Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Least productive game development  (Read 8523 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least productive game development
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »

Nethack. I keep waiting for the next version, but it never seems to come :-(

Hasn't Nethack development been officially defunct for ages? Or am I thinking of that webcomic based on it?

The webcomic did die eventually, but I'm pretty sure the DevTeam never officially disbanded.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »

Kerbal Space program, Though they've admitted themselves that they're probably spending too much time on details which take to long to do and aren't important at this stage, and will be changing that in the future.
Magma is overrated.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »

Overgrowth by Wolfire. I seriously doubt they can even produce a finished game at this point.

http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth
I would have to disagree with you. Sure, the game's been in development for many years now, but they are making progress. Heck, they're putting out new builds every week! They're also going with the proper naming of alpha/ beta development, so they're probably staying in alpha until the majority of gameplay is added.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2013, 03:37:27 am »

the main problem is that they're asking 30 bucks for that alpha build. Not cool, wolfire, not cool.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 03:39:00 am »

Incursion.  :'(
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27:27 am »

Everything considered ? Minecraft.

Not sure how it is presently but back in the day it was like Notch was afraid to mess with the game for fear of it unpopularizing itself or something, so he added nothing...
How far back are you talking about here? Do you remember secret update Fridays?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2013, 06:29:45 am »

I really have to say castle story here :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 07:01:04 am »

When Introversion were making Subversion.
~6 years to get a heavily jury-rigged, single level demonstration of gameplay.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 08:18:20 am »

*insert obligatory HL3 joke here.*

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2013, 08:25:46 am »

Hmm... S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl? The first announcements of that was all the way back in 2001, eventually to be released in 2007 and still without a lot of what they had planned. You can see a whole series of development builds on Youtube that are rather interesting, showing many of the designs they came up with and what they had to cut from the finished game.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 10:04:50 am »

Since this is about game development i would like to nominate Lucasarts. When was last time they made a good game? They literally dug themselves a hole which turned them into a shell company for today.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

Since this is about game development i would like to nominate Lucasarts. When was last time they made a good game? They literally dug themselves a hole which turned them into a shell company for today.
well they don't make games anymore after disney bought them EA is doing the star wars games now.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 10:38:56 am »

well they don't make games anymore after disney bought them EA is doing the star wars games now.
Well aware of that but look at their history, their last good game that i remember was Force Unleashed and even that didnt satisfied me enough.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 11:08:00 am »

Well aware of that but look at their history, their last good game that i remember was Force Unleashed and even that didnt satisfied me enough.

It is because what they were GREAT at suffered a market crash.

I consider anything released After KQ6 to be in the death of point and click adventures.

Mind you they weren't dead, dead. Though it is a largely misunderstood genre given the sheer number of people who just outright say it is terrible and link the Gabriel Knight 3 article.

I'd actually put 80-90% of the complaints as "I don't know what to do". Of which I have no sympathy. It requires you to retune your own brain, literally the goal in point and clicks is to put yourself on the same wavelength of the world itself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5