Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Least productive game development  (Read 8530 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Least productive game development
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »

The game Planeshift was in development in 2000, and still lists itself as incomplete.  Progress is being made (as far as I can tell) but it's been going on a while.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 03:54:21 pm »

Noctis V, it's been in development since late 2001 and as far as I know it's about as vapourware as games get.But I'll keep waiting because I love Noctis.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 04:04:15 pm »

I just have to toss in Grimoire, by the legendary Cleve Blakemore.   Over 17 years in development, and MAY actually be released.  Sometime. Probably.  Maybe...

"Thus ends the greatest crowd funding campaign in human history that did not actually meet any of it’s funding goals. I have been filled with renewed vigor by this failure to raise any significant sums of money and am more determined than ever to get Grimoire out as soon as I possibly can."

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=24394  A little bit of the backstory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDyXSCd2Lp0  - over the top video for the indiegogo, there are 2 more ranting updates since then, the last 4 months ago.  Although he did post an update on the indiegogo page about 2 weeks ago...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 04:06:21 pm »

Was Warcraft 4 actually announced? This thread isn't exactly about stuff that's expected but not known to be worked on. It's more about people we know are working on something, with a project that's been made public, but progress just seems to be...... slow...

I'm going to put forth Kinetic Void, whose interface and overall gameplay actually seem to have become slightly worse!

Also, Starfarer, now Starsector, which was due to be released in 2011, and still only marginally has a campaign mode.

Agreed on Survivors of Ragnarok and on Project Zomboid. They're been working on it tons, but it doesn't seem to develop a lot. I'm hoping they've been readying the engine for making implementing new features much easier, but their lack of experience shows quite a bit.

I mean, compare that with the development speed of Maia, for instance. The devs' experience is clearly noticeable, and we've seen far too many amateurs making their projects public and asking for money before they've shown that they can achieve it.

This is not only a problem with the developers themselves, but with the consumers. We should not support projects from people with little to no credentials, history or experience. I guess the first step is to understand that a game's basic gameplay is easy to hack together in not-too-long, but that things grind to a halt when lack of experience makes adding new features nigh-impossible.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:54 pm »

Was Warcraft 4 actually announced? This thread isn't exactly about stuff that's expected but not known to be worked on. It's more about people we know are working on something, with a project that's been made public, but progress just seems to be...... slow...
I know, but it was the only thing I could really think of and actually care about.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:44 pm »

This is not only a problem with the developers themselves, but with the consumers. We should not support projects from people with little to no credentials, history or experience

I don't know for SOME (not all) of these there is no problem, it is just that development is slow because development is slow.

It really shows why some companies do not announce games until they have a firm grasp of when they will be completed and actually have things to show. For example The Sims 3 was announced 2008, released in 2009, and was in development since 2004.

That is a 5 year development cycle.

It is why a lot of developers who do the Kickstarter basically have to become entertainers and learn exactly how to develop their game to appease a fanbase (others, make sure their game is finished to an extent before putting it into kickstarter).

It is why I'd defend Overgrowth as just a game that is ambitious but not unproductive. I wouldn't however extend the same courtesy to any of Notch's projects though.

Perhaps we can get Neonivek to post a "Most productive game development" thread and have a full on opposites day!

:o

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 04:21:48 pm »

http://goldeneragames.com/

If it hasn't been mentioned, I sure am excited for my game from 1995!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 04:22:41 pm »

Zomboid doesn't seem to be developing because they keep doing revamps. First lighting, then map structure, then their data structure, then sprites, then animations....

I mean if you played a lot of Zomboid near release, the game now is quite different structurally. Unfortunately, the actual gameplay hasn't really gone anywhere.

I feel like there is a dev house I should be harping on, but none come to mind right now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »

I hate to sound condescending but there is this one game and Dev group that are really slow. Yeah they have released updates for their game but it just keeps going and going and going and they say that its all on the shoulders of the one guy hogging all the code work. Heck its still in Beta or heck Late Alpha and its been out for like nearly 10 years or such. The Graphics are basic if anything but I guess that's cause the Dev group want to keep it OldSkool yet their Community keeps releasing Graphic packs for some reason...

Talking about Community, that's the only thing that keeps this game alive, these diehard fans of this game DONATE money for an unfinished game time and time again even up to the 10k+ mark when they release a large update. Thank god its modable to a degree else things would get boring very quickly. Even after you get past the learning curve...

Also the Gaps between updates, so long, one went for nearly a year without even anything like an update and even then it was something tiny such as a new item or a slight change in UI, which can give people headaches just trying to understand...

Clearly I am talking/joking about Dwarf Fortress itself, but I ain't hating on it so don't be stupid and fall for the Trollbait that has been POORLY put in front of you...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »

Nethack. I keep waiting for the next version, but it never seems to come :-(
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »

Nethack. I keep waiting for the next version, but it never seems to come :-(

Hasn't Nethack development been officially defunct for ages? Or am I thinking of that webcomic based on it?
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You joke, but I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw this thread.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 05:18:02 pm »

Everything considered ? Minecraft.

Not sure how it is presently but back in the day it was like Notch was afraid to mess with the game for fear of it unpopularizing itself or something, so he added nothing...

Now it's mostly block recolors. Block recolors are still around the top of the list of "new features" with every release.

ADDED FEATURES:

Added new stained hardened clay
    Enabled access to the donkey & mule inventories by sneaking and interacting
    New textures for Charcoal, Coal Block, and Lapis Lazuli
    Made mobs spawn as groups again

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2013, 06:09:27 pm »

Spore. It should be placed first because of the sheer negativity of its development. DF, Overgrowth and Minecraft are sloooooooowly upgrading, but Spore went a good negative fifteen in development speed between 2005 and 2008.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5