Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: I dream of Chicken and Glass  (Read 9416 times)

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I dream of Chicken and Glass
« on: May 27, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »

I wake up in the morning, rested, but groggy.  The coffee machine, cunningly prepared, is present and patient with its product heated nicely and waiting for me.  I read the morning news as I drink.  The mug is a clumsily made ceramic one depressingly without adornment.  It does not menace with spikes of dingo leather.  It will have to suffice.

As the final collections of brain cells in my head get their recuperative dose of caffeine, some malevolent force reaches through my skull and taps my brain.  I look up, and the ! is there.  Thankfully, I am already at my workstation and have no need of throwing someone out of it.  The family has long since tired of this.

Now.  What do I need?  The vision in my head is quite clear.  Traders, trudging unhappily through a godless, scorching desert.  Fatigue.  Hunger.  Thirst.  Misery.  They crest another dune, and then they see.  They see the labors of my vision.  They see a field of green.  Green of nothing living, but green of glass.  Glass traps, frequent and scattered like life, but lurking dangerously with clusters of large serrated discs made of green glass.  As they draw nearer, they are attacked by the smells.  Fried chicken.  Chicken, masterfully prepared with a saute of Plump Helmets and served on a bed of Quarry Bush leaves.  Of legendary beers served in legendary green glass mugs that menace happily with green glass spikes.

I start Dwarf Fortress, and I begin.  I choose my provisions carefully and embark.

A small hill would make for an ideal entrance, I think.  I tunnel in and plan out where the depot will go, and where I will create a hollow to fill with chicken nest boxes.

My screen goes dark.  My monitor turns off.  Already I entertain the thought of stripping down and running about, gibbering.  What is this madness?  I reboot and try again.  Again I'm not far along and the screen goes dark, and the monitor turns off.  Fear consumes me.

I change the options.  Compatibility mode, I think, though I would think DF would run better under Windows 8 than on older versions.  More resources.  Admin mode, compatibility mode.  I try again.  I site the first nest boxes and the screen goes dark and the monitor turns off.  I reboot.  I try a new compatibility mode.  I'm making my first green glass serrated discs when the screen goes dark and the monitor turns off.

I have run out of options.  Clearly, this is an issue with my machine and something with this game.  I can play others without interruption.  I have logged many an hour on Borderlands 2.  But that is a world without green glass for me.  There is no chicken.

I am out of ideas.  I know not what to do next.  Do I whack and reload, reinstalling everything?  I have the time, but probably not the will.  What if the issue remains, regardless?  I know not the cause.

I ask you all for help.  What can I do to better nail down this problem, to at least find the cause, that I might consider a fix? 

I have a DXDIAG log available but cannot attach it.  I will copy and paste and place in the next post.

~Whackers

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I dream of Chicken and Glass
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »

I will truncate nonrelevant sections for brevity purposes.  If there's a section you require, let me know.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/27/2013, 14:18:56
       Machine name: REDMONSTER
   Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130410-1505)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
       System Model: M17x         
               BIOS: Ver A03 1.00PARTTBLZ
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q9300  @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
          Page File: 2073MB used, 14308MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 280M
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
        Device Type: Full Device
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060A&SUBSYS_02A11028&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 4063 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 991 MB
      Shared Memory: 3071 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (30Hz)
       Monitor Name: Acer B273HU
      Monitor Model: Acer B273HU
         Monitor Id: ACR0091
        Native Mode: 2048 x 1152(p) (59.909Hz)
        Output Type: HDMI
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.2000 (English)
     Driver Version: 9.18.13.2000
        DDI Version: 10
     Feature Levels: 10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
 Compute Preemption: DMA
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 4/19/2013 00:24:21, 15135152 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-454A-11CF-4874-AC221FC2C435}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x060A
          SubSys ID: 0x02A11028
        Revision ID: 0x00A2
 Driver Strong Name: oem3.inf:23f60d05eb67cab6:Section103:9.18.13.2000:pci\ven_10de&dev_060a
     Rank Of Driver: 80E02001
        Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
        DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT  DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT 
   Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX

---------------
Diagnostics
---------------

Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket -700010357, type 5

Event Name: PnPDriverImportError

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: x64

P2: E000024B

P3: nvwin.inf

P4: a880eaece2ee70cda73ffbf5e20038fd883d5712

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket -714956810, type 5

Event Name: PnPDriverImportError

Problem signature:

P1: x64

P2: E000024B

P3: nvtsq.inf

P4: b3ff4a621c9af11bbea796fd995116ea34e9d342

+++ WER2 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Problem signature:

P1:

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:37 pm »

In the meantime, I will continue on.  I will save every two minutes.  I see no other option.

My creation must see life.

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »

In the meantime, I will continue on.  I will save every two minutes.  I see no other option.

My creation must see life.

I wish I could help you bud, for the way in which you introduced this thread topped nearly every other OP I've ever seen. Best of luck to you with that good sir!
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 01:59:14 pm »

Much appreciated!

I am trying again.  I have greatly lowered the resolution of my monitor, in the hopes that might help.  It annoys me, but if my new home of ClearedChannels survives, it'll be worth it.

Sure beats streaking around and gibbering at the neighbors.  Less paperwork.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 02:00:49 pm »

You have attracted my attention with this!
It is intriguing. I shall watch.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:20 pm »

Update.  After making the screen resolution depressingly small, I have noticed two differences.  First, the monitor has not shut off on me yet, though it is yet quite early.  It may yet.

And second, I notice with no small delight that, with a very low resolution and a large monitor, that both my retinas are now toasting evenly.  It is pleasant.

ClearedChannels is still just beginning.  The area is rife with nice yellow sand.  A few tepid pools.  And, surprisingly, about one foot of snow overtop everything.  While not the scorching environs of my vision, it will still suffice, as it'll make the inbound traders uncomfortable anyway.

The chickens and glass-to-be persevere.

#EDIT:  The first Chicken Hive has been built and has nestboxes.  Eggs already appear through the usual process and the Dwarves have been forbidden from collecting and eating them.  As we've embarked with extra food and alcohol, there is no grumbling.

Unprepared chicken eggs are distasteful and undwarflike.  I expect no problems.

And to my delight, there are treelike cactuses that readily make nice charcoal.  As a result the first batch of green glass serrated discs are being produced.  My troupe is skeptical;   Though all Dwarves like to admire a fine trap, one expects his or her murder-machine of interest to be made with implements of fine metal.  Or wood, for the irony-minded Dwarf, who soon expects unwelcome Elfen company.  I have made promises of performance.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:22:48 pm by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:25:10 pm »

If I interprete correctly, the game causes your monitor/video output to shut down? Does it crash the rest of the system with it?

A few possible things to try:
- Change the print_mode in init.txt (you find that in data/init/)

Code: [Select]
By and large, 2D should be the most reliable, while STANDARD has a good combination of speed and reliability. However, all 2D modes are normally far slower than even STANDARD, which may be the slowest OpenGL mode.

On a multi-core machine none of this is very likely to matter; stick to 2D.

2DASYNC may be slightly more responsive than 2D on a multi-core machine, but this has recently become doubtful due to improvements to the other modes.

Linux/OS X users may also use PRINT_MODE:TEXT for primitive ncurses output.

- Remove ANY graphics and tilesets, if anything is installed. Make sure to reset the init.txt file.

- Redownload the game, to accomodate for accidentally bugged files. Copy data/save folder over to the new instal.

- Move the game to a new hard drive. If this works, your hard drive should be writing obituaries.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:28:14 pm »

goddamnit rose i cant read this
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 02:30:00 pm »

I shall do this immediately.  What options do I have, as far as what to replace it with?  I am not familiar with this process.

My hard disk is a solid state drive.  It is well over three years old and has proven to be exceedingly and surprisingly reliable.  I've never had an access error or any other issue.  As of yet, anyway.

#EDIT:  My query is proven to be foppish.  The options are listed.  Question happily withdrawn!  Will test and return results.

#EDIT2: Seems I was already set on 2D.  I have changed this to STANDARD just to test.  Also, I have enabled fullscreen mode.  With me luck.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:34:05 pm by Whackjob »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 02:33:40 pm »

I shall do this immediately.  What options do I have, as far as what to replace it with?  I am not familiar with this process.

My hard disk is a solid state drive.  It is well over three years old and has proven to be exceedingly and surprisingly reliable.  I've never had an access error or any other issue.  As of yet, anyway.

Spoiler: SSD aside (click to show/hide)

I think I see your problem. Three year old SSD's may have immature file processing capabilities, and disc-heavy applications sometimes fail for no apparent reason.
Only if this is not a system drive, just in case...
If I'm right, and I remember correctly, you need to:
- Clean up to (or over) 50% of the disc. You need that free space, as older search algorithms did not cope well with low memory
- Run maintenance software. Should have come with the disc, or be available on the manufacturer's side (will take 2-15 minutes)

Try changing it to PRINT_MODE: STANDARD, that might help

Lastly, do consider moving it to a different hard drive

EDIT On another node, for things like DXDIAG, consider using the CODE tag [ CODE ] without the spaces. This makes it easier to read, and makes it a scrollable sub-window.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:44:03 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:49:23 pm »

Results so far.  Fullscreen mode I find slightly disorienting.  Squares are now square.  But my Dwarves now have the appropriate beards.  An acceptable tradeoff.  No failure yet.  I almost have my first batch of ten green glass serrated discs.  I have initial housing, immigrant barracks, and dining hall planned out.  I have but one miner at the moment, but he is becoming highly skilled and proficient.

Food stocks are lowering.  I examined my hunter/gatherer, and it seems while he has a nicely stocked quiver, he has no crossbow.  Perhaps he was planning on hurling them like darts.  I force my broker to dabble in crossbow construction and my hunter/gatherer is now armed.  He rewarded my attention by deciding to fish.  I halfway hope he reels in one of many logs that fell into the pool when the ground thawed and made a mockery of my lumber stockpile.

I've seen more than one Dwarf look askance at both the dwindling food pile, and the nest boxes.  I have again forbidden the Dwarves from eating the eggs.  I am now hearing grumbling.  I have promised both that the eventual hammerer will have a lead cudgel, and that my memory of transgression is long.

#EDIT: The SSD I have DF on is also the one my primary OS is running on.  That is the source of my skepticalness regarding its quality;  nothing has given me failures other than DF.  I do not suspect the drive as much as I do the arrangement that Alienware has with video cards and ancient drivers.  I have .inf modded drivers and they are reasonable updated.  I have cursed Michael Dell.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 02:55:27 pm »

Glad to hear it's working! My own experience with full screen has been poor, and the only time the game crashed on me. If you want the squares to be square, just look at the font (for example, is it 12x12?) and make sure the resolution is a multiple of those numbers (such as 1200x900)

Good luck, you should DEFINITELY consider doing a play-along in the community games! [LINK]

Whackjob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 03:02:44 pm »

Thank you.  I will consider it.  In the mean time, out of pure amusement, I will convert this thread from whats-this-bug to how's-ClearedChannels-doing.  Provided no more problems, hardware-wise, come.  I expect its history to be both interesting and short.

The first batch of migrants have arrived.  I can now designate a second miner.  I do not know if I have a second pick.  I've got no metals as of yet.  I have neither dug greedily, nor too deep. 

I think I'll start farming operations as well.  We can subsist off of quarry bush leaves until the chickens beef up their numbers to merit occasional slaughter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 03:06:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have no idea if I can help you, but the OP was so nicely made it deserves tribute:

Now this is a story all about how,
My strange mood dreamed made me a clown,
And I'd like to save my game
And think right there,
I'll type you how I became merchant of glorious chicken ware.

I claim several processors, computers acclaimed,
Typing ASCII, that's where I've mastered GUI's ablaze,
Spillin' out macros and taxing all thoughts
And all setting some boxes up for all I brought,
When a couple of bugs, doing what they would,
Started doing things I barely understood,
I got into one little crash and I got scared
I said I'll savescum it till I've got green glass chicken wares.

I whittled down some words and sent them to bay
12 the OP was spicy and a whack to be clear,
If anything I could say that this thread was rare
but I thought now, it'd be fixed by the year!

I woke up to some caffeine and I yelled to my family
THIS DESK'S MINE, GO AWAY, DON'T BE A HATER
Looked at my Fortress
It was finally there
Paved in green glass
With glorious fried chicken wares.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7