won't load. Every game crashed on load. Windows shuts down alltogether after a short period. Yeah, Dell is stupid like that.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2013, 10:25:14 am »

Heh I still have an ancient (6+ years) dell laptop.  Back when I still used it for gaming I ran into the issue of non-updated drivers from dell.  After some research I learned that all nvidia cards use the same drivers (new updates apply to all cards, even older ones).  I ended up getting some drivers anyway from somewhere other than dell, I think maybe they had been modified to enable them on older cards or something.  Ended up working fine.  It was the sort of situation where the dell drivers were several years out of date despite there being many updates available.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2013, 10:40:40 am »

Heh I still have an ancient (6+ years) dell laptop.  Back when I still used it for gaming I ran into the issue of non-updated drivers from dell.  After some research I learned that all nvidia cards use the same drivers (new updates apply to all cards, even older ones).  I ended up getting some drivers anyway from somewhere other than dell, I think maybe they had been modified to enable them on older cards or something.  Ended up working fine.  It was the sort of situation where the dell drivers were several years out of date despite there being many updates available.

Try ATI drivers. They are evil. EVIL.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7