Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Sappho Experiments On Herself - And You! [Summer Vacation!]  (Read 39834 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Vitamin B12 Month]
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2013, 06:14:24 am »

B12 overdoses are mostly harmless though. Only midly increases the risk of cancer, and that's about it IIRC.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 07:53:25 am »

Yeah, taking B12 isn't going to do me any harm. If it doesn't work after a month I can stop taking it and save myself a trip to the doctor (which means saving myself a missed day of work, important at the moment because I'm already missing a few days of work to deal with my visa and I don't get paid when I don't work). If it helps, I can see the doctor at the end of the month and get properly assessed and determine a specific course of action.

I got the pills, making some lunch now and then I'll try them out. I keep hearing that these supplements are expensive, but a little more than a month's supply only cost me 155 kc (about $8). If that's the price per month for mental clarity after years of brain fog, I call that a good deal. And if I end up needing them long-term, I'm sure I can buy in bulk and save money. Fingers crossed!

Spoiler: Sunday notes (click to show/hide)

Got a spreadsheet ready to track my progress. I'll print a bunch of copies at work tomorrow and start keeping track. Today I've got permanent brain fog and fatigue but that's nothing new. Will keep more careful track starting tomorrow. Here is the blank form, in case anyone is interested or wants to try this themselves: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05468775545156567127
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:46:25 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 10:45:27 am »

Couldn't print the spreadsheet at work due to the printer being out of toner, but I realized I could fit all that information on a 1/4 sheet of paper if I did it by hand and then just keep it in my pocket, so I did that instead. I'll try to make a more compact version of the chart on the computer and hopefully print it tomorrow. Here's the scan of the first sheet so far. I'll scan it again tomorrow when it's complete.

In case you can't read my tiny, messy handwriting and abbreviations, the left-hand column reads: drowsy/fatigue; energy; brain fog; confused; focus; irritated/angry; anxiety/panic; calm; memory (+/-); concentration (+/-); hallucination; depression; euphoria. Along the top are the hours of the day starting with when I woke up (5:00). The bottom left has the description of the weather (rainy, cold, dark), which is always relevant to my mood. There are also some notes on the bottom for specific hours (the two on there now say "dizzy").

Once I get this going on the computer properly, I will upload computer-made charts that are readable.

A few of these symptoms might require explanations. First, for the negative symptoms, I also tried to include the positive opposite extreme. If I'm feeling at a normal, non-extreme level, I needn't write down anything. I think most people know what "brain fog" is. If you haven't heard this term, you've probably experienced it at some point. If you've ever had a sinus infection, think of that distant, fuzzy sort of feeling in your head, where you can't quite seem to connect with the world, almost like you're walking through a dream. It can come from many sources, including drowsiness, stress, various drugs, and of course, vitamin B12 deficiency. I have had seemingly permanent brain fog for a year or more now.

Memory and concentration are both listed with a (+/-), meaning I should indicate deficiency or difficulty with a - and above-average function with a +. Memory is hard to rate, so I'm just marking something down if there is a particular reason to do so (can't remember something, surprised by remembering great detail of something). Hallucination is a broad term referring to all types of visual abnormalities not easily explainable. I seem to have HPPD (look it up), so I regularly see things in the world warping or moving when they are still. I also see things out of the corner of my eye that turn out not to be there. This morning, for example, I saw a large black spider crawling up the white wall, and when I looked there was nothing on the wall. Then as I was walking down the stairs to leave my apartment building, I saw a cluster of bumblebees on the railing, but when I looked directly at it there was nothing there. This is probably a combination of sleepiness, stress, and HPPD, but it can also be caused by B12 deficiency, so I will be tracking it.

If I don't have time to fill in the form as things happen and later on I'm less than 100% sure of what I was experiencing, I will simply leave an hour blank rather than guessing. I have a tendency to project my current mood back on my memories, even very recent ones, and I could very easily skew my results in this way.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:31:09 pm by Sappho »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 11:09:46 am »

... I wasn't even thinking in a B12 overdose. I was just thinking that carrying on unusual diets without any kind of oversight is a bad idea.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:01 am »

Thinking about it more and more, it occurs to me that if I do take the B12 for a month and it does help, if I go for tests after that I will no longer have a deficiency even if I have one now, meaning I won't have any way of knowing for sure whether it was the vitamins that helped.

I've just looked at the hospital web site and it seems I can visit the doctor on the weekend, although it's likely the English-speaking doctor will be out, so I will have to go to the emergency room and see a doctor who doesn't speak English. If I prepare myself ahead of time with appropriate Czech vocabulary, though, I should be okay. I will plan to go on Saturday after Taiji training (early afternoon) with a list of my symptoms and specifically request tests for my thyroid and my B12 levels. I doubt they'd have a problem with that, although it will almost certainly not be covered by my insurance.

So until then, I will put the B12 experiment on hold. I will continue tracking my symptoms, however, as it can't hurt to have the information ready, and it might be helpful to the doctors. Here is yesterday's, complete. I will scan them as they are finished rather than having half-filled forms floating around.

Spoiler: Tuesday 28.05.13 Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:28:45 pm by Sappho »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 05:18:25 pm »

That is a level of note-taking I will never be able to replicate.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2013, 04:18:53 am »

It takes a level of obsession and a systematic personality. : )

Good news and bad news. Good is that I wasn't imagining it or making excuses - I really was sick. Bad news is, seems I got food poisoning, not sure exactly from what. Anyone who's ever had food poisoning will know why that's such terrible news. Didn't sleep at all the whole night, horrible pain in my stomach like I was being stabbed, spent most of the night in the bathroom where my dinner decided to evacuate my stomach in two opposite and equally unpleasant directions. I seem to be recovering finally, but I haven't slept, had to call out of work, and haven't eaten anything that actually stayed in me since lunch yesterday. I'm keeping down some water and a bit of sports drink now to fight dehydration, might get brave and try some solid food soon. But I feel like a pile of shit, so I'm excusing myself from taking notes today. Will probably just lie in bed, although my joints are getting sore from being in bed for 12 hours already...

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2013, 05:33:34 am »

Eeurgh. You have my sympathy; the stomach-stabs ain't fun. Looking back at your previous post...started just before dinner? Something at lunch then. I'd look askance at that chicken. Cafeteria food. Might wanna prepare your own meats until ye're feeling better.

Can't go wrong with plum liqueur either. Cures all ills  =D
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2013, 05:39:15 am »

Bad news is, seems I got food poisoning, not sure exactly from what.
Hmm, well you got sick after that pasta dinner, so most likely that. The tomatoes might have done it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2013, 07:05:26 am »

If it was something at lunch I would guess the soya meat in the sauce actually. It was old and tasted a bit off. The tomatoes were fresh, doubt it was them. And it couldn't have been the chicken, everyone ate that. We don't have a cafeteria, it's a privately contracted catering company for preschools with very high standards so that would be very surprising.

Actually my biggest suspect is the syrup I put on the ice cream. It's been in the fridge a while with no preservatives and I just had a look at it, and it was a bit cloudy. I'll toss it just in case, along with the soya and the leftover pasta.

The worst has definitely passed. My stomach has calmed down and I've eaten a rice cake and a banana (very slowly). But I'm very weak and sore all over from the combination of not eating and lying in bed for too long without moving around or even getting proper rest. I feel feverish even though I don't seem to have a fever. My boss wants to know if I'm coming in to work tomorrow and I can't afford to miss more work if I don't have to. I told her I'll let her know for sure in the evening... Anyone know any good ways to relieve some of the soreness in my legs, hips, and back? I'm too weak to really move around much but lying in bed hurts more than sitting up. I'm hoping the banana will help. Sadly it's my last one. : /

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 07:33:32 am »

It takes a level of obsession and a systematic personality. : )

Good news and bad news. Good is that I wasn't imagining it or making excuses - I really was sick. Bad news is, seems I got food poisoning, not sure exactly from what. Anyone who's ever had food poisoning will know why that's such terrible news. Didn't sleep at all the whole night, horrible pain in my stomach like I was being stabbed, spent most of the night in the bathroom where my dinner decided to evacuate my stomach in two opposite and equally unpleasant directions. I seem to be recovering finally, but I haven't slept, had to call out of work, and haven't eaten anything that actually stayed in me since lunch yesterday. I'm keeping down some water and a bit of sports drink now to fight dehydration, might get brave and try some solid food soon. But I feel like a pile of shit, so I'm excusing myself from taking notes today. Will probably just lie in bed, although my joints are getting sore from being in bed for 12 hours already...

Agh, food poisoning is never fun. If you're feeling terrible after food poisoning; what I did was keep water and sodium levels up by having heavily diluted lemonade with salt and mint added, it's mildly refreshing and is much better as an electrolytic replacement drink than the sports drinks are.  Additionally, I consumed large amounts of protein and carbohydrates. This came in the form of tofu that had been lightly cooked in sweet chili sauce and placed in a bowl with boiled quinoa.

Of course, the anti-emetic properties of pears and apples may come in handy. (I'm not sure it's proven that malus species fruits are antiemetic, but it worked for me.)

Honey, if you're willing to take in that much sugar, is both delicious and mildly pain-relieving. If you can hold down a smoothie, I'd advise a banana smoothie.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2013, 07:44:01 am »

Ow... Okay, shortly after eating the banana the stabbing stomach pain came back, and more with every sip of water. Guess I'm not over it yet. I've heard making tea with a whole lemon including skin, sweetened with a bit of sugar, can help, so I'm going to try that. Just managed to wash the pot I use for boiling water for tea, which was no mean feat because it had last night's dinner dried on to it, so here goes nothing. I've also heard apples can help, and fortunately I have a few of those, so I'll try that too. The way things are going l'll have to miss another day of work, but I'm really hoping to avoid that!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:44 am »

Not sure if it helps with food poisoning but plain rice with some toasted bread (the hard crumbly variety) is the usual cure in my family.  Works well enough most of the time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:53 am »

Not sure if it helps with food poisoning but plain rice with some toasted bread (the hard crumbly variety) is the usual cure in my family.  Works well enough most of the time.

Carbohydrates ahoy. That's why.

Sappho, apples are anti-emetic, and do help with nausea too. I used to get nauseous after eating certain foods when I was younger, an apple practically instantly cured that. Pears work too, but are less effective.

(Additionally, foods high in Vitamin C are useful to cure nausea. These are: citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits), tomatoes, potatoes, cabbages, and green peppers/capsicums/bell peppers.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:53:06 am by Reudh »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2013, 09:02:32 am »

Owwwww... Lemon isn't helping. Whole lemon, juice squeezed out, plus skins, boiled in water with a dash of salt for 5 minutes, let cool. Every sip brings the stabbing pains back in my stomach. I guess I can try apple next. I'm a bit scared to eat anything else though...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17