Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Sappho Experiments On Herself - And You! [Summer Vacation!]  (Read 39825 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Gluten-Free Week]
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 01:29:48 am »

Pass on the recipe for the corn cake! I don't have too much of a sweet tooth these days but I don't mind eating more sweets, especially honey which isn't nearly as concentrated as pure sugar

It isn't as sweet as ordinary cake is for example. That is why it is good with honey (in this case the honey is much sweeter then the cake).

Though I'll take what you said as more of a "I am not against eating Corn Cake, I just don't want to go out of my way to make it when sweets aren't my thing"

I don't want to argue about herbal medicine.

Ehh we were kind done with that and no one was really against it.

Woke up with whole system feeling clogged up from allergies. Must be some new pollen in the air or something

To my knowledge you can actually look up pollen indexes. I'll try to find it for you!

http://www.meteovista.co.uk/Europe/Hay-fever-Czech-Republic/137

There... depending on where you live you can be having an absolutely terrible time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:32:41 am by Neonivek »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 05:05:25 am »

Thanks for that link, Neonivek! I've been trying to find something like that for this country but haven't been successful. It seems it hasn't changed in this past week though, which suggests that my increase in allergies is either the result of not drinking the tea, or of cutting gluten from my diet. As far as I know, gluten doesn't alleviate allergies, so it must be the tea.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 07:45:03 am »

Entire cultures live on little more than rice and beans and they seem to do just fine. East Asians are some of the healthiest people in the world, and their diet is based on these things and little else.

1 kg of pork is 34 元 which is 7€ and people eat a lot of it in the modern era. Average height is now 1.8 meters and growing. Never pretend that the old "eastern" diet was good. I mean, I suppose being small is cute on a girl, but if you're a man, you gotta eat meat.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

Actually, pork is quite affordable, but it's the one meat I really dislike the taste of.

I've actually just gotten some information about vitamin B12. Apparently it's crucial for a lot of neurological function, especially memory, and a deficiency can cause all kinds of issues including terrible memory, brain fog, and even signs of psychosis. My almost entirely vegetarian diet doesn't seem to include any sources of this important vitamin. Generally I consider all vitamin pill supplements to be hokum, but I talked to some other people with asperger syndrome who said they've had great success taking 2500 mg of B12 in pill form each day to help their memory issues. So I've decided that this gluten-free experiment will end after today, and tomorrow I will buy some B12 pills and start a new experiment, carefully tracking my cognitive function as I take the pills each day to see if there is any improvement.

Spoiler: Friday notes (click to show/hide)

Hopefully tomorrow I'll find time to neaten up the first post of this thread. I'll try to put each experiment in its own spoiler with the daily notes organized in each one. Eventually I will move the notes somewhere else, maybe Google docs for convenience, and just provide a link to each one. I'm looking forward to making the spreadsheets. Ohhhh beautiful, beautiful spreadsheets!!!  :D

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »

Hey, B12 IS good for you! :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 05:18:07 pm »

Yeah, I take sublingual B12.  Without it my anxiety problems used to be really bad.

(Also an AS person)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 06:40:40 pm »

Hmm, I should most likely check to see how much of each vitamin I take.

Oh yes, I recall getting a blood-test a while back. I have a deficiency of Vitamin D.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 02:20:38 am »

OK, the woman with the info from the doctor (she was sharing this revelation on wrongplanet.net) says I should start the following immediately if I'm showing signs of psychosis:

B12 - 2500 mcg/day
Niacinamide - 100 mcg/2xday
B-multivitamin

I have taiji training now and then a demonstration at a sports day for expats in the afternoon. After that I'll head to the pharmacy and grab these.

In other news, I'm feeling very nice about my breakfast this morning. I am officially off the gluten-free diet. I'll continue to keep track of my diet for general purposes.

Breakfast: A jar of peach-flavored baby food, Several large spoonfuls of Greek-style yogurt, and a large handful of piskoty (a very popular local snack which is basically ladyfingers shaped like nilla wafers). The piskoty are soaked in the babyfood for about 25 minutes to make them soft, then mixed with the yogurt. DELICIOUS and full of sugar. Unhealthy eating tastes soooo niiice. Anyway I think I've earned a treat, and it's way less unhealthy than, say, a bowl of chocolate cereal.
Also, a cup of coffee with soya milk and a spoon of raw sugar, a glass of watered-down apple juice, and a cup of anti-allergy tea.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:27:30 am by Sappho »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2013, 02:35:52 am »

1 kg of pork is 34 元 which is 7€ and people eat a lot of it in the modern era. Average height is now 1.8 meters and growing. Never pretend that the old "eastern" diet was good. I mean, I suppose being small is cute on a girl, but if you're a man, you gotta eat meat.
Not exactly true. Soy beans contain more protein for weight than meat. Most body builders enjoy a diet involving protein supplements that are made from soy beans. As for 1.8m average height, well... Not unless you are German.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 03:00:39 am »

Also, most of my male friends are vegetarians and have been since they were young teenagers (still growing), and all of them are very tall, some nearly 2 meters. Meat is hardly the main factor in how tall you are. And you can be perfectly healthy without meat.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 03:03:55 am »

Well, if you know how to have a balanced vegetarian diet, you can be very strong and healthy without meat. Having said that, you can't just decide to go vegetarian without doing some research first, otherwise you will end up with dietary deficiencies. Such as vitamin b12.

You can never have enough b12.  :P

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 03:51:17 am »

As for 1.8m average height, well... Not unless you are German.
It's 1.86m if you're from ex-Yugoslavia 8)

But yeah, I think it's more down to dairy consumption, having lots of calcium in diet can't be bad for bone growth. Though we do tend to eat meat in every meal, too.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2013, 09:57:46 am »

Gluten-free week is over but the pharmacies aren't open until Monday, so it looks like I'm on a break this weekend. Tomorrow morning after Taiji training I might head to the only pharmacy I know that's open on weekends and grab the pills to start that tomorrow. For now I'll just keep track of my food and overall mood, watch for any changes with the re-introduction of the gluten, and try to do some organizational things in my life like cleaning my apartment, catching up on drawing comics, finishing the preparations for my new adventurer succession game, and maybe fixing up the first post of this thread.

Spoiler: Saturday notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:37:04 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 05:36:33 am »

Spoiler: Sunday notes (click to show/hide)

I got some more information about vitamin B12. Apparently I should take it for a month and if I don't see any improvement, it's not helping, so I shouldn't waste my money on any more. If it does help I should see a doctor for full diagnosis. The month begins today. I'll make up a spreadsheet this afternoon to track my progress.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Vitamin B12 Month]
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2013, 06:11:11 am »

Shouldn't you go to your doctor *before* further fooling around? You can see whether you have a B12 deficit or not with a simple blood test, you know.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17