Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: I dream of Chicken and Glass  (Read 9431 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Re: I dream of Chicken and Glass
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

I'd zip tie an always on fan, and see if it made a difference... even the best thermal goop only does so much.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 06:48:50 pm »

If he can run a full 3D game on full settings and not bork the card, he's right that it probably isn't thermally related.

Next on the mental checklist is the addition of any 3rd party openGL or SDL libraries living in the %systemroot%/system/win32 folder. Those can cause the "dll hell" problem, which might be what is casing the nvidia driver to crash, as per the dxdiag report.

Some games like to treat the computer like it's their little bitch, and do stupid things like that.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10:13 pm »

Except the fans are running when full 3D games are going... While playing DF, they are only passively cooling...

You would think his card manufacturer would use temperature thresh holds for determining when to activate fans, but If they were dumb, they could be like... "We only need to run the fans for 3D animation" or "Only turn the fan on if it rises 10 degrees in 2 seconds"

That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:15 am »

I'd bet it's thermal related. More precisely, long ignored thermal problems. Caked thermal paste between the chip and the heatsink, poor circulation in the case, dust, too high clocks without proper cooling hardware.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 10:17:27 am »

I'd bet it's thermal related. More precisely, long ignored thermal problems. Caked thermal paste between the chip and the heatsink, poor circulation in the case, dust, too high clocks without proper cooling hardware.

I noted in a previous post that I've very recently had the thermal paste reapplied to both CPU and both GPUs.  That's covered.  I have not overclocked.

I'm trying a different concept with my latest fortress. I'm running a minecart track through every level of the fortress and trying to make it so that most everything is simply shipped along this line, rather than tie up haulers.  In example, every flight has a four-way minecart intersection, where north heads up to the next Z level, south leads to the lower Z level, and left and right go to each branch.  At this intersection, I have two piles.  One for stone and ore, and another for refuse.  A refuse cart goes through fairly frequently, and corpses and trash go on the cart.  So and and so on until the cart comes out topside.  There it is dumped on a trash/corpse pile.  When I have a bonesmith area set up, there will be another cart here for pickup.  That same rail also gathers wood topside and delivers it to the wood section of my industrial floor.

Shortly, when my food and booze production area is set up, my farms, butcher station, and fish station will deliver directly to my kitchens, plant processing, and stills.

I've even got a topside thing figured out.  The main issue, I was thinking, was securing the front door, so to speak, when a rail runs through it.  I believe I have a solution.  Since it is a ramp, I can have a drawbridge lowered that can cover the hole of the ramp without actually contacting any rail sections.  I'm going to place a small tower topside as well for crossbowmen.

Should be pretty fun.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 10:26:43 am »

Ok, now I'm seeing something odd.  For whatever reason, on my current fortress, the game's crashing out if I play more than a few minutes.  This wasn't even happening before.  Is there something buggy about rail lines that cause problems?

#EDIT:  Going to try running it bit and bit and keep saving until it gets past whatever is making it crash out like that.  If it is something with the rail carts.  At the very least it'll give me a better idea of what it is the game is suddenly not liking.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:31:48 am by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:03 am »

May I chime in again for the IT stuff? :D I'm a very much so amateur, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve.

This sounds a LOT like driver issues. I have learned everything there is to know with my last ATI card, and my friend's ATI-powered DELL laptop. This is what was happening to him due to driver incompatibility - I installed a newer, better, faster driver from ATI and it would just... die when running anything.

Also, similar stuff happened when my installation for an NVIDIA card was corrupted. I couldn't really get it up to speed, but I was about to replace the computer anyways...

Check your video drivers. Sometimes, an odd release will screw up a random feature. For one, the game uses a strange refresh mechanic. From what I know, the 2D drawing mode actually draws on the video card through the OpenGL, while Standard does NOT use OpenGL. I learned about this recently, while trying to get FRAPS to capture screenshots from DF.
I guess this could also be an OpenGL issue, but I am uncertain as to what this entails.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:33 am »

I suppose I can leave it full screen but take it off standard.  See what that does.

#EDIT:  Ok.  Put it on 2D and left it full screen.  Ran it, crashed out again.  It's very sudden.

#EDIT2:  My videocards are a pair of Geforce 280Ms in SLI mode.  As I'm sure you're aware, with alienware laptops, it also has an onboard video system that means I absolutely HAVE to get my drivers through Dell as NVidia's drivers refuse to install on it because of that onboard system.

Dell's drivers are almost three years old.  I contacted their support about that, years ago, and was told, "Those drivers are perfectly fine."  Feh.

So I've been using laptopvideo2go's site, using INF modded drivers.  I haven't had a serious issue.  And I'll stress again that I can run seriously graphic intensive games without issue.

#EDIT3:  NEVER buy alienware, kids!  Michael Dell is the devil.

#EDIT4:  I've saved-advanced-saved-advanced far enough to where the game now crashes out almost as soon as I unpause.  I'll look around and see if I can see anything odd either happening or about to happen.

There's no dumplog.txt or anything I can check?

#EDIT5:  Ok, not seeing anything unusual happening.  I dug around and found an errorlog.txt.  All it's noting, I think, is a double tagged limestone block.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:50:40 am by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 10:50:37 am »

A few quick thoughts:

- Run the game in compatibility mode
- Run the game as administrator

Could you post your init.txt in a [ code ] tag? [ /code ]

EDIT: Also that errorlog.txt. have you done any RAW modifications?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:44 am »

Sure.

My init.ini:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And error log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suspect that error log isn't for just this round alone, as I've hit no gabbro at all.  Limestone, yes.  I have no mill station up yet.

#EDIT:  Games' already being run as administrator.  I've done compat mode before but aren't now.  Will do that real quick.

#EDIT2: Compat mode also crashes out with two different settings.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:56:05 am by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:15 am »

Sure.

A few thoughts:
Code: [Select]
These settings can have a significant impact on frame rate, especially for people that have slow frame rates on the title screen.  Available modes are 2D,
2DSW, 2DASYNC, STANDARD, PARTIAL:<number>, ACCUM_BUFFER, FRAME_BUFFER and VBO. The number after PARTIAL refers to how many frames it will redo
a printed tile before skipping it, so you might try increasing it a bit if you have flickering when PARTIAL is set.  Please note that any of these combinations might
cause frame rates to drop significantly or cause unpleasant side effects like flickering.

Try 2DSW. I assume this means software, and your CPU should be able to handle that nicely. I don't know what 2DASYNC is, maybe try that too.

Decrease FPS to 50, see if that helps. I've had really odd glitches with FPS in other games.

Along with my previous suggestions, try running windows update and check the optional page.

EDIT: On a hunch... try generating a new world and playing there.

Lastly, try a clean install in a separate folder and see if that makes a difference.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:48 am »

Done all except redownloading DF.  Doing that now.  Still crashes up to this point.

#EDIT:  Downloaded DF into a new folder.  Copied save over.  Changed INI to make it full screen as the other.  Still crashes out in the exact same spot.

#EDIT2:  Interestingly, this second run through and crash out doesn't generate an errorlog.txt.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:07:39 am by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 11:05:25 am »

Done all except redownloading DF.  Doing that now.  Still crashes up to this point.

If a clean install fails...

Check Windows Update history. There's a decent chance Microsoft has given you a graphic card update, and that screwed things up. If that's so, you can download the driver from Dell again.

Actually, maybe just download the driver again and install it. For good measure.

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:29 am »

Nope.  Last windows updates done were four days ago.  And last night I was playing hours on end with no issue.  I don't think this crash out is graphics related.  I think it's something with the game itself.  I bet I could, in example, kill the save on copy 2 of DF and run in adventure mode with no trouble.

#EDIT: Any way I can attach a zip of my world and save and see if anyone here can replicate my crash?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:11:53 am by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:15 am »

Nope.  Last windows updates done were four days ago.  And last night I was playing hours on end with no issue.  I don't think this crash out is graphics related.  I think it's something with the game itself.  I bet I could, in example, kill the save on copy 2 of DF and run in adventure mode with no trouble.

#EDIT: Any way I can attach a zip of my world and save and see if anyone here can replicate my crash?

Sure is. Go to data > save > find your world (same name as in game)

zip it

Upload to
http://dffd.wimbli.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7